Post December LSAT Fee Waivers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yeast master

Re: Post December LSAT Fee Waivers?

Postby yeast master » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:54 am

Just to add my fee waiver info . . .

My stats: 172, 3.5x, bio PhD (don't know if that had anything to do with these waivers; probably not). Over the past couple of days I've received unsolicited from
UCLA
Iowa
Ohio Northern
Richmond
Indiana
Temple
Loyola LA
Minnesota
St. Louis U
Ave Maria
Ohio Northern
Akron
Charlotte (+$15K scholarship for spring)
Duke (I actually sent a request over the break but it seems like the fee waiver and priority track invitation came automatically through CRS).

Before LSAT scores were released I requested and received waivers from UVA, BYU, and Vanderbilt (I briefly explained my financial situation in the request email). After I received my LSAT score I requested and received waivers from WUSTL and Utah. Texas is the only app I've paid for so far. I might pay for Berkeley if I decide to apply there, just so I don't have to wait for them to make a decision after submitting their waiver application form.

chizUFL

Postby chizUFL » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:33 pm

Hidden and unsolicited Notre Dame waiver showed up this morning.

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:43 pm

Just noticed hidden UGA waiver. I emailed them yesterday and asked for one, so I hope that they gave it to me without responding yet and not that it was there all along.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Just received an unsolicited W&M fee waiver. Maybe ill shoot them an app, even though my LSP puts me at deny....

On a side note, what does a 'hidden' fee waiver mean?

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:59 pm

moandersen wrote:Just received an unsolicited W&M fee waiver. Maybe ill shoot them an app, even though my LSP puts me at deny....

It means when you finish a school's app and go to check out on LSAC, there will be no option to pay. It's kind of an altruistic fee waiver - since they aren't giving it to you to convince you to apply, but instead are rewarding you for having chosen to apply. Or at least that's how I look at it.

Raskolnikoff

Postby Raskolnikoff » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:06 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:
moandersen wrote:Just received an unsolicited W&M fee waiver. Maybe ill shoot them an app, even though my LSP puts me at deny....

It means when you finish a school's app and go to check out on LSAC, there will be no option to pay. It's kind of an altruistic fee waiver - since they aren't giving it to you to convince you to apply, but instead are rewarding you for having chosen to apply. Or at least that's how I look at it.

Can one see it and then go back to editing the application?

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:10 pm

I just got W&M too, unsolicited. Looks like a good school but I guess there's no point in applying if I already got into UVA, right?. Granted, it's cheaper than UVA by a bunch, but so is George Mason, and I would rather stay in the DC area.

But in your case, I would definitely apply, if it's a school you'd want to go to. If they sent you a fee waiver, that probably means they are willing to at least consider you. The worst that could happen is you waste a little time and $12.

chizUFL

Postby chizUFL » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Raskolnikoff wrote:
kwhitegocubs wrote:

Can one see it and then go back to editing the application?

Yes, you can go back to editing after checking for the fee waiver. After you click Submit Application on the Active Applications page, it takes you to the Preview page. You have to click Preview for the Continue button to be enabled. The next screen will show if you have to pay or if a fee waiver (hidden or otherwise) has been applied. There's also usually an option to enter a fee waiver code if you have one. There will still be a Return to Application button at the bottom. Click that and the submission is cancelled and you can go back and edit anything you need to.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:25 pm

democrattotheend wrote:

I just got W&M too, unsolicited. Looks like a good school but I guess there's no point in applying if I already got into UVA, right?. Granted, it's cheaper than UVA by a bunch, but so is George Mason, and I would rather stay in the DC area.

But in your case, I would definitely apply, if it's a school you'd want to go to. If they sent you a fee waiver, that probably means they are willing to at least consider you. The worst that could happen is you waste a little time and $12.

Its definitely a school I would seriously consider if admitted. When I get off work Ill take a look at their application. I have a number of apps that still need to be completed, so maybe Ill just put W&M in the queue. Thanks.

Raskolnikoff

Postby Raskolnikoff » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:31 pm

Just checked for hiddens at my reaches. No dice.

gilagarta

Postby gilagarta » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Does anyone know if Fordham gives merit-based waivers? I'm holding out on sending my application right now hoping one rolls in. (I sent them an e-mail but haven't heard back).

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:53 pm

I finally got Cardozo, but I doubt I'll get in there with the numbers I have now. Looks like they are upping their selectivity ratio. I wouldn't go there anyway without a significant scholarship.

I'd love to get an Iowa one. I want to apply there, and my LSAT is at least above their median. Haven't seen that one, though.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:12 pm

JCougar wrote:I finally got Cardozo, but I doubt I'll get in there with the numbers I have now. Looks like they are upping their selectivity ratio. I wouldn't go there anyway without a significant scholarship.

I'd love to get an Iowa one. I want to apply there, and my LSAT is at least above their median. Haven't seen that one, though.

Any idea if being an Orthodox Jew gets you any points toward admission at Cardozo? I just convinced a friend whose numbers are at and below median to apply because I figured it would be a great fit for him, and his PS is all about how he became religious, so I thought maybe they'd give him a look. Anyone know if that helps?

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:16 pm

I'm loving these fee waivers, because with the size of the applicant pool this year, and class sizes mainly constant at the top schools, they can afford a lot more selectivity even in the 30s than they usually do. In my first post, I talked about applying for MFA Creative Writing programs, and debating that or law. Well, with my awkward (but still good) 166 being still a solid T20 score with maybe a T14 if I'm lucky right now, I have to do law. If the applicant pool and medians continue climbing, a 166 may be no way T14 and lucky T20 in three years. Heck, it might be Iowa and IUB as the only options in the Top 30 for a 166 the way it's going.

So, admissions, keep 'em coming - I like options, and these waivers are giving them to me.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:37 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:02 pm

Denver (Sturm) waiver just came in. Denver is a wonderful city, but Sturm's job prospects seem sweak as does its bar passage. PLus, they don't give much, if any, in the way of full-rides according to LSN. Obviously, Boulder is superior in CO.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:03 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Got Richmond today, and BU finally got back to me and gave me a waiver :D

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:09 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:If you don't have CO-Boulder yet, email them and ask for one.

No, I do have Boulder. I was just commenting on the Sturm waiver. Boulder seems quite eager to give out waivers.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:46 pm

Got Denver, Cardozo, and Ohio State.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:56 pm

gilagarta wrote:Does anyone know if Fordham gives merit-based waivers? I'm holding out on sending my application right now hoping one rolls in. (I sent them an e-mail but haven't heard back).

they told me they don't when i asked, and i'm inclined to believe them since my LSAT is way above their median and they still denied me.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:59 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flowerpot

Postby flowerpot » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:00 pm

Yeah, I emailed Fordham and they sent back an email saying that they do not distribute merit-based fee waivers.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Just got USC... Looks like I'll be applying there as well.

jealous! asked and they told me no.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:05 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”