Post December LSAT Fee Waivers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rw2264

Re: Post December LSAT Fee Waivers

Postby rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:45 pm

i'm freaking out (without too much logical basis) about my chances of getting in-state tuition at UC schools since i've been out of the state for 3 months (and won't be back until maybe august). maybe we should all go hang out on USS: Bitter Pessimism

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:50 pm

rw2264 wrote: maybe we should all go hang out on USS: Bitter Pessimism

and sink even further into the abyss? I'm not sure...
Though I think it's time for another one of those 'where is this relationship heading' convos. Because it's about the only step I can take.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:56 pm

sibley wrote:

Though I think it's time for another one of those 'where is this relationship heading' convos. Because it's about the only step I can take.

this strikes me as a bad plan

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:57 pm

sibley wrote:

urrrrgh that is not a fun conversation. your SO hasn't unconditionally agreed to follow you to the ends of the earth? that would make things easier, or harder.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:58 pm

IAFG wrote:
sibley wrote:

this strikes me as a bad plan

me too. I'm just that antsy. maybe I should wait until I see where I get in...

and, rw, nope. we've agreed that we don't know where we're headed, but if we're headed somewhere good I will either transfer or he will follow me. his following me would be easier.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:59 pm

I hope this doesn't turn into 3 pages of relationship counseling. We were so nice and focused on fee-waivers.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:00 pm

cubswin wrote:I hope this doesn't turn into 3 pages of relationship counseling. We were so nice and focused on fee-waivers.

at this point we should all just suck it up and apply.. cut our losses. assume that now it's better to spend the money than not, for the sake of scholies and such...

also I need to change my avatar. people keep thinking I'm a boy.

booboo

Postby booboo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:04 pm

sibley wrote:
cubswin wrote:I hope this doesn't turn into 3 pages of relationship counseling. We were so nice and focused on fee-waivers.

at this point we should all just suck it up and apply.. cut our losses. assume that now it's better to spend the money than not, for the sake of scholies and such...

also I need to change my avatar. people keep thinking I'm a boy.

It's okay to be a boy. :P.

Apply ASAP! :).

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:09 pm

sibley wrote:also I need to change my avatar. people keep thinking I'm a boy.

Lol, that's why I changed my avatar. Even though my Colbertar was awesome.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:11 pm

kazu wrote:

I thought mine was girly already. Apparently boys like castles and fish too.

How about the one it is now? Not enough to tell I'm a girl?
or this one? maybe I circle my head?
--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by sibley on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:18 pm

sibley wrote:
kazu wrote:

I thought mine was girly already. Apparently boys like castles and fish too.

How about the one it is now? Not enough to tell I'm a girl?
or this one? maybe I circle my head?

this one does a little too much to give away my identity, I think. plus it's old and my head isn't really that shape.

I like the one you have now. But I'm probably not the best judge. I think people here automatically assume you're a guy unless the tar is overtly "feminine".

Edit for sibley ...
Last edited by kazu on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:19 pm

gah! don't quote! I gotta delete those!

but ty

booboo

Postby booboo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:23 pm

sibley wrote:gah! don't quote! I gotta delete those!

but ty

kazu should edit, :).

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:26 pm

Thank you =)

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:28 pm

no prob... I wasn't thinking when I quoted you :P

I've only gotten waivers from UVA, Minnesota, Illinois, Richmond and Cardozo... probably because I stated on lsac that I'm applying next cycle, and I don't have a GPA.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:32 pm

I wish I didn't have a gpa. LSAC's system is kind of BS. My school doesn't give A+s... some kids end up with a higher LSAC gpa than me simply because their schools do.

In other news, I have a friend named Kazuki. He is from Hawaii. He's living in DC now, doing who-knows-what. We call him Kaz. Except for when we call him by his full name, which is fun and rhythmic.
Last edited by sibley on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:34 pm

sibley wrote:I wish I didn't have a gpa. LSAC's system is kind of BS. My school doesn't give A+s... some kids end up with a higher LSAC gpa than me simply because their schools do.

not to pick a fight, but at my UG, A+s were about as common as unicorns. getting 100% in a class did not guarantee it.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:35 pm

IAFG wrote:
sibley wrote:I wish I didn't have a gpa. LSAC's system is kind of BS. My school doesn't give A+s... some kids end up with a higher LSAC gpa than me simply because their schools do.

not to pick a fight, but at my UG, A+s were about as common as unicorns. getting 100% in a class did not guarantee it.

Well then at least I would have gotten one in that class I got a 104 in. Most of my grades were B+s... it's mean.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:39 pm

sibley wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Well then at least I would have gotten one in that class I got a 104 in. Most of my grades were B+s... it's mean.

no, i mean, they were completely discretionary. i got 100% in several classes and just got As. i got ONE A+ and it was because i taught the class, literally. the TA was a asian arts PhD who somehow got assigned a western art history class. i don't know anyone else who ever got an A+ at my UG. not saying it is like that at every school, but i have heard that some schools grade similiarly.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:43 pm

IAFG wrote:
sibley wrote:
IAFG wrote:

no, i mean, they were completely discretionary. i got 100% in several classes and just got As. i got ONE A+ and it was because i taught the class, literally. the TA was a asian arts PhD who somehow got assigned a western art history class. i don't know anyone else who ever got an A+ at my UG. not saying it is like that at every school, but i have heard that some schools grade similiarly.

At least it was possible for you, though

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:45 pm

my school gave A+s. I know one person who got one once. that's usually how it goes. but i also agree that its unfair to people who's schools don't give A+s. though i'm sure the GPA difference is pretty marginal.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:46 pm

fair enough. and for all i know northern iowa university hands them out like candy. my personal beef with LSAC grade conversion is that retaken classes count if your UG leaves the grade visible on your transcript, but don't if your UG supresses them. that policy cost me .05 and will probably be the difference btw me being in or out at NYU.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:49 pm

IAFG wrote:fair enough. and for all i know northern iowa university hands them out like candy. my personal beef with LSAC grade conversion is that retaken classes count if your UG leaves the grade visible on your transcript, but don't if your UG supresses them. that policy cost me .05 and will probably be the difference btw me being in or out at NYU.

my school did have a little benefit. we were allowed to drop classes or change them to pass fail really late. I withdrew from one once because I was doing extraordinarily poorly (extraordinarily because I was studying and I'd done well in similar classes in the past... I just couldn't do it) but on my transcript it doesn't show as something bad, it just says I withdrew... and that we're allowed. I was expecting it to drop my gpa a tad.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:53 pm

sibley wrote:
IAFG wrote:fair enough. and for all i know northern iowa university hands them out like candy. my personal beef with LSAC grade conversion is that retaken classes count if your UG leaves the grade visible on your transcript, but don't if your UG supresses them. that policy cost me .05 and will probably be the difference btw me being in or out at NYU.

my school did have a little benefit. we were allowed to drop classes or change them to pass fail really late. I withdrew from one once because I was doing extraordinarily poorly (extraordinarily because I was studying and I'd done well in similar classes in the past... I just couldn't do it) but on my transcript it doesn't show as something bad, it just says I withdrew... and that we're allowed. I was expecting it to drop my gpa a tad.

withdrawing. yup. that is what i should have done. i just didn't manage my GPA well in UG. i was under the apparently-false impression that 3.5 was a good GPA.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:58 pm

IAFG wrote: i was under the apparently-false impression that 3.5 was a good GPA.

heh. 3.34 here. according to the lsac report, the average at my school is about a 3.5... tons of them had harder majors than me, too... but tons had easier ones as well. I'm just average =D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”