Anybody heard from Utah? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cLams

Bronze

Re: Anybody heard from Utah?

Post by cLams » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:56 pm

I received my call from Aguilar on 2/23 and my status still reads IR 2/8/2010 so I wouldn't rely too much on the status updates.

Zoomba200

New

Post by Zoomba200 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:00 pm

cLams wrote:I received my call from Aguilar on 2/23 and my status still reads IR 2/8/2010 so I wouldn't rely too much on the status updates.
Congratulations!

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:05 pm

Zoomba200 wrote:
cLams wrote:I received my call from Aguilar on 2/23 and my status still reads IR 2/8/2010 so I wouldn't rely too much on the status updates.
Congratulations!
Thanks! :) Is U of U one of your top choices?

Zoomba200

New

Post by Zoomba200 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:43 pm

cLams wrote:
Zoomba200 wrote:
Congratulations!
Yeah. It is pretty much my top choice at the moment. I am visiting there next week and going to the Stegner Symposium and then visiting a couple other schools during Spring Break. Then hopefully I will have a better feeling for exactly what I want...

What about you?

Mosca

Bronze

Post by Mosca » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:30 pm

usuaggie wrote:
Neelio wrote:anybody have multiple date changes while in review?
basically everybody as far as I know
Not me. Mine went from "In Review" on 12/04 to "Application Complete-Thank You" on 1/28, nothing since.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justcap

New

Post by justcap » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:56 am

I got an email today from Dean Aguilar about a scholarship. It was quite a bit lower than I was hoping for, which all but rules Utah out for me now. Oh well, my wife didn't really care to live in Salt Lake anyway.

tyjole

New

Post by tyjole » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:03 am

justcap wrote:I got an email today from Dean Aguilar about a scholarship. It was quite a bit lower than I was hoping for, which all but rules Utah out for me now. Oh well, my wife didn't really care to live in Salt Lake anyway.

I got my email about scholarship yesterday too. It also was a disappointment. I was only going to consider them if they gave me a full ride + more anyways, so no harm done in my cycle. I'm kind of glad it eliminates any desire to attend there. Good luck to the rest of you.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:28 am

At least you guys have heard something. Its almost like they have completely forgotten about me. I've tried to call the admissions office, but no one ever answers :x

Bobalou

Bronze

Post by Bobalou » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:31 am

I've been "in review" as of 3/4. I'm curious what you were calling for? has your status checker been doing nothing?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:01 pm

Bobalou wrote:I've been "in review" as of 3/4. I'm curious what you were calling for? has your status checker been doing nothing?

Exactly, my status checker has been doing nothing. I just wanted to know an approximate decision date, since they predicted 6 weeks and it has been almost 10.

Bobalou

Bronze

Post by Bobalou » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:08 pm

yo! wrote:
Bobalou wrote:I've been "in review" as of 3/4. I'm curious what you were calling for? has your status checker been doing nothing?

Exactly, my status checker has been doing nothing. I just wanted to know an approximate decision date, since they predicted 6 weeks and it has been almost 10.
ooo, 10? That might warrant an email. This permission coming from a person that doesn't believe in bugging them...

justcap

New

Post by justcap » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:20 pm

yo! wrote:At least you guys have heard something. Its almost like they have completely forgotten about me. I've tried to call the admissions office, but no one ever answers :x
It seems like Utah doesn't care too much about making good impressions on its applicants. I expected more out of them, but I guess they aren't as high caliber as I thought, or as they portray themselves.

Zoomba200

New

Post by Zoomba200 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:26 pm

yo! wrote:At least you guys have heard something. Its almost like they have completely forgotten about me. I've tried to call the admissions office, but no one ever answers :x
I never have luck calling any admissions office, but every time that I have communicated by e-mail I recieve an almost immediate response from any admissions office. Maybe send them a quick e-mail if they have not been answering the phone...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Zoomba200

New

Post by Zoomba200 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:27 pm

justcap wrote:
It seems like Utah doesn't care too much about making good impressions on its applicants. I expected more out of them, but I guess they aren't as high caliber as I thought, or as they portray themselves.
How have they failed to make a good impression? by not giving you a full ride?

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:49 pm

Zoomba200 wrote:
cLams wrote:
Zoomba200 wrote:
Congratulations!
Yeah. It is pretty much my top choice at the moment. I am visiting there next week and going to the Stegner Symposium and then visiting a couple other schools during Spring Break. Then hopefully I will have a better feeling for exactly what I want...

What about you?
It's definitely up there! As of now, the University of Arizona is my top choice out of the schools that I've heard back from. I'm hoping that Utah may offer some scholarship! (unlikely)

tyjole

New

Post by tyjole » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:50 pm

Zoomba200 wrote:
justcap wrote:

In my opinion yes. When you have numbers that exceed their 75th in both lsat and gpa you expect something more than around half tuition. Especially when in-state tuition is going to be roughly 20k for the next year. That's what BYU's non-member rate is. The failed impression is not trying to compete for the best students in the state, its disappointing.

Zoomba200

New

Post by Zoomba200 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:59 pm

tyjole wrote: In my opinion yes. When you have numbers that exceed their 75th in both lsat and gpa you expect something more than around half tuition. Especially when in-state tuition is going to be roughly 20k for the next year. That's what BYU's non-member rate is. The failed impression is not trying to compete for the best students in the state, its disappointing.
Understandable. If I had your numbers I would be disappointed in my scholarship offer as well.

I have had great impressions of everyone I have spoken with and the information they have sent has been very complete and impressive, so I wondered what contact you had found unimpressive. It seems like every school has different scholarship and acceptance tendencies. Some are generous, some are tight fisted, and still others are simply an enigma.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

justcap

New

Post by justcap » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:03 pm

Zoomba200 wrote:
justcap wrote:
Not receiving a full ride is only part of it. When I talked to Dean Aguilar at the USU Grad fair in the fall, he told me how generous they are with scholarships, and that they offer full rides to more than 10% of the applicants. I realize I may not be in the top 10%, but my scores are well above their 75th.

Another part is how long they take to offer admissions at all, and then the extra time it takes to hear about financial aid. You'd think, as tyjole said, that they would want to "compete for the best students in the state," but if they don't begin offering admissions until late, and scholarships come a month after that, they aren't making it an easy choice. Some people haven't even heard back from the school at all, and when they call they do not answer (look at yo!'s post).

This all contributes to not making a good impression. The U was one of my top choices, but now they have dropped.

Zoomba200

New

Post by Zoomba200 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:26 pm

I understand your frustrations. I only wanted to stand up for the U because it is still one of my top choices. I am going to sit in on a class and take a tour tomorrow morning, so hopefully I will still feel the same way.

P.S. I find it interesting that so many of us go to USU...

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:33 pm

Zoomba200 wrote:I understand your frustrations. I only wanted to stand up for the U because it is still one of my top choices. I am going to sit in on a class and take a tour tomorrow morning, so hopefully I will still feel the same way.

P.S. I find it interesting that so many of us go to USU...
We need to start a law school in Logan and show the zoobs n utes how to be a top 40, not just a measly top 45 school.

Foxxtrot

New

Post by Foxxtrot » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:51 pm

We need to start a law school in Logan and show the zoobs n utes how to be a top 40, not just a measly top 45 school.
Haha. Whenever I hear smack from aggie fans I can't help but think of...
http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Springfield_A&M
:P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:32 am

Foxxtrot wrote:
lol haven't seen that one. whenever i hear U fans talking crap, i think of max hall's big inflated head and his class comments.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:18 pm

usuaggie wrote:
Foxxtrot wrote:
lol haven't seen that one. whenever i hear U fans talking crap, i think of max hall's big inflated head and his class comments.
U fans don't talk crap about USU. There isn't really even a rivalry there. We aren't even on the same level when it comes to football, and in basketball you are clearly better this year, and we have been very good other years. I have 3 siblings in school at USU and I go to the U. Besides a little bit of ribbing, there really isn't that much controversy between the two. The U has a better academic reputation overall, but USU has some great programs that the U can't touch. I think the only thing that the U really has on USU is that USU has like a 98% acceptance rate. Its practically open enrollment. The U isn't that much better, but at least has some selectivity.

BYU on the other hand.... What a bunch of choads. (j/k. I have about 30 family members and friends at BYU. They are cool for the most part. Max Hall can take a beer shower at my house anytime he wants.)

bsm909

Bronze

Post by bsm909 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Review date changed again-how many times (or over how long) did you guys have that happen?

nbp

New

Post by nbp » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:54 pm

i got what seems like a small scholarship offer, i am really dissappointed. i got the impression from the email that the one i am offered isn't even renewable (are they all done on a year by year basis only?). does anyone know about negotiating scholarship money at the U? are they open to it, would they increase the offer if matriculation is guaranteed?

i live 5 blocks from the U law school and am considering attenting BYU just for financial reasons, i want to go to the U but for half the money i can get the same education elsewhere.
Last edited by nbp on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”