Post December LSAT Fee Waivers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kismet

Re: Post December LSAT Fee Waivers?

Postby kismet » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:39 pm

Looks like someone at Northwestern is still working, I sent a request earlier today and got a waiver from them an hour later.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:46 pm

Last edited by stratocophic on Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:11 pm

kismet wrote:Looks like someone at Northwestern is still working, I sent a request earlier today and got a waiver from them an hour later.

Hah, I saw that and thought, "well that shows me what they think of my numbers" but for some reason I forgot to send them one.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:30 pm

I should apply there too.

You people have GOT to stop making my list longer.

....how did you request? via email? Not through their form thingy?

sccjnthn

Postby sccjnthn » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:44 pm

Are those of you applying to NU still planning to interview? I'd like to apply but I'm not going to be able to make it to Chicago for the interviews and wondered if I would still have a shot.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:01 pm

sccjnthn wrote:Are those of you applying to NU still planning to interview? I'd like to apply but I'm not going to be able to make it to Chicago for the interviews and wondered if I would still have a shot.

They want an interview? If they grant my fee waiver request I'll apply... but interview? No way.

kismet

Postby kismet » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:45 am

sibley wrote:I should apply there too.

You people have GOT to stop making my list longer.

....how did you request? via email? Not through their form thingy?

I just shot them a standard email - didn't even see the form thing!

Also heard back from someone at Columbia - although they said they only give fee waivers to students who were given a lsac fee waiver or those who demonstrated that the application fee would cause financial hardship. I'll just stop being so cheap and shell out the money.

Now to wait for other schools to reply...

yo!

Postby yo! » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:52 am

sibley wrote:I just sent an email to their general admissions address requesting one. I included a screenshot my senior year's financial aid as well as my LSAC number. I didn't bother checking to see which schools wouldn't accept requests, just sent it to every one that I applied to. I sent the email to "Law School" and bcc'd everyone in so they wouldn't know what I was up do =)

So, definitely LSAC number. I don't think financial aid matters to most of them - if you didn't get an LSAC waiver they won't give you one. Include your LSAT score if you think it'll help.

Not true. I got a bunch of waivers by sending an email that explained my financial situation. Basically, my parents make too much for me to qualify for the LSAC waiver, but I don't see any of that money. Since I'm not currently getting any help from them, most schools were willing to waive the fee. I said that I would apply regardless, but a fee waiver would really help. The only ones that rejected were Cornell and Arizona. I did this in the beginning of December. Cornell would have been a waste of 12$ anyway, since I seriously blew the December LSAT and I now have no shot at the t14 without retaking and waiting a year.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:26 am

yo! wrote:
sibley wrote:I just sent an email to their general admissions address requesting one. I included a screenshot my senior year's financial aid as well as my LSAC number. I didn't bother checking to see which schools wouldn't accept requests, just sent it to every one that I applied to. I sent the email to "Law School" and bcc'd everyone in so they wouldn't know what I was up do =)

So, definitely LSAC number. I don't think financial aid matters to most of them - if you didn't get an LSAC waiver they won't give you one. Include your LSAT score if you think it'll help.

Not true. I got a bunch of waivers by sending an email that explained my financial situation. Basically, my parents make too much for me to qualify for the LSAC waiver, but I don't see any of that money. Since I'm not currently getting any help from them, most schools were willing to waive the fee. I said that I would apply regardless, but a fee waiver would really help. The only ones that rejected were Cornell and Arizona. I did this in the beginning of December. Cornell would have been a waste of 12$ anyway, since I seriously blew the December LSAT and I now have no shot at the t14 without retaking and waiting a year.

I sent the same email, including a copy of my senior year's financial aid (which is 30k in scholarships plus some state and federal stuff) and got rejected anyway. Georgetown said no (and they don't grant them for merit either, fyi. They told me before I could try), American said no (based on income and also merit), GW said no .... I'm not trying Arizona (got a lor from their old dean though!). I may try Cornell (I probably have a better shot than you because I'm live 2 hours away).

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:08 pm

just got one from UVA. didn't ask for it.

chizUFL

Postby chizUFL » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:13 pm

I took the LSAT for the first time in December and also just received an unsolicited waiver from UVA.

kismet

Postby kismet » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:33 pm

hannah87 wrote:just got one from UVA. didn't ask for it.

+1

Hopefully we can expect more soon :)

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:34 pm

kismet wrote:
hannah87 wrote:just got one from UVA. didn't ask for it.

+1

Hopefully we can expect more soon :)

+1 too. I asked for and got one yesterday (and submitted before this one came out). But I'm loving that they think I'm impressive.

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:41 pm

Last edited by existenz on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

strawinlemonade

Postby strawinlemonade » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:50 pm

edit. answered.
Last edited by strawinlemonade on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:54 pm

Last edited by stratocophic on Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:55 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:01 pm

Got Villanova too. I hope I get UVA, although my LSAT is probably too low for it.

kismet

Postby kismet » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:06 pm

predetermined wrote:Have any of you gotten fee waivers from sending only your LSAT score? And is there any general sense of how high the score needs to be? Like, say, 25th percentile or above?

I included both my GPA and LSAT info in my solicitation emails even though my GPA is pretty crap. LSAT is either in 25th -75th range or higher.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:06 pm

Another UVA here.. didnt ask for it, not even applying this cycle.. 177 LSAT, gpa range listed at 3.50-3.74

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:38 pm

Just got one for Cardozo. This is becoming a gamble - do I wait and see who sends me unsolicited ones, or do I just submit all my apps and get them in a few days earlier (and possibly improve my financial aid package, odds, etc)?

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:44 pm

sibley wrote:Just got one for Cardozo. This is becoming a gamble - do I wait and see who sends me unsolicited ones, or do I just submit all my apps and get them in a few days earlier (and possibly improve my financial aid package, odds, etc)?

darn. already sent in my app. any chance of a reimbursement waiver from cardozo? :?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:49 pm

sibley wrote:Just got one for Cardozo. This is becoming a gamble - do I wait and see who sends me unsolicited ones, or do I just submit all my apps and get them in a few days earlier (and possibly improve my financial aid package, odds, etc)?

I'd sit on it a few days and save a few hundred bucks in the process. I seriously doubt a week is going to significantly impact your financial aid, but I remain open to being lit up by those who know better.

acrossthepond

Postby acrossthepond » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:58 pm

I just got unsolicited waivers from Cardozo and Villanova.

I didn't even consider asking schools I was applying to for fee waivers. I thought it would be seen as cheeky, obviously I was in the wrong.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:00 pm

I requested fee waivers from all of the schools in my list. I'm submitting to the California schools and I think also to t14 schools without waiting. For anything ranked 30 or lower I think I will hold off for a while, siince many of them would probably let me in/give me money anyway.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”