Anybody heard from Utah? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justski

New

Re: Anybody heard from Utah?

Post by justski » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:44 pm

thanks zoomba,

i am holding off on calling right now cause the vp called the dean yesterday and asked him what was going on so i dont want to bother them now. if by about 3 or so i have not heard back from them i will give a call.

phenomenon

New

Post by phenomenon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:15 pm

justski wrote:thanks zoomba,

i am holding off on calling right now cause the vp called the dean yesterday and asked him what was going on so i dont want to bother them now. if by about 3 or so i have not heard back from them i will give a call.
I am also waiting to hear from Utah and i also was waitlisted at BYU this past week. Let us know what they tell you if and when you do call. I'm getting anxious myself wondering when I will hear from the U. Thanks.

Zoomba200

New

Post by Zoomba200 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:16 pm

justski wrote:thanks zoomba,

Haha. Wow. you must be pretty good friends with the VP if he is calling for you.

wswalt

New

Post by wswalt » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:33 pm

Rejected via snail mail today. 160/3.4. My status checker still says in Review 2/24 for those wondering.

phenomenon

New

Post by phenomenon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Me too. Just got the rejection letter in the mail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

utahredsoxfan

New

Post by utahredsoxfan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:54 pm

phenomenon wrote:Me too. Just got the rejection letter in the mail.
+1. Kind of surprised. 164, 3.04 instate

justski

New

Post by justski » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:16 pm

161 3.7 instate, Undergrad at the U. LOR from VP or the U. He called today and I am rejected. CRAZY! Maybe my waitlist at the Y will turn in to something.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:04 pm

rejected 159/3.35 status still says in review since january.

justski

New

Post by justski » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:12 pm

ya i hope some of you have better luck than i. what a crappy week. everyone told me i was golden for the u with my numbers and my contact up there. just shows how much they are anti the white mail mormon i guess. haha.

so now the hard part of deciding where to go instead...denver, unlv, uofa, oregon, gonzaga. . .

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:36 pm

Edit: still in review.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:46 pm

justski wrote:ya i hope some of you have better luck than i. what a crappy week. everyone told me i was golden for the u with my numbers and my contact up there. just shows how much they are anti the white mail mormon i guess. haha.

so now the hard part of deciding where to go instead...denver, unlv, uofa, oregon, gonzaga. . .

I am deciding between unlv and oregon, but I haven't heard from oregon yet :(

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:27 pm

UNLV and Oregon seem pretty much interchangable in their respective regions. Would you give up resident tuition at UNLV to pay OOS at Oregon usuaggie? From a quality of life standpoint, I would much rather live in Eugene than Vegas. But is it worth paying the extra 10k?

justski

New

Post by justski » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:57 pm

ya i am leaning toward UNLV because of their writing program being so highly ranked in the nation. I really didnt want to go to the U but my wife really wants to stay in SLC. It would be more convenient to stay here seeing she has a job and both our families live here, but oh well. my bro-in-law went to oregon and loved it, but i dont think it is for me. and they didnt give me much along the lines of money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

phenomenon

New

Post by phenomenon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:11 pm

justski wrote:ya i hope some of you have better luck than i. what a crappy week. everyone told me i was golden for the u with my numbers and my contact up there. just shows how much they are anti the white mail mormon i guess. haha.

Sorry everybody about the rejections. It's a tough year (I know it has been for me) and remember the applicant pool is up this year even from last year so even though your numbers are good, choosing the class for these committees are very selective whereas in years past without a doubt you would have been accepted. My only acceptance was to University of Idaho. I also applied to UNLV and got rejected. I guess I have to do some thinking about whether to pursue law or another profession.

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:02 am

justski--UU 2L here. Just a small side-note. I wouldn't go to (or not go to) a school based on how prestigious their writing program is or supposedly is. Legal employers aren't really going to care, and these kind of specialty rankings are meaningless. They always tell us how fantastic our writing program is, too, but I'm pretty sure it's all just hype. There's nothing magical they teach in a legal writing course. Some may be more effective than others, and legal writing is a different beast than your undergrad work, but in the end, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about writing program rankings.

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:46 am

utahredsoxfan wrote:
phenomenon wrote:Me too. Just got the rejection letter in the mail.
+1. Kind of surprised. 164, 3.04 instate
Say what? With a 164 and a 3.0? Yeah, that is insane. Unless your app had holes in it (literally), then this just sucks. If Utah is big timing people with your numbers, then they may have a rude awakening coming when deposits are due (Don't schools realize that applicants are panicking like never before and throwing out 10+ just in case/maybe I'd attend/safety appish apps). There's no way there are enough 164+ LSAT scorers out there (who are truly interested in attending Utah) to help Utah reach a 164+ median. I would assume that's what they're aiming for if they don't need your score. WTF'in F?

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:40 am

justski wrote:ya i am leaning toward UNLV because of their writing program being so highly ranked in the nation. I really didnt want to go to the U but my wife really wants to stay in SLC. It would be more convenient to stay here seeing she has a job and both our families live here, but oh well. my bro-in-law went to oregon and loved it, but i dont think it is for me. and they didnt give me much along the lines of money.
I was randomly invited into a clinic at UNLV during admitted student day. I talked to them a lot about the writing program. The kid I talked to even went to the U for undergrad. If you want to know more about what he said, feel free to PM me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Zoomba200

New

Post by Zoomba200 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:15 am

qualster wrote:There's no way there are enough 164+ LSAT scorers out there (who are truly interested in attending Utah) to help Utah reach a 164+ median. I would assume that's what they're aiming for if they don't need your score. WTF'in F?

I don't think this is the case. I got a letter from Utah yesterday with the intent to enroll form and the letter stated that the admitted students had a median 163 LSAT and 3.7 GPA. Considering the students who actually enroll will have slightly lower numbers, they are raising their median from last year, but not enough that they would reject someone with a 164. I still don't get it.

bsm909

Bronze

Post by bsm909 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:51 pm

What date are your rejection letters postmarked? Haven't received it yet---hoping it isn't coming.
usuaggie wrote:rejected 159/3.35 status still says in review since january.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:41 pm

bsm909 wrote:What date are your rejection letters postmarked? Haven't received it yet---hoping it isn't coming.

I don't know. I live 1.5 hrs from campus, so it could have been sent saturday or even monday morning.

phenomenon

New

Post by phenomenon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:41 pm

bsm909 wrote:What date are your rejection letters postmarked? Haven't received it yet---hoping it isn't coming.
Thursday March 25 2010

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

austrascruff

New

Post by austrascruff » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:28 pm

phenomenon wrote:

Sorry everybody about the rejections. It's a tough year (I know it has been for me) and remember the applicant pool is up this year even from last year so even though your numbers are good, choosing the class for these committees are very selective whereas in years past without a doubt you would have been accepted. My only acceptance was to University of Idaho. I also applied to UNLV and got rejected. I guess I have to do some thinking about whether to pursue law or another profession.
University of Idaho is not a bad school. If you really want to be a lawyer, go.

vercon

New

Post by vercon » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:33 am

usuaggie wrote:

I am deciding between unlv and oregon, but I haven't heard from oregon yet :(
Exact same boat for me. Rejected at the U yesterday still hoping to hear back from Oregon. Santa Clara put me in 2nd review which I understand is basically waitlisting. L&C rejected me. Oh well, if Oregon doesn't take me it looks like I'll be staying on the east coast.

johnnytall

New

Post by johnnytall » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:47 pm

I am attending Utah in the fall! Anyone else decided to attend? I am already starting to look for apartments. I am pretty excited to live in Salt Lake City.

Zoomba200

New

Post by Zoomba200 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:19 pm

johnnytall wrote:I am attending Utah in the fall! Anyone else decided to attend? I am already starting to look for apartments. I am pretty excited to live in Salt Lake City.
I am attending. I won't be moving there until August though. I am getting excited though! Also looking forward to living in SLC.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”