LSN, Berk accepts everyone?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
njskatchmo
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 pm

LSN, Berk accepts everyone?

Postby njskatchmo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:51 am

.
Last edited by njskatchmo on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: LSN, Berk accepts everyone?

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:52 am

njskatchmo wrote:Can anyone explain why Berkeley has only 1 rejection so far on LSN, and a lot of lower gpa acceptances?


Cuz they didn't feel like being mean yet?

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: LSN, Berk accepts everyone?

Postby Dignan » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:13 am

njskatchmo wrote:Can anyone explain why Berkeley has only 1 rejection so far on LSN, and a lot of lower gpa acceptances?

The University of California has decided to make up its entire budget shortfall by ordering Berkeley Law to accept all 8,000 of its applicants this year. Because most of those applicants aren't getting into other schools in the top 10, Berkeley's yield will be extraordinarily high. With over 7,000 1Ls paying full tuition at Berkeley next year, the UC system will take in about 300 million dollars.

It's true, of course, that the lower LSAT median, lower GPA median, and rather unfavorable faculty-to-student ratio will push Berkeley well out of the T14 for the April 2011 USNWR rankings, but the law school will have succeeded in subsidizing the rest of the UC system in the meantime.

User avatar
saltoftheearth
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: LSN, Berk accepts everyone?

Postby saltoftheearth » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:24 am

Dignan wrote:
njskatchmo wrote:Can anyone explain why Berkeley has only 1 rejection so far on LSN, and a lot of lower gpa acceptances?

The University of California has decided to make up its entire budget shortfall by ordering Berkeley Law to accept all 8,000 of its applicants this year. Because most of those applicants aren't getting into other schools in the top 10, Berkeley's yield will be extraordinarily high. With over 7,000 1Ls paying full tuition at Berkeley next year, the UC system will take in about 300 million dollars.

It's true, of course, that the lower LSAT median, lower GPA median, and rather unfavorable faculty-to-student ratio will push Berkeley well out of the T14 for the April 2011 USNWR rankings, but the law school will have succeeded in subsidizing the rest of the UC system in the meantime.



:lol: !

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: LSN, Berk accepts everyone?

Postby los blancos » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:31 am

Because I haven't applied yet.

b.j.
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:06 am

Re: LSN, Berk accepts everyone?

Postby b.j. » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:36 am

Dignan wrote:
njskatchmo wrote:Can anyone explain why Berkeley has only 1 rejection so far on LSN, and a lot of lower gpa acceptances?

The University of California has decided to make up its entire budget shortfall by ordering Berkeley Law to accept all 8,000 of its applicants this year. Because most of those applicants aren't getting into other schools in the top 10, Berkeley's yield will be extraordinarily high. With over 7,000 1Ls paying full tuition at Berkeley next year, the UC system will take in about 300 million dollars.

It's true, of course, that the lower LSAT median, lower GPA median, and rather unfavorable faculty-to-student ratio will push Berkeley well out of the T14 for the April 2011 USNWR rankings, but the law school will have succeeded in subsidizing the rest of the UC system in the meantime.



There's a lot I could say about this issue, but since the last time I went off topic it completely effed up the thread, I'll just say that this was very amusing.

User avatar
Anastasia Dee Dualla
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 am

Re: LSN, Berk accepts everyone?

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:45 am

.
Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sun May 10, 2015 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

gprime
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:24 am

Re: LSN, Berk accepts everyone?

Postby gprime » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Could it have something to do with LSN users who report their application data being a self-selecting pool not representative of the applicant pool at large?

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: LSN, Berk accepts everyone?

Postby wired » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:33 pm

gprime wrote:Could it have something to do with LSN users who report their application data being a self-selecting pool not representative of the applicant pool at large?


You (and I) would think that. Thing is, the more I look at the numbers on LSN, the more I am convinced that they are representative of the entire applicant pool. I am preparing a bunch of charts and graphs (I've prepared a lecture) that looks at the numbers for the Top 14, UCLA, UT, Vandy, WUSTL, USC, and GW to see how much they match up. So far, my opinion is that they don't mirror them exactly, but they do a really good job of approximating across the board (e.g. comparing GW's acceptance grid against acceptance numbers in GW, you see very similar numbers... we'll see how similar when I do some basic statistical analysis.)

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: LSN, Berk accepts everyone?

Postby OGR3 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:37 pm

wired wrote:
gprime wrote:Could it have something to do with LSN users who report their application data being a self-selecting pool not representative of the applicant pool at large?


You (and I) would think that. Thing is, the more I look at the numbers on LSN, the more I am convinced that they are representative of the entire applicant pool. I am preparing a bunch of charts and graphs (I've prepared a lecture) that looks at the numbers for the Top 14, UCLA, UT, Vandy, WUSTL, USC, and GW to see how much they match up. So far, my opinion is that they don't mirror them exactly, but they do a really good job of approximating across the board (e.g. comparing GW's acceptance grid against acceptance numbers in GW, you see very similar numbers... we'll see how similar when I do some basic statistical analysis.)


Postal Service, FTW!

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: LSN, Berk accepts everyone?

Postby wired » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:05 pm

OGR3 wrote:
wired wrote:
gprime wrote:Could it have something to do with LSN users who report their application data being a self-selecting pool not representative of the applicant pool at large?


You (and I) would think that. Thing is, the more I look at the numbers on LSN, the more I am convinced that they are representative of the entire applicant pool. I am preparing a bunch of charts and graphs (I've prepared a lecture) that looks at the numbers for the Top 14, UCLA, UT, Vandy, WUSTL, USC, and GW to see how much they match up. So far, my opinion is that they don't mirror them exactly, but they do a really good job of approximating across the board (e.g. comparing GW's acceptance grid against acceptance numbers in GW, you see very similar numbers... we'll see how similar when I do some basic statistical analysis.)


Postal Service, FTW!


+1 for the gold.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests