Post December LSAT Fee Waivers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mango26

Re: Post December LSAT Fee Waivers?

Postby mango26 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:14 pm

just got Seton Hall fee waiver...it seems a lot of admissions offices are closed until at least monday so hopefully we can expect more come next week

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:17 pm

mango26 wrote:just got Seton Hall fee waiver...it seems a lot of admissions offices are closed until at least monday so hopefully we can expect more come next week

also just got. NJ + its ranking = me not applying. If if was either NJ or the ranking I'd consider it, though. Do you think it would be inappropriate to respond and request they don't send me the print materials they plan to? I hate wasting all these trees.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:21 pm

I just got an unsolicited one from Seton Hall.

My luck must be turning around! :D

edit...I guess you guys beat me to it.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:43 pm

UVA and Cardozo here as well.

ShiftyOne

Postby ShiftyOne » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:46 pm

Just got unsolicited emails from Villanova, Cardozo, Virginia, and Cleveland State.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:55 pm

Idk why, but I get relatively little contact from schools.. only top schools that have contacted me are uva, gtown, and duke.. Im hoping its just bcause I marked that Im not entering law school til 2011 on CRS.. Im really hoping its not because of my state school undergrad..

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:02 am

I received the Cardozo and Cleveland-Marshall emails, but no UVA :( I sent UVA an email, though, since it appears that they enjoy giving them away.

I also sent to:
Boston U.
Northwestern
WUSTL
Vermont
Colorado-Boulder

I tried to send one to William and Mary, but both times the email was returned, saying "Over quota". I assume this means their inbox is full!?!. Law admissions must be quite the hectic job!

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:06 am

sibley wrote:I really want to bother to get a fee waiver for UC schools but I'm just too lazy to fill out that form for every single one.

+just got one from UVA

I also got one from UVA, but I believed it is too late for me to apply.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:43 am

$12 app = never too late to apply

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:49 am

sibley wrote:$12 app = never too late to apply

TITCR (my first use of this acronym)

Raskolnikoff

Postby Raskolnikoff » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:53 am

Has anyone else noted that schools that either have no application fees (UIUC, UCI, W&L) or are willful to waive them (WUSTL) most of the time ask for a "Why X" essay? So you do save the ~$70, but make it up elsewhere.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:13 am

Heh. All I saw on my WUSTL was a little bitty box asking why I was interested in applying. I wrote like two sentences in it.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:28 pm

Woke up this morning after sending out about 35 fee waiver requests to a few quick responses.

They were:
WUSTL
UConn
Colorado-Boulder
Iowa (though they asked for a copy of the score report). If you have a 165 or above on the LSAT, Iowa will automatically give you a merit fee waiver. Pretty good deal.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:51 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:Woke up this morning after sending out about 35 fee waiver requests to a few quick responses.

They were:
WUSTL
UConn
Colorado-Boulder
Iowa (though they asked for a copy of the score report). If you have a 165 or above on the LSAT, Iowa will automatically give you a merit fee waiver. Pretty good deal.

I sent a request to uconn last night, but have yet to hear back. I assume the response was positive?

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:56 pm

Received Iowa unsolicited. I guess now I need to find the dark recess of my mind wherein it would be acceptable to live in Iowa for three years.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:06 pm

Lonagan wrote:Received Iowa unsolicited. I guess now I need to find the dark recess of my mind wherein it would be acceptable to live in Iowa for three years.

haha. gl with that!

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:10 pm

moandersen wrote:
I sent a request to uconn last night, but have yet to hear back. I assume the response was positive?

Yes, they gave me a code.

Oh, and Lonagan, Iowa is boring, but Iowa City is actually a pretty great college town. The University is obviously very highly regarded in almost every field, and there's a good amount of intellectual stimulus to be found. Obviously, sports are huge there too.

All that being said, there are many other schools just as good with much more interesting surroundings. Must be why Iowa gives out so many full rides to top-notch numbers.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:29 pm

do you all think that the uva fee waivers that were emailed yesterday are the last ones for the december test? i did not get one, but am maybe hoping they are sending more next week? (my numbers are very low for them, but i am in-state and trying to decide if i should just go ahead and submit my app)

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:38 pm

mango26 wrote:do you all think that the uva fee waivers that were emailed yesterday are the last ones for the december test? i did not get one, but am maybe hoping they are sending more next week? (my numbers are very low for them, but i am in-state and trying to decide if i should just go ahead and submit my app)

If your numbers are low for them I don't think they're going to send you an unsolicited waiver. Email them and ask for one instead.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:41 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:
moandersen wrote:

Yes, they gave me a code.

Just got the code....now where do I put it?

ornbarn

Postby ornbarn » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:00 pm

has anyone gotten any unsolicited ones today?

I got Cardozo, Cleveland-Marshall, Villanova, and UVA yesterday, but no one today.

I also got really nice replies from Michigan, Vanderbilt, and Columbia saying that they use CRS for merit-based fee waivers. (Michigan specifically said they've gotten so many requests for fee waivers that they are now just using CRS, and if for some reason you would qualify but you never the email, you won't pay the fee at checkout.)

I also got a cold reply from Chicago saying they use CRS.

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:10 pm

ornbarn wrote:has anyone gotten any unsolicited ones today?

I got Gonzaga today.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:14 pm

I didn't get any today. I got a few cold ones, to which I responded inquiring if my LSAT was sufficient (I had originally just put my financial aid info). One I caught at the last minute - the assistant dean of admin added that they also don't give out merit-based. Boy, that would have gotten me rejected fast. Want to go to law school and can't even read...

vanstone22

Postby vanstone22 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:40 pm

I got Cardozo, Cleveland-Marshall, Villanova, and UVA yesterday, but no one today.

I also got really nice replies from Michigan, Vanderbilt, and Columbia saying that they use CRS for merit-based fee waivers. (Michigan specifically said they've gotten so many requests for fee waivers that they are now just using CRS, and if for some reason you would qualify but you never the email, you won't pay the fee at checkout.)

What are you requesting in these emails? I sent one to WUSTL but I'm not sure if my format was correct.
Also, does Chicago's reply mean that if you didnt get one via email you're not getting one?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:51 pm

vanstone22 wrote:

What are you requesting in these emails? I sent one to WUSTL but I'm not sure if my format was correct.
Also, does Chicago's reply mean that if you didnt get one via email you're not getting one?

Sending your LSAT score and/or GPA (depending on the strength of both relative to the school) in a polite email is generally sufficient if they're going to give you one a merit based one without the CRS. If they say they want financial aid stuff, they'll either have a form for you to fill out (like Duke) or you can just send them a screenshot of your undergrad finaid info from this year if they don't and you think it's going to make an impression. Those two approaches are what have worked for me.
Last edited by stratocophic on Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”