Notre Dame ED'ers Unite

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
flcath

Notre Dame ED'ers Unite

Postby flcath » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:23 am

Last edited by flcath on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

saltoftheearth

Re: Notre Dame ED'ers Unite

Postby saltoftheearth » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:32 am

flcath wrote:For UMich, I will be able to tell them that if they send me an acceptance--regardless of $$--I'll take it on the spot.

M already knows this from your decision to ED

but cool thread, I hope people rally

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:38 am

saltoftheearth wrote:
flcath wrote:For UMich, I will be able to tell them that if they send me an acceptance--regardless of $$--I'll take it on the spot.

Last edited by flcath on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:40 am

flcath wrote:
saltoftheearth wrote:

You know what's funny? That really fucking obvious observation you just made had honestly not occurred to me. I'm serious. I'd forgotten about that ED since I ED's at multiple places: UVA's 15-day rejection regimen, ND concurrently, and then UMich (after I was "freed" from UVA). Probably wouldn't hurt to remind them, regardless.

Edit: As you can see, I am a big fan of ED. I got into UG off of ED, too.

Not to threadjack (as I'm not an ED applicant to ND) but I'm a big ED gambler too. ED'd to my UG, ED'd to UCLA law, and was literally about to withdraw from my ED decision to UCLA to UVA the day UCLA accepted me. ED is the way to go.

sckon

Postby sckon » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:57 am

I am in this boat. I have some good full ride offers on the table from other schools. I am waiting on one more and then I am shooting an email seeing if I can get more scholarship. I was Ed at Michigan, but I believe that ship had sailed when they deferred me (I have no chance of getting in). ND is where I am going in all likelihood.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:17 pm

sckon wrote:I am in this boat. I have some good full ride offers on the table from other schools. I am waiting on one more and then I am shooting an email seeing if I can get more scholarship. I was Ed at Michigan, but I believe that ship had sailed when they deferred me (I have no chance of getting in). ND is where I am going in all likelihood.
Last edited by flcath on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 2807 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:27 pm

Is there a place on this site where I can get a list of what all of the abbreviations mean?

I believe ED is "early decision" , can someone explain that to a new guy? I grasp the concept, but I thought that you can only choose ED with one school and that tells them that if they take you--you promise to go. This thread (and others) read as if people ED with multiple schools..and that confuses me...

Thanks in advance for any help

angiej

Postby angiej » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:51 pm

I have every intention of applying to ND next year. I grew up a few miles away and still live in the area. But I'm wary of ED/EA because I will need to rely on scholarships even if this means attending a lower-ranked school. My fear is that applying ED/EA will diminish any scholarship hopes since schools seem less eager to extend offers to ED/EA applicants.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:07 pm

angiej wrote:I have every intention of applying to ND next year. I grew up a few miles away and still live in the area. But I'm wary of ED/EA because I will need to rely on scholarships even if this means attending a lower-ranked school. My fear is that applying ED/EA will diminish any scholarship hopes since schools seem less eager to extend offers to ED/EA applicants.

Eh. My honest opinion: it (the ED program) sucks right now, of course, but I think the trade-off is worth it. ND gets a ton of applicants with numbers in between its 25-75%, and they do seem to heavily favor the ED'ers. I'm willing to take the stress of January--making sure that, if there are any better offers out there, they get into my hands before 1/29--in return for the comfort of November and December, which I spent with an ND acceptance (and scholarship) in my pocket.

angiej

Postby angiej » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:26 pm

flcath wrote:
angiej wrote:I have every intention of applying to ND next year. I grew up a few miles away and still live in the area. But I'm wary of ED/EA because I will need to rely on scholarships even if this means attending a lower-ranked school. My fear is that applying ED/EA will diminish any scholarship hopes since schools seem less eager to extend offers to ED/EA applicants.

Eh. My honest opinion: it (the ED program) sucks right now, of course, but I think the trade-off is worth it. ND gets a ton of applicants with numbers in between its 25-75%, and they do seem to heavily favor the ED'ers. I'm willing to take the stress of January--making sure that, if there are any better offers out there, they get into my hands before 1/29--in return for the comfort of November and December, which I spent with an ND acceptance (and scholarship) in my pocket.

Congrats on your acceptance and scholly! I would be curious to know how many EDers are receive scholarships. May I ask what your numbers are? (PM me if you'd prefer)

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:43 pm

angiej wrote:Congrats on your acceptance and scholly! I would be curious to know how many EDers are receive scholarships. May I ask what your numbers are? (PM me if you'd prefer)

PM'ed the numbers. I don't know about ED'ers specifically, but for *all* incoming students:

72.9% of students receive some scholarship assistance
54.6% of students receive 0 to 49.9% tuition
18% of students receive 50% to 99.9% tuition
.4% of students (~2 students per class) receive full tuition

The median grant amount (this means the median student **of the 72.9% that get a grant at all**) is $13,000/yr.

All Notre Dame scholarships are contingent only upon maintaining good standing (2.0 GPA).

Edit: This means that 36.45% of students get $13K or greater while 63.55% of students get $13K or less. Given that the amount I received was substantially higher than $13K/yr, while my stats are not substantially higher than the ND medians (my GPA is actually much lower), I think it's fair to postulate that ED applicants get a significant boost in scholarship considerations.

angiej

Postby angiej » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:04 am

flcath wrote:
angiej wrote:Congrats on your acceptance and scholly! I would be curious to know how many EDers are receive scholarships. May I ask what your numbers are? (PM me if you'd prefer)

PM'ed the numbers. I don't know about ED'ers specifically, but for *all* incoming students:

The median grant amount (this means the median student **of the 72.9% that get a grant at all**) is $13,000/yr.

All Notre Dame scholarships are contingent only upon maintaining good standing (2.0 GPA).

Edit: This means that 36.45% of students get $13K or greater while 63.55% of students get $13K or less. Given that the amount I received was substantially higher than $13K/yr, while my stats are not substantially higher than the ND medians (my GPA is actually much lower), I think it's fair to postulate that ED applicants get a significant boost in scholarship considerations.

Wow! That's great! You've made my day!

sckon

Postby sckon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:41 am

flcath wrote:
sckon wrote:I am in this boat. I have some good full ride offers on the table from other schools. I am waiting on one more and then I am shooting an email seeing if I can get more scholarship. I was Ed at Michigan, but I believe that ship had sailed when they deferred me (I have no chance of getting in). ND is where I am going in all likelihood.
I'm visiting ND (they pay for it, btw, the form is hidden on the AS site) ON the 29th of January. How awesome is that? You been yet?

Yeah I only live 2 hours away so I visited in the fall. I was blown away. Absolutely amazing. The only thing which was disappointing was the library was not completed but it will be nice when finish from what I hear. All the students are really helpful and friendly which is in part due to the no class rank IMO.

sckon

Postby sckon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:42 am

flcath wrote:

This is a highly credited response from what I have noticed also.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:45 am

In case anyone hasn't seen these.

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

^^Jesus Christ. I mean that in a totally non-sacrilegious way...

Here's the law school. Only half of the LS is finished (the newer half, oddly enough), but even without the old building (which is the more aesthetically pleasing building, and the one that will contain the library) it's still pretty:

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

sckon

Postby sckon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:10 am

I think the coolest part of the law school, and I forget the precise name, but the student lounge in between the classrooms and the library. It seems like a nice place to just chill. They have a little deli place and the place has an abundance of flat screen tvs from what I remember. Really seemed relaxed and a nice place to hang out.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:19 pm

Congratulations to everyone who got in, would you mind sharing when you were notified? I'd really appreciate if someone who was in the first batch of apps in could give us a ballpark for when to expect to be notified in the next application cycle.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”