fulbright student scholarship? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sofibee

New

fulbright student scholarship?

Post by sofibee » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:53 pm

How much impact does a fulbright scholarship have for an admissions app? It sounds like something I'd really enjoy doing either way... just was wondering if it'll give me any added bonus besides the experience.

thx =)

Xnegd

Bronze

Re: fulbright student scholarship?

Post by Xnegd » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:07 pm

sofibee wrote:How much impact does a fulbright scholarship have for an admissions app? It sounds like something I'd really enjoy doing either way... just was wondering if it'll give me any added bonus besides the experience.

thx =)
I think a year of full scholarship, plus room & bored, and transportation is already all the benefit one could ask for lol.
As a soft though I'm sure it would be nice, assuming you have a great LSAT.

I spent 6 months on my application for it, and I hear back in January and then for good in May. The scholarship itself will change your life, several scholars go no to be high ranking political figures. Out of the thousands of people that apply, if you have the stuff to get the scholarship, I don't think getting into a great school will be beyond you no matter what.

Fyi - Obama just allocated an extra 20 million to the program, yet another reason I love that Man. Anyways, if you get it let me know, and Ill have my fingers crossed for myself as tight as I can.

Lady Croft

New

Post by Lady Croft » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:11 pm

I think if you can tie whatever you did for the year that you had the Fulbright to why you want to go to law school, your app will be that much stronger. Shows a dedication and a solid reason for wanting to study law.

Xnegd

Bronze

Post by Xnegd » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:19 pm

mahmadza wrote:I think if you can tie whatever you did for the year that you had the Fulbright to why you want to go to law school, your app will be that much stronger. Shows a dedication and a solid reason for wanting to study law.
Well, if you get it it'll be a great personal statement, so that in itself helps with admissions.

GatorBait09

New

Post by GatorBait09 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:27 pm

I mean, I don't think any law school is gonna dock you points for getting a Fulbright. Just sayin'

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sofibee

New

Post by sofibee » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:33 pm

Fyi - Obama just allocated an extra 20 million to the program, yet another reason I love that Man. Anyways, if you get it let me know, and Ill have my fingers crossed for myself as tight as I can.
Nice! I am just educating myself about the program now. I am only a sophomore in undergrad, so I am exploring what options I'll have once I graduate. I want to take at least a year or two off before I apply to law school and Fulbright is the type of thing that really interests me. What project did you propose? Where?

Thx for the support btw =)

Xnegd

Bronze

Post by Xnegd » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:27 am

sofibee wrote:
Nice! I am just educating myself about the program now. I am only a sophomore in undergrad, so I am exploring what options I'll have once I graduate. I want to take at least a year or two off before I apply to law school and Fulbright is the type of thing that really interests me. What project did you propose? Where?

Thx for the support btw =)
My pleasure. :-)

A year or two before law school is a very, very, good idea btw.

I applied for Ireland, so not one of the greatest financed countries by the grant. Spain, Africa, and South America get most of the scholarships. Thank to Obama though I have about a 1/100 chance of receiving it though, opposed to 1/200 if I applied last year. Of course it's not randomly picked, so that's not a good way to look at it. It's whether or not they find my idea interesting. I'm optimistic, though I realize my study is rather lacking in excitement so I'm trying not to be too excited and eager.

My proposal was to study the interlinking cultural assimilation in artists and white-collar workers. Meaning, I wanted to study how struggling artists adapt to the world of corporations, and how that varies from culture to culture. I am comparing East Asia, West, and Central Europe.

See lol, not exactly going to be the topic of a movie any time soon.

sjsteece

Bronze

Post by sjsteece » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:35 pm

Do the fulbright, for sure. Any law school you apply to should be more than accommodating if you get it. I would suggest applying for both and then if the grant works out deferring your acceptance for a year. There's no reason not to give yourself a year abroad to study what you want before law school and all of its demands begin.

pulandasu

Bronze

Post by pulandasu » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:35 pm

Besides all the positives that people replied to, just from admissions perspective, I think it is definitely a plus.

My friend EDed to Columbia with 169 and slgithly above 3.8 and got in. (no URM)

He deferred a year and went to Africa for his Fulbright. After he came back, he withdrew from Columbia and applied, got into Stanford with the same credentials.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Laina

Bronze

Post by Laina » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Last edited by Laina on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xnegd

Bronze

Post by Xnegd » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:36 pm

Laina wrote:Not to threadjack, but did anyone apply for one this year? I'm pretty nervous to hear back! What countries did everyone do?
I did, read above.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”