Let a school know that they are your top choice?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
movieguru873
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:39 pm

Let a school know that they are your top choice?

Postby movieguru873 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:16 pm

My numbers are around the median for my top choice school. They do not have a why x essay but I was thinking of including that the school is my top choice and why in my personal statement. Would this be harmful to my application? For example, would adcomms be more likely to waitlist me because they know that I will accept them later on in the cycle?
Last edited by movieguru873 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Let a school know that they are your to choice?

Postby cardinalandgold » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:22 pm

If a school is truly your top choice, I would not hesitate to mention it in some way on your application. I don't see why a school would penalize you for letting them know that fact. Also, even though your school may not have an official Why X essay that they ask for, you can often submit additional documents with your application. That way, you can include a separate Why X essay if you feel like attaching a Why X paragraph it to the end of your PS would interrupt the flow of your statement or make it seem like it was a substitution paragraph for whatever school you were applying to.

User avatar
oberlin08
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:37 pm

Re: Let a school know that they are your top choice?

Postby oberlin08 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:04 am

What if you let a school know that theyre your top choice, and later in the process you start to change your mind about that school. Is it unethical to not go that that school if admitted?

User avatar
RickyRoe
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Let a school know that they are your top choice?

Postby RickyRoe » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:37 am

oberlin08 wrote:What if you let a school know that theyre your top choice, and later in the process you start to change your mind about that school. Is it unethical to not go that that school if admitted?


If everything you did was in good faith you are fine. If you told every school that they were your top choice it might be crossing an ethical line, but that is still debatable as to the extent of the ethical violation.

User avatar
Snowdrifter
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Let a school know that they are your top choice?

Postby Snowdrifter » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:00 am

Adcomms understand how the cycles work. If you tell one of your 'fair shot' schools (School A) that they are your top choice, but then you get into a reach school (School B), you can explain that to A.

Seat deposits also play a role here. If you tell A they are your top choice, and you put your 1st seat deposit down, but B (higher ranked) lets you in off the waitlist sometime in May, it's not a big deal to tell A 'sorry, i'm going to B'. That's why there is a SECOND seat deposit at most schools in July. :lol:

ArmyVet07
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 6:11 am

Re: Let a school know that they are your top choice?

Postby ArmyVet07 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:19 am

The easiest way to let a school know they're your top choice is to apply ED, and it might even improve your chances.

User avatar
RickyRoe
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Let a school know that they are your top choice?

Postby RickyRoe » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:07 am

ArmyVet07 wrote:The easiest way to let a school know they're your top choice is to apply ED, and it might even improve your chances.


Most schools don't have that option, but yes that is your best chance.

User avatar
BigTabacco
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Let a school know that they are your top choice?

Postby BigTabacco » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:56 am

If I were admitting students, I would like to know if my time is being invested on a fee-waived-shot-in-the-dark-generic application, or someone who's dream it is for me to hold their personal statement. I used the closing section of my PS to clearly establish my direction.

...It is my plan to live and practice law in the Sunshine State. My family is here, as well as over a decade of professional and personal connections. I also desire to attend a school with national prestige, and a diverse set of legal specialties. Thankfully, these goals are not mutually exclusive.

The key to resolution between my desires is to attend the University of Florida. Attending here would allow me to remain close to my family and contacts while potentially giving me an advantage come time to take the Florida Bar Exam.

To be frank, I’m very serious about matriculating at the Fredric G. Levin College of Law, most notably to attend the Institute for Dispute Resolution.

I appreciate this committee taking the time to read my background and goals.
Sincerely,...

ViIIager
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Let a school know that they are your top choice?

Postby ViIIager » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:02 am

Nightrunner wrote:
RickyRoe wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:What if you let a school know that theyre your top choice, and later in the process you start to change your mind about that school. Is it unethical to not go that that school if admitted?


If everything you did was in good faith you are fine. If you told every school that they were your top choice it might be crossing an ethical line, but that is still debatable as to the extent of the ethical violation.


agreed; a good faith representation of your present prerogative is ethical, and (usually) non-binding.


I just view telling schools that they're your one and only love as puffery. The personal statement etc. don't really qualify as a binding contract, so "you're my top choice" claims are just nice window dressing.

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Let a school know that they are your top choice?

Postby lawschoollll » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:21 am

ViIIager wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
RickyRoe wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:What if you let a school know that theyre your top choice, and later in the process you start to change your mind about that school. Is it unethical to not go that that school if admitted?


If everything you did was in good faith you are fine. If you told every school that they were your top choice it might be crossing an ethical line, but that is still debatable as to the extent of the ethical violation.


agreed; a good faith representation of your present prerogative is ethical, and (usually) non-binding.


I just view telling schools that they're your one and only love as puffery. The personal statement etc. don't really qualify as a binding contract, so "you're my top choice" claims are just nice window dressing.


Agreed. But I used "if admitted, I will matriculate" so a school in a (pre-decision) LOCI.

I think THAT can be a useful weapon, especially if you've missed the ED deadline/the school doesn't offer ED. But obviously you can only use that once...




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.