LSN, Berk accepts everyone?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
njskatchmo

LSN, Berk accepts everyone?

Postby njskatchmo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:51 am

Last edited by njskatchmo on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MC Southstar

Re: LSN, Berk accepts everyone?

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:52 am

njskatchmo wrote:Can anyone explain why Berkeley has only 1 rejection so far on LSN, and a lot of lower gpa acceptances?

Cuz they didn't feel like being mean yet?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:13 am

njskatchmo wrote:Can anyone explain why Berkeley has only 1 rejection so far on LSN, and a lot of lower gpa acceptances?

The University of California has decided to make up its entire budget shortfall by ordering Berkeley Law to accept all 8,000 of its applicants this year. Because most of those applicants aren't getting into other schools in the top 10, Berkeley's yield will be extraordinarily high. With over 7,000 1Ls paying full tuition at Berkeley next year, the UC system will take in about 300 million dollars.

It's true, of course, that the lower LSAT median, lower GPA median, and rather unfavorable faculty-to-student ratio will push Berkeley well out of the T14 for the April 2011 USNWR rankings, but the law school will have succeeded in subsidizing the rest of the UC system in the meantime.

saltoftheearth

Postby saltoftheearth » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:24 am

Dignan wrote:

The University of California has decided to make up its entire budget shortfall by ordering Berkeley Law to accept all 8,000 of its applicants this year. Because most of those applicants aren't getting into other schools in the top 10, Berkeley's yield will be extraordinarily high. With over 7,000 1Ls paying full tuition at Berkeley next year, the UC system will take in about 300 million dollars.

It's true, of course, that the lower LSAT median, lower GPA median, and rather unfavorable faculty-to-student ratio will push Berkeley well out of the T14 for the April 2011 USNWR rankings, but the law school will have succeeded in subsidizing the rest of the UC system in the meantime.

:lol: !

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:31 am

Because I haven't applied yet.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:36 am

Dignan wrote:

There's a lot I could say about this issue, but since the last time I went off topic it completely effed up the thread, I'll just say that this was very amusing.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:45 am

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sun May 10, 2015 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

gprime

Postby gprime » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Could it have something to do with LSN users who report their application data being a self-selecting pool not representative of the applicant pool at large?

wired

Postby wired » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:33 pm

gprime wrote:Could it have something to do with LSN users who report their application data being a self-selecting pool not representative of the applicant pool at large?

You (and I) would think that. Thing is, the more I look at the numbers on LSN, the more I am convinced that they are representative of the entire applicant pool. I am preparing a bunch of charts and graphs (I've prepared a lecture) that looks at the numbers for the Top 14, UCLA, UT, Vandy, WUSTL, USC, and GW to see how much they match up. So far, my opinion is that they don't mirror them exactly, but they do a really good job of approximating across the board (e.g. comparing GW's acceptance grid against acceptance numbers in GW, you see very similar numbers... we'll see how similar when I do some basic statistical analysis.)

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:37 pm

wired wrote:
gprime wrote:Could it have something to do with LSN users who report their application data being a self-selecting pool not representative of the applicant pool at large?

You (and I) would think that. Thing is, the more I look at the numbers on LSN, the more I am convinced that they are representative of the entire applicant pool. I am preparing a bunch of charts and graphs (I've prepared a lecture) that looks at the numbers for the Top 14, UCLA, UT, Vandy, WUSTL, USC, and GW to see how much they match up. So far, my opinion is that they don't mirror them exactly, but they do a really good job of approximating across the board (e.g. comparing GW's acceptance grid against acceptance numbers in GW, you see very similar numbers... we'll see how similar when I do some basic statistical analysis.)

Postal Service, FTW!

wired

Postby wired » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:05 pm

OGR3 wrote:
wired wrote:

Postal Service, FTW!

+1 for the gold.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”