Admitted Student Days/Weekends

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Trifles

Re: Admitted Student Days/Weekends

Postby Trifles » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:21 pm

I would probably have them go with me to the city, but not to the actual school. Mostly, because I know they would drive/pay for the trip if I let them come. :)

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:30 pm

WTF is this? If you want to bring your parents, do so. If you'd rather go alone, do that. Don't listen to all the bitter assholes who were probably not loved as children and will try to make anyone who has a close relationship with their parents feel ashamed. True sign of being grown up and mature is not being influenced by what others might think if you bring your parents to a student visit day at your prospective law school. Cheers.

Eigenvalue A

Postby Eigenvalue A » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Count me in for judging.

Desert Fox wrote:
We've all been adults for years.

Hmm?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:32 pm

Eigenvalue A wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Count me in for judging.

Desert Fox wrote:

Hmm?

Yes because adults don't judge other people.

Do people really believe that future classmates first impressions aren't worth considering?

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Eigenvalue A wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Count me in for judging.

Desert Fox wrote:

Hmm?

Do people really believe that future classmates first impressions aren't worth considering?

They're just gonna hate me when I get the book award in every class anyways. 8)

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:55 pm

Trifles wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Eigenvalue A wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Count me in for judging.

Desert Fox wrote:

Hmm?

They're just gonna hate me when I get the book award in every class anyways. 8)

Sometimes, friends can be more useful than awards. You CAN just get both you know.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:55 pm

Trifles wrote:I would probably have them go with me to the city, but not to the actual school. Mostly, because I know they would drive/pay for the trip if I let them come. :)

so true, so true

this is my game plan

jay115

Postby jay115 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:58 pm

Ragged wrote:WTF is this? If you want to bring your parents, do so. If you'd rather go alone, do that. Don't listen to all the bitter assholes who were probably not loved as children and will try to make anyone who has a close relationship with their parents feel ashamed. True sign of being grown up and mature is not being influenced by what others might think if you bring your parents to a student visit day at your prospective law school. Cheers.

+1. my parents arent coming to my ASD because they dont know what UG i attend nor pay for my UG education, and the same will be true of law school. however, if some kids want to bring their parents and you believe it illustrates their lack of maturity/independence/social aptitude, then there are probably going to be 300 other kids to befriend.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:11 pm

I'm sort of in between having your parents come and not. On one night trips to a single school, I'll be going by myself. But I'm planning a trip in March with my girlfriend (who will be going with me wherever I end up) and my mom where we'll go see some of my top choices in the same region (NY & PA). Although they'll be flying over with me, for the most part I'll be attending ASDs by myself. They're both more interested in the QOL of the area than they are the schools. While I'm attending a lecture or meeting fellow admitted students, they will be looking at apartments, shopping, going out to lunch, etc. It'll be more like a vacation for them. This way my mom can feel connected to the process without being overbearing, and my girlfriend doesn't feel like a third wheel by going to all the ASD stuff.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:17 am

jay115 wrote:
Ragged wrote:WTF is this? If you want to bring your parents, do so. If you'd rather go alone, do that. Don't listen to all the bitter assholes who were probably not loved as children and will try to make anyone who has a close relationship with their parents feel ashamed. True sign of being grown up and mature is not being influenced by what others might think if you bring your parents to a student visit day at your prospective law school. Cheers.

+1. my parents arent coming to my ASD because they dont know what UG i attend nor pay for my UG education, and the same will be true of law school. however, if some kids want to bring their parents and you believe it illustrates their lack of maturity/independence/social aptitude, then there are probably going to be 300 other kids to befriend.

+1 on the +1.

lol been out all day and come back to read all these. i feel like i might be going out on a limb here, but i feel like i do owe it to my parents if they want to come. but one thing to consider is, i never meant id necessarily want my parents at ALL the EVENTS of ASW. if they wanted to come WITH me and visit the campus and along to some giant thing where ppl arent really noticed (i thought thats what we were talking about), then yeah why not? who would even notice that i brought parents along in that situation? if so, just some other random student. why should i really care? there are a billion other reasons for a stranger to have some weird "bad" impression of me before speaking to me, im not going to do everything just for every single one of them.

if i happened to bump into a professor w/ my parents next to me (not planning to), sure id introduce them. isnt THAT the mature thing to do? lol, jeez they are your parents...and they're also people.

@shadowfrost who said it isnt about culture but rather the culture of the ppl JUDGING us. sure, but im not thinking about helicopter parents. im literally just saying parents visiting the school w/ you during ASW, maybe going to some of the super large events where no one is really even recognized lol. im not going to shoot my parents down if they want to be a part of that...

...but im super biased, im chinese. im independent in the sense that i do things for myself and im an adult, but by no means am i independent in the sense that my decisions are all MY decisions. yeah, they are still very involved w/ my life to some extent. wont change that, they're my parents who raised me and gave me everything. ill 100% end up taking care of them personally when they are too old to take care of themselves. i get american culture is all about individualism and you have to display that, but im getting my personal situation too mixed up w/ whatever everyone else is thinking. lol my parents are FAR from helicopter parents and wouldnt even talk during ASW...they just want to see the school and the environment. im confused why this would seem immature to anyone. having your parents there hardly means you are forced to only talk to them and hang out w/ them and bring them EVERYWHERE where they must say embarrassing/none of their business things.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Well, feel free to judge me because I AM bringing my parents with me to ASW this Friday and I don't feel bad about it at all. I really don't care if anyone is giving me side eye or not. I think it's ridiculous that anyone would be judged for bringing their parents to one of these events. My parents have no say financially or otherwise on what school I attend, but I respect their opinion and would want to hear it.

I look at it as an oppourtunity to spend time with them since I probably wont be seeing much of them for the next three years. Y'all needed to be hugged more when you were children. tsk tsk

keemos

Postby keemos » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:20 pm

trialjunky wrote:Well, feel free to judge me because I AM bringing my parents with me to ASW this Friday and I don't feel bad about it at all. I really don't care if anyone is giving me side eye or not. I think it's ridiculous that anyone would be judged for bringing their parents to one of these events. My parents have no say financially or otherwise on what school I attend, but I respect their opinion and would want to hear it.

I look at it as an oppourtunity to spend time with them since I probably wont be seeing much of them for the next three years. Y'all needed to be hugged more when you were children. tsk tsk

+1

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:36 pm

I think that there are several different viewpoints being discussed ITT all at once.

There seems to be a split between 1. people that went to HS-->UG-->LS and 2. those that mixed in other shit during that time. I see the same thing at my UG. There are the freshmen that have it figured out on day one, and there are the others with brand new backpacks walking around looking for someone dressed like them so they can feel more secure. In the LS ASD universe, kids with their parents = kids with brand new backpacks.

Type 1 would probably not feel it out of the ordinary to bring their parents to an ASD.

Type 2 (and I fall into this camp), would definitely feel weird bringing parents to ASD, and might look down on people who brought their parents. I've lived on my own since I was 18. I'm paying my own way through college, and have worked full time for almost 10 years. Now I'm 26. My parents aren't involved in my life besides my visits on the holidays.

I can see how those that are still intimately connected with their parents would bring them, though. I know kids in UG who still get a weekly check from their parents for living expenses. They don't pay any of their own bills, and you hear them in the hallways fighting with their parents because they texted too much.

I don't think it would effect one's ability to make friends or something, but seeing someone with their parents at an ASD kinda puts them in the "still a kid" camp for me. This is probably wrong, but I can't help it.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:40 pm

Might I add this:

Before deciding to go to law school, I did several PR internships (strategic comm major). One thing that you learn is that every single thing you do has some bearing on your image. And your image has nothing to do with the motivation behind your actions, just what others think of them.

Considering that you will be relying on your classmates (possibly) deep into your career for networking opportunities, what is the image you want to portray to them, your professors, and the other staff?

I see bringing parents as potentially damaging to an image. If something could even potentially damage my image in any way, I would choose the other option.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:28 pm

kswiss wrote:I think that there are several different viewpoints being discussed ITT all at once.

There seems to be a split between 1. people that went to HS-->UG-->LS and 2. those that mixed in other shit during that time. I see the same thing at my UG. There are the freshmen that have it figured out on day one, and there are the others with brand new backpacks walking around looking for someone dressed like them so they can feel more secure. In the LS ASD universe, kids with their parents = kids with brand new backpacks.

Type 1 would probably not feel it out of the ordinary to bring their parents to an ASD.

Type 2 (and I fall into this camp), would definitely feel weird bringing parents to ASD, and might look down on people who brought their parents. I've lived on my own since I was 18. I'm paying my own way through college, and have worked full time for almost 10 years. Now I'm 26. My parents aren't involved in my life besides my visits on the holidays.

I can see how those that are still intimately connected with their parents would bring them, though. I know kids in UG who still get a weekly check from their parents for living expenses. They don't pay any of their own bills, and you hear them in the hallways fighting with their parents because they texted too much.

I don't think it would effect one's ability to make friends or something, but seeing someone with their parents at an ASD kinda puts them in the "still a kid" camp for me. This is probably wrong, but I can't help it.

Bringing your parents doesn't mean more then you just wanted your parents to come. It really is that simple. If someone wants to look into it as something more, as in placing you in "still a kid" camp, then they're making assumptions...and you know what they say about people who make assumptions.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:14 pm

I had been planning on having my father go with me to Cornell, for a few reasons. One, we live in California and thus they're not going to have the opportunity to really go out and see the school very often. And two, it's much easier to just rent a car from Syracuse and drive in than anything else, and I can't rent a car on my own since I'm 21.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:18 pm

trialjunky wrote:
kswiss wrote:I think that there are several different viewpoints being discussed ITT all at once.

Bringing your parents doesn't mean more then you just wanted your parents to come. It really is that simple. If someone wants to look into it as something more, as in placing you in "still a kid" camp, then they're making assumptions...and you know what they say about people who make assumptions.

I can see possibly bringing a parent to some events, like touring of the campus. But what value does bringing a parent to a mock class or a Q&A provide, other than making it appear like you don't have the confidence to make your own decisions. In law school, and futhermore in a legal career, you will be called upon to make decisions on your own. Bring them to the campus, but don't bring them to all the events. That is my opinion, fwiw.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:30 pm

I feel bad for whoever I stand next to. Everyone else is going to point and laugh at 'em for bringing their dad along. :mrgreen:

<-- old guy

superserial

Postby superserial » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:34 pm

I don't think it's a big deal to bring your parents, as long as you attend some admitted student events without them. It's fine to bring them on a tour of the school and the housing, but it would be awkward if they attended a happy hour with current students or sat in on a class with you. That being said, the vast majority people did not bring parents to my ASPs.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:39 pm

I wasn't trying to be deuchey or anything. I'm just saying: in a room with 50+ of your potential fellow students, the vast majority will be there alone, or maybe with their SO or something. Then there will be a few with their parents, and one or two of those parents will be asking questions/participating on behalf of "their" student. <--- annoying.

I'm not saying that anyone is any less of a person/potential student as a result. But if you can just as easily go sans parents, I'm not sure what kind of justification someone would have for actually wanting their parents to go. Thats all. Why not go alone, scope the sex of your choosing, get to know some people, and make a decision based on what you feel about the place. Since your parents won't be attending law school with you (hopefully), their being there would amount to a distraction IMO, not for the other students, but for the attached student, since every interaction they have will be affected if there is also a parent in the room.

I mean, will you be taking your parents on call-back interviews to firms too? To sign the papers for your first house? When you propose to your SO? Which law school you attend is a very adult decision that affects you and not your parents.

Point being: at some point you are going to have to do things for yourself, whether that is a fight you have to have with your parents, or a fight you have to have with yourself. Maybe law school ASD isn't the day for it, but if not, its coming fast.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:49 pm

trialjunky wrote:Well, feel free to judge me because I AM bringing my parents with me to ASW this Friday and I don't feel bad about it at all. I really don't care if anyone is giving me side eye or not. I think it's ridiculous that anyone would be judged for bringing their parents to one of these events. My parents have no say financially or otherwise on what school I attend, but I respect their opinion and would want to hear it.

I can't believe you bumped this thread to say that. I will judge anyone there with their parents, but I'm not gonna like go home and write about it in my journal or blog about or tell everyone. That would be immature. Rather, I'm going to laugh at you privately to myself and think you're some immature kid who I am going to utterly destroy in law school. I could be completely wrong; I could be lying to myself to make myself feel like I'll be ablt to succeed in law school, or to cover up for the fact that I'm just jealous that I don't have such a great relationship with my parents; or maybe I'm right. Regardless, none of that should matter to you, and it's not a big deal anyway.

e: I mean come on, it is a professional degree.

HBK

Postby HBK » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:57 pm

ughOSU wrote:

I can't believe you bumped this thread to say that. I will judge anyone there with their parents, but I'm not gonna like go home and write about it in my journal or blog about or tell everyone. That would be immature. Rather, I'm going to laugh at you privately to myself and think you're some immature kid who I am going to utterly destroy in law school. I could be completely wrong; I could be lying to myself to make myself feel like I'll be ablt to succeed in law school, or to cover up for the fact that I'm just jealous that I don't have such a great relationship with my parents; or maybe I'm right. Regardless, none of that should matter to you, and it's not a big deal anyway.

Can I at least bring the PBJ sandwich and Dunkaroos they packed for me?!?!

CG614

Postby CG614 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:05 pm

HBK wrote:
ughOSU wrote:

Can I at least bring the PBJ sandwich and Dunkaroos they packed for me?!?!

This is acceptable.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:08 pm

HBK wrote:Can I at least bring the PBJ sandwich and Dunkaroos they packed for me?!?!

Only if you bring enough for everyone. Err... wait... wrong school....

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:15 am

Helmholtz wrote:I would also like to say that the reason I am against it is not because I care about my future classmates, what image I'm projecting, etc.

ASWs are for future law students and it's not going to be geared towards a family experience. I almost guarantee that you would regret bringing your parents along to an ASW, no question.

side note: have any of you guys been to an ASW or at least a part of one?

Yup. The one I went to I'd say about half the people came with their parents.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”