LOCI article and samples Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
JC718

New

Re: LOCI article and samples

Post by JC718 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:02 pm

Hi,

What's the protocol for sending a LOCI before you get a decision? I have one school I applied to 2 months ago and 2 I applied to 3 months ago and haven't heard a word, not even a "held."

I have numerous scholarship deadlines approaching, the first coming up April 7 (I guess I could send the money and then forget about it later if I need to, but still...)

I am VERY interested in all of these 3 schools and it would definitely change my plans.

Should I patiently await a decision or email and tell them of my upcoming deadlines, how interested I still am, etc?

volcom_sig

New

Post by volcom_sig » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:31 pm

just got waitlisted today from my #1 and i'm wondering if i should explain a low gpa if i didn't mention it in my application. i'm 5 years out of school so i was hoping my work experience would outweigh a sub 25% gpa and didn't want to address it since my lsat was solid. should i even bring it up or should i just focus on "positives" like my desire for location/programs/etc?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:45 am

focus on your strengths

ekbrown09

Bronze

Post by ekbrown09 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:28 am

Last edited by ekbrown09 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ekbrown09

Bronze

Post by ekbrown09 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:05 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DavidHasselhoff

New

Post by DavidHasselhoff » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:50 pm

Bump! It's a good and worth-while read.

BitterSplitter

Bronze

Post by BitterSplitter » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:41 pm

tag

FluffMonster

Gold

Post by FluffMonster » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Tag

ajl17

New

Post by ajl17 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:39 am

tag

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thisishoping

New

Post by thisishoping » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Hello! I'm hoping for some advice - I have yet to hear from my #1, and have scheduled a trip up to visit the school, and meet with an admissions member to ask questions and talk more about why I really want to go to the school. Do you think it would be overkill to also send a LOCI to the school conveying my interest? I don't want to burden them with 'junk'. That being said, I know the Admissions Dean has said in blogs/comments in the past years that they don't view LOCI as 'junk'. Thoughts?

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:14 pm

thisishoping wrote:Hello! I'm hoping for some advice - I have yet to hear from my #1, and have scheduled a trip up to visit the school,
I have also yet to hear from a school. Wondering when's a good time to send a LOCI (for a transfer app)...

cshadow

New

Post by cshadow » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:17 pm

I am finishing up writing my LOCI for #1 school, is there anyone who would be willing to read it and perhaps give me some pointers? I have two versions of it and I get the feeling that it could be improved and perhaps make it less repetitive. thanks

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:02 am

All just FYI I talked to Northwestern and they want LOCIs via email not snail mail. They told me they don't even read anything sent snail mail.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dodoqueen

New

Post by dodoqueen » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:19 pm

Thanks for all your help! I'm not sure if this was already addressed but I can't find it anywhere... What should I put in the body of the email if I email my LOCI as an attachment, and who should I address it to? Just "Dear Office of Admissions, please accept my attached letter of continued interest," or copy and paste the entire LOCI into the body, or what?

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:59 pm

dodoqueen wrote:Thanks for all your help! I'm not sure if this was already addressed but I can't find it anywhere... What should I put in the body of the email if I email my LOCI as an attachment, and who should I address it to? Just "Dear Office of Admissions, please accept my attached letter of continued interest," or copy and paste the entire LOCI into the body, or what?
I'm curious about this too. I'm leaning towards a super brief "this is attached here" and have it attached as a .pdf

I called UPenn, and they said a LOCI should be the two-page essay which should be formatted like other application materials. I was planning to just said a brief e-mail (like above) with the LOCI structured like a traditional personal statement (just a header with name, LSN account number, attachment title and page number). I'm trying to avoid 1/2-3/4 a page from including my address, their address, etc. Is this doable? A brief e-mail with a "statement of continued interest" rather than a letter?

This could be silly to ask.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:22 am

should one send a loci after getting WL to their top choice if there's no significant update to include?

is it a good idea to use LOCI to try to answer 'why law' if it's not answered in the app before and is relevant to the applicant's file?

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:13 pm

appind wrote:should one send a loci after getting WL to their top choice if there's no significant update to include?

is it a good idea to use LOCI to try to answer 'why law' if it's not answered in the app before and is relevant to the applicant's file?
The general guideline is it's ok to send an email after you are waitlisted to let them know you are still interested/don't want to withdraw. It is ok if you dont have a significant update for your first email (obviously its better if you do), but after that, dont bother them unless you have new information.
You can send a why law essay or DS if you didnt include it in your original app. Some schools also allow an additional LOR, but this is school specific and I would check with the school first. For example, I applied to a school that wants 2- and only 2-LORs, but I was encouraged to send a third if I was WL.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”