Violations other than traffic tickets

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jdubb990

Violations other than traffic tickets

Postby jdubb990 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:17 pm

"Are there currently any charges pending against you in any jurisdiction, or have you ever been convicted of, or pled guilty to, any violation of law other than minor traffic violations?"

I do not have any charges pending against me. I had four underage drinking tickets, and a simple possession of pot ticket when I was 18. One of the minor in possessions never even went to court, the officer threw away the ticket. Another went to court and the MIP was dropped and I was only made to pay the open container charge that accompanied it. The other charges, I completed Pre Trial Intervention, or couseling classes for to expunge the charges.

However, I can't even recall if I necessarily pled guilty to anything. I can't remember if I had to plead guilty as part of receiving the opportunity to enroll in PTI, or whether they just gave me the opportunity before having to enter a plea. And I sure as hell don't remember the dates of these altercations.

I don't have any felony's, and I know you guys may think I'm crazy for not remembering these things, but as a teenager they seemed insignificant to me. I was a wild one.

LawandOrder

Re: Violations other than traffic tickets

Postby LawandOrder » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:21 pm

I'd check No and move on. YMMV.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:26 pm

jdubb990 wrote:However, I can't even recall if I necessarily pled guilty to anything.

A bit too much drinking, perhaps?

jk, I was in a similar situation bc some apps asked if you were ever "charged" with a crime. I actually didn't remember precisely what happened either. I contacted the police department where I was arrested and requested all the copies of the records they had. They sent me something showing that I was arrested and never charged. Probably asking them would be a start.

jdubb990

Postby jdubb990 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:07 pm

thanks, i called them up and they referred me to my state Law Enforcement division. Unfortunately they're going to charge me $25 for my records, which blows; guess its just another fee to add to the expenses of applying to law school.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:12 pm

jdubb990 wrote:thanks, i called them up and they referred me to my state Law Enforcement division. Unfortunately they're going to charge me $25 for my records, which blows; guess its just another fee to add to the expenses of applying to law school.

Yes, it sucks but you should do this. Even though it is relatively minor this is the kind of thing that could hold up C&F when you go to sit for the bar if it isn't properly disclosed. You could just write a honest addendum (You are unsure of the technical legal terms of your plea) and I really doubt anyone would hold it against you.

Postby 02092010 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:17 pm

hahahaha i remember reading this section on all the apps very carefully, thankfully i got out of having to check yes by having my MIP expunged

jdubb990

Postby jdubb990 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:23 pm

Ummm, whether or not you've had them expunged, you are technically supposed to still include the instances. I've talked to several deans of admissions, and have a friend who served on an admissions board for UNC, and they all told me that even if a charge has been expunged, if the school asks for it, you better include it. Because when you take the bar, and apply for acceptance, they do an EXTREMELY thorough background check, and apparently EVERYTHING shows up. If there is a discrepancy between what you put in your law school app, and what is reality, then you will not be accepted to the bar.

I'm just not sure if I pled guilty or not. My friend told me one of his apps asked for any ticket ever received in excess of a $100 charge.

Postby 02092010 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:26 pm

jdubb990 wrote:Ummm, whether or not you've had them expunged, you are technically supposed to still include the instances. I've talked to several deans of admissions, and have a friend who served on an admissions board for UNC, and they all told me that even if a charge has been expunged, if the school asks for it, you better include it. Because when you take the bar, and apply for acceptance, they do an EXTREMELY thorough background check, and apparently EVERYTHING shows up. If there is a discrepancy between what you put in your law school app, and what is reality, then you will not be accepted to the bar.

I'm just not sure if I pled guilty or not. My friend told me one of his apps asked for any ticket ever received in excess of a $100 charge.

you're right, but a number of the applications I filled out explicitly stated that if it had been expunged then you were not required to include it

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:38 pm

i'm assuming your quite a bit over 18 now, so worst comes to worst, its hardly gonna hurt you if you make sure to point out that you've been completely clean for the last 4 or 5 years.

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:59 pm

Decided not to start a new thread
Will this be viewed as a significant "negative" on an application?

1st UA drinking citation: freshman year UG
2nd UA drinking citation along with public urination citation (urination citation was dropped eventually) and obstruction of justice citation (which was reduced to a disorderly conduct) this all occurred sophomore year of UG

AND 2 weekends ago I got my 3rd UA drinking citation, (along with a possession of alcohol but was on the same ticket) 2 months before I turn 21 (I'm currently a junior in UG)

Details of 3rd UA citation: driver of car was pulled over for having a tail light out at 1 am. The officer claimed to smell alcohol when he asked for the identification of the driver (although the car was covered in the scent of cigarette smoke, and both the driver and myself were chewing gum) the driver was arrested for DUI and sat in the back of squad car 1. The same officer came to my window holding a BAC test (breathalizer) in his hand, and said "you are not in trouble, but the state of Wisconsin requires by law that all occupants of the vehicle are required to take this test." We argue, and I ask to see documentation of this, and also foolishly ask for his suspicion of myself consuming alcohol. His response was that he smells alcohol, that he will not provide documentation of the state law, and that I can be arrested for obstruction if I do not comply with the BAC test. I take the test and blow a .06 which is equivalent to about 2.5 drinks. The officer then finds a bottle of alcohol under the passenger seat of the driver's car, and says that the driver claims it is mine (it was not mine). I am cited for UA drinking/possession of alcohol.

I know it is silly to ask this, but can I expect any sympathy/reductions during the pre-trial meeting with an assistant DA if I choose to plead not guilty to the recent citation? I've heard that a 3rd UA citation (especially one close to coming of legal drinking age) can look kind of bad.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:52 pm

Chris_cpb wrote:Decided not to start a new thread

2nd UA drinking citation along with public urination citation (urination citation was dropped eventually) and obstruction of justice citation (which was reduced to a disorderly conduct) this all occurred sophomore year of UG

AND 2 weekends ago I got my 3rd UA drinking citation, (along with a possession of alcohol but was on the same ticket) 2 months before I turn 21 (I'm currently a junior in UG)

Details of 3rd UA citation: driver of car was pulled over for having a tail light out at 1 am. The officer claimed to smell alcohol when he asked for the identification of the driver (although the car was covered in the scent of cigarette smoke, and both the driver and myself were chewing gum) the driver was arrested for DUI and sat in the back of squad car 1. The same officer came to my window holding a BAC test (breathalizer) in his hand, and said "you are not in trouble, but the state of Wisconsin requires by law that all occupants of the vehicle are required to take this test." We argue, and I ask to see documentation of this, and also foolishly ask for his suspicion of myself consuming alcohol. His response was that he smells alcohol, that he will not provide documentation of the state law, and that I can be arrested for obstruction if I do not comply with the BAC test. I take the test and blow a .06 which is equivalent to about 2.5 drinks. The officer then finds a bottle of alcohol under the passenger seat of the driver's car, and says that the driver claims it is mine (it was not mine). I am cited for UA drinking/possession of alcohol.

I know it is silly to ask this, but can I expect any sympathy/reductions during the pre-trial meeting with an assistant DA if I choose to plead not guilty to the recent citation? I've heard that a 3rd UA citation (especially one close to coming of legal drinking age) can look kind of bad.

If I were you, I'd hire a lawyer for this most recent one. Something sounds fishy about it.

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:56 pm

tesoro wrote:
Chris_cpb wrote:Decided not to start a new thread

If I were you, I'd hire a lawyer for this most recent one. Something sounds fishy about it.

:lol: If you were me you wouldn't have $1,500 to hire one, but I suppose I could look into public defender eligabilities or talk to this on-campus dude who charges $5 for a consultation. I think he got his JD online though :? Honestly, I don't think I have a case that would make it to trial, that is kind of laughable since an officers word vs. mine is going to be seen from a biased perspective.

Btw, I know it's dumb to seek legal advice on here, my main question was regarding the potential 'negative' of this on my record/application, the legal question was just in case anyone was like "yeah, been there done that."

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”