DUI

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sternc

DUI

Postby sternc » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:04 pm

I was arrested twice my freshman year for minor in possession of alcohol and was subsequently suspended from school for a semester. This all occurred before the start of my first semester of sophmore year (the one I was suspended for). After staying out of trouble I was recently (Oct. 25th, 2009) charged with DUI. I have not been convicted of anything and the charges are still pending. I have a 3.9 GPA and scored a 167 on the December test. I want to apply to schools like Texas (I am from Texas), Virginia, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, SMU (safety), Emory, Cal, and Southern California. My question is this: should I skip this entire application process for this cycle, besides SMU who I have already sent my app into, or what? Do you think they want to see a year removed from this for any shot or what? Also, if denied from one of these schools during this cycle, will that have a negative effect on my chances for next year's cycle. It's a shitty situation, but one that I have to deal with. Thanks for any insight.

jks289

Re: DUI

Postby jks289 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:10 pm

sternc wrote:I was arrested twice my freshman year for minor in possession of alcohol and was subsequently suspended from school for a semester. This all occurred before the start of my first semester of sophmore year (the one I was suspended for). After staying out of trouble I was recently (Oct. 25th, 2009) charged with DUI. I have not been convicted of anything and the charges are still pending. I have a 3.9 GPA and scored a 167 on the December test. I want to apply to schools like Texas (I am from Texas), Virginia, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, SMU (safety), Emory, Cal, and Southern California. My question is this: should I skip this entire application process for this cycle, besides SMU who I have already sent my app into, or what? Do you think they want to see a year removed from this for any shot or what? Also, if denied from one of these schools during this cycle, will that have a negative effect on my chances for next year's cycle. It's a shitty situation, but one that I have to deal with. Thanks for any insight.

I think you can still apply this cycle. You need to write an extremely contrite addendum. Say this incident is embarrassing and in no way speaks to your character.
I would also try to get an additional LOR that speaks directly to your character and this incident.

You made a mistake. It isn't the end of the world. Just own up to it and adcoms will see it with proper perspective.

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:10 pm

tough question. i don't have any experience with this, so my opinion is pure conjecture. but since schools are so concerned with numbers, and seeing as your issues are relatively minor, and you have strong numbers, i don't think it will hurt you to apply now.

also, im nearly positive this cycle will be much more competitive than last year. as far as next year's cycle, i'm not sure, but i would guess it would be pretty similar to this year's. take that for what it's worth.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:38 pm

Last edited by vamedic03 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:48 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
sternc wrote:I was arrested twice my freshman year for minor in possession of alcohol and was subsequently suspended from school for a semester. This all occurred before the start of my first semester of sophmore year (the one I was suspended for). After staying out of trouble I was recently (Oct. 25th, 2009) charged with DUI. I have not been convicted of anything and the charges are still pending. I have a 3.9 GPA and scored a 167 on the December test. I want to apply to schools like Texas (I am from Texas), Virginia, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, SMU (safety), Emory, Cal, and Southern California. My question is this: should I skip this entire application process for this cycle, besides SMU who I have already sent my app into, or what? Do you think they want to see a year removed from this for any shot or what? Also, if denied from one of these schools during this cycle, will that have a negative effect on my chances for next year's cycle. It's a shitty situation, but one that I have to deal with. Thanks for any insight.

I would strongly suggest entering into an alcohol abuse program - I know that you probably don't have an alcohol problem, but, based on your history schools will be concerned that you show signs of dependency and may have problems with a bar's C&F. By entering into a program, you show that you are proactively taking care of this.

Also, don't call it a simple embarrassing incident - a DUI is as serious a misdemeanor that you can get - both fines and jail time are possible. Take it seriously and show the law schools that you recognize the gravity of the charge!

It's an "embarrassing incident" if OP wasn't intoxicated and was arrested anyway (believe me, it happens).

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:51 pm

Last edited by vamedic03 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sternc

Postby sternc » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:32 am

I know it does not matter, but I'll explain the DUI a little more clearly. I was pulled over for speeding at 11 am after a night long fraternity camping trip. I was driving back from South Carolina to Georgia after a heavy (very) night and day of drinking and blew a .09. I know that admins will not necessarily care about this, but I figured I might as well disclose. This is my addendum. What do y'all think?

During my freshmen year of college I was arrested twice for underage possession of alcohol. As a result of these minor in possession of alcohol charges and the University of Georgia's school-wide alcohol policy, I was suspended from the university for one semester (fall semester of 2007). These arrests were the result of poor decisions, an attitude of entitlement, and regrettable actions. Unfortunately, another poor decision resulted in a recent arrest for driving under the influence of alcohol (October 25th, 2009). At this point, a court date has not even been set, but a verdict regarding my case should be known within the next month or two. I completely understand the severity of these actions and am determined to not let them define me. I wish there was something I could do to make these things disappear, but I know that is impossible. The only things I can do are move forward, learn, and try to turn a very negative situation into a positive. I know that the personal growth and increase in maturity that took place over the two-plus years after my suspension were legitimate, as opposed to one mistake, and I am more determined than ever to demonstrate this. I am not willing to let alcohol or immaturities define me, and in that light, I have enrolled in an alcohol abuse program. I am confident in my level of personal responsibility and accountability, and will work to show that my time making the right choices and numerous examples of responsibility and maturity are more reflective of my character than these regrettable situations and decisions.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:00 pm

sternc wrote:This is my addendum. What do y'all think?

During my freshmen year of college I was arrested twice for underage possession of alcohol. As a result of these minor in possession of alcohol charges and the University of Georgia's school-wide alcohol policy, I was suspended from the university for one semester (fall semester of 2007). These arrests were the result of poor decisions, an attitude of entitlement, and regrettable actions. Unfortunately, another poor decision resulted in a recent arrest for driving under the influence of alcohol (October 25th, 2009). At this point, a court date has not even been set, but a verdict regarding my case should be known within the next month or two. I completely understand the severity of these actions and am determined to not let them define me. I wish there was something I could do to make these things disappear, but I know that is impossible. The only things I can do are move forward, learn, and try to turn a very negative situation into a positive. I know that the personal growth and increase in maturity that took place over the two-plus years after my suspension were legitimate, as opposed to one mistake, and I am more determined than ever to demonstrate this. I am not willing to let alcohol or immaturities define me, and in that light, I have enrolled in an alcohol abuse program. I am confident in my level of personal responsibility and accountability, and will work to show that my time making the right choices and numerous examples of responsibility and maturity are more reflective of my character than these regrettable situations and decisions.

Damn. Getting pulled over just a few months ago is not good.

Your statement is likely to go over better if you sit out a cycle. Sucks, but I think adcomms would consider your file in a different context that might go better for you: "Okay, dude's had a year to think about it, and he got some help. He's had a clean record for a year, so maybe he's learned his lesson."

Otherwise, you're basically asking them to just take your word that this won't happen again. Not convincing. You knew you wanted to go to law school in October, and you knew that doing bad things could hurt the attainment of your goals, but you still got liquored up and something bad happened. Your statement above won't resolve that doubt in the minds of adcomms no matter how perfectly it's crafted, IMO.

If you do go ahead and apply this cycle:

Definitely take out the "attitude of entitlement" bit, even if true. You don't want that image of you to be in an adcomm's mind.

I would also take out or soften the part about a verdict being pending. Just say that the court date is pending. Who cares about the verdict? You know whether you were driving drunk or not.

I also believe that saying less is more: "I made mistakes. Here are the mistakes. I recognize that these mistakes were the result of incredibly poor judgment. I am taking these specific actions to address this behavior. Through these actions I hope to demonstrate that I am taking responsibility for my actions, and will not repeat them again going forward."

Don't go any further than that. Disclosure, acceptance of fault, demonstration of accountability and mitigation. No excuses, no flowery language. Be straight up and take the hit. You may get dinged at some schools, but you'll probably get dinged at more by saying too much rather than taking the rap straight up.

I would also consider doing some hardcore community service to demonstrate some serious contrition. Assuming that you were driving drunk, your actions could have gotten someone killed.

Good luck.

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:33 pm

sternc wrote:During my freshmen year of college I was arrested twice for underage possession of alcohol. As a result of these minor in possession of alcohol charges and the University of Georgia's school-wide alcohol policy, I was suspended from the university for one semester (fall semester of 2007). These arrests were the result of poor decisions, an attitude of entitlement, and regrettable actions. Unfortunately, another poor decision resulted in a recent arrest for driving under the influence of alcohol (October 25th, 2009). At this point, a court date has not even been set, but a verdict regarding my case should be known within the next month or two. I completely understand the severity of these actions and am determined to not let them define me. I wish there was something I could do to make these things disappear, but I know that is impossible. The only things I can do are move forward, learn, and try to turn a very negative situation into a positive. I know that the personal growth and increase in maturity that took place over the two-plus years after my suspension were legitimate, as opposed to one mistake, and I am more determined than ever to demonstrate this. I am not willing to let alcohol or immaturities define me, and in that light, I have enrolled in an alcohol abuse program. I am confident in my level of personal responsibility and accountability, and will work to show that my time making the right choices and numerous examples of responsibility and maturity are more reflective of my character than these regrettable situations and decisions.

It's too long. Get rid of the flowery words and don't restate things that you already disclosed. An addendum should be short and sweet, just a few sentences. Three or four, max. (1) State what you did, (2) you know it's wrong, (3) it won't happen again, and (4) GOOD choice to emphasize the AA program.

Good luck.

sternc

Postby sternc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:10 pm

new version, what do you think?

During my freshmen year of college I was arrested twice, once for possession of a fake identification and underage possession of alcohol and once more for underage possession of alcohol. As a result of the minor in possession of alcohol charges and the University of Georgia's school-wide alcohol policy, I was suspended from the university for one semester (fall semester of 2007). These arrests were the result of poor decisions and regrettable actions. Unfortunately, another poor decision resulted in a recent arrest for driving under the influence of alcohol (October 25th, 2009). A court date for this charge should be known within the next four to six weeks. These incidents, most specifically the recent DUI, are highly embarrassing and could have caused horrific repercussions that extended much further than my immediate future. I am not willing to let alcohol define me, and in that light, I have enrolled in an alcohol abuse program. I am confident in my level of personal responsibility and accountability, and am determined to show that the confidence I have in myself can be shared by others.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:22 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

llawguru

Postby llawguru » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:52 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Think about this from an adcoms perspective. If I were reading your application, I would have two major concerns.
1) What are the chances this applicant will have a positive impact on my campus and on my law school both during attendance and after graduation in his/her career? What are the chances he/she will have a negative impact on the same?
2) Is it worth admitting this applicant with the ever present risk that he/she will not be able to attend due to his/her sentencing for this recent DUI if he/she is found guilty? (especially with past alcohol related offenses)

This won't be a problem. First DUI rarely results in jail time, and if it were it would be no more than 1 week with the rest of the time suspended.

umichgrad03

Postby umichgrad03 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:31 pm

llawguru wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:Think about this from an adcoms perspective. If I were reading your application, I would have two major concerns.
1) What are the chances this applicant will have a positive impact on my campus and on my law school both during attendance and after graduation in his/her career? What are the chances he/she will have a negative impact on the same?
2) Is it worth admitting this applicant with the ever present risk that he/she will not be able to attend due to his/her sentencing for this recent DUI if he/she is found guilty? (especially with past alcohol related offenses)

This won't be a problem. First DUI rarely results in jail time, and if it were it would be no more than 1 week with the rest of the time suspended.

I politely disagree.
It depends on what state you are in. First time offenders in AZ (not extreme DUIs) face up to 10 days in jail and a $250 fine. Second time is up to 90 days in jail. Extreme DUIs necessitate a harsher penalty...for many it's an automatic 90 days in jail if you have a BAC above 15% and you are a first time offender. We have several people sentenced to jail for first time DUIs.

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:34 pm

Apply now. My buddy was in a very very similar situation last year. Got his DUI a about 2 months before apply...he had a 169 and a 3.9 gpa.....he got into georgetown and duke to name a couple....

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:38 am

itsfine wrote:Apply now. My buddy was in a very very similar situation last year. Got his DUI a about 2 months before apply...he had a 169 and a 3.9 gpa.....he got into georgetown and duke to name a couple....

Was it your buddy's first offense? This seems to be the OP's third offense if found guilty.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:35 am

We got into a long discussion about this with someone who had multiple alcohol related offenses last year. The general advice was to put some time between his application and the most recent arrest. He applied anyway and got quite a few acceptances. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=52321
Turns out a lot of schools are such number whores that they don't care if you got a alcohol problem.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:04 am

I don't know if this helps, but...

I just graduated from the University of Georgia this past December. Freshman year, I received the charges of DUI, MIP, open container, and fake ID. That is my only arrest, but it was a big one. I spoke to the pre-law advisor at the school, and she said that I should be fine. My GPA is 3.7 and my average practice test score is 166-167, but I am not officially taking the LSAT until February. She said that all charges should be addressed and to be honest and apologetic when addressing them. The incident occurred Spring 2007, so nearly three years have passed in my case, making it a little different from yours.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”