how to write a "why i want to go to your school" paragraph? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Gatorade

New

how to write a "why i want to go to your school" paragraph?

Post by Gatorade » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:42 am

as i skimming through the PS sample thread, lot of them doesn't have one, yet I read ppl saying adcomm like to see that, why u want to go to their school, and preferablly you have done some research on their school.

besides the (A) u guys are top 14 (B)I want a good job when i graduate,
can u guys please give some pointers on what else to write about?

thx a bunch

amr105

New

Re: how to write a "why i want to go to your school" paragraph?

Post by amr105 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:58 am

how about specific programs the school offers? maybe the school is know for its public interest program or IP program for example. you can also go with the location and why it's best for you (maybe you like cities or have a lot of personal ties to a certain area). try looking up class offerings and clinical programs that interest you and go from there.

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:37 pm

I would say the best way to do so is to actually visit the school and tour it. Find out what legitimately interests you that other schools don't have. Don't write a "why I want to go to your school" essay if A)All your research on the school in question has been done on the internet B)You really don't know the answer to that question.

Gatorade

New

Post by Gatorade » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:15 pm

hey, scottie, check ur PM, lol

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:21 am

A) Have a reason to attend. B) Write a paragraph about it. You can find more than enough for a paragraph on any school's website. It works best if you can connect something you find with either a genuine interest that you have in a certain field of law or some substantial aspect of your prior schooling and work experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:33 am

Have you considered sending the same PS to everybody and having a different addendum for each school about why you want to attend that particular program?

Gatorade

New

Post by Gatorade » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:58 am

chitown825 wrote:Have you considered sending the same PS to everybody and having a different addendum for each school about why you want to attend that particular program?

that has came across my mind. attach a separate statement file when submitting the entire application?

a side question, on lsac application process, it lets u attach as many documents as one want with the electronic application, right? so we just have to make sure the name makes sense? not some random file1 file2 etc, but has to be like intention to enroll addendum, excuse for arrest addendum, etc?

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:01 am

Gatorade wrote:
chitown825 wrote:Have you considered sending the same PS to everybody and having a different addendum for each school about why you want to attend that particular program?

that has came across my mind. attach a separate statement file when submitting the entire application?

a side question, on lsac application process, it lets u attach as many documents as one want with the electronic application, right? so we just have to make sure the name makes sense? not some random file1 file2 etc, but has to be like intention to enroll addendum, excuse for arrest addendum, etc?
It doesn't particularly matter... You can upload them and then type a new name for it. Addendum 1, Addendum 2.... should work. Or you could type Addendum - Grade Trend. To my knowledge it doesn't matter.

Gatorade

New

Post by Gatorade » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:05 am

chitown825 wrote:
Gatorade wrote:

It doesn't particularly matter... You can upload them and then type a new name for it. Addendum 1, Addendum 2.... should work. Or you could type Addendum - Grade Trend. To my knowledge it doesn't matter.

u mean the adcom can just read the pages, and realize what they are for? yeah, kinda expect that much from them, lol

after i submit my application package, any additional addenum will have be mailed, or emailed separately? and that risks the document not get attached to the application package?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:52 pm

This is not the purpose of an addendum. I would keep it in the PS or write a separate "why X" essay. But don't call it an addendum.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:00 pm

Let me preface this by saying that the PS is about LGBT stuff, and I swear to God none of the rest of it has this lofty, fluffy, and aspirational:

For UCLA:
"California is a battleground state in the clash for human dignity and equal rights. The Williams Institute on Sexual Orientation Law may be the closest thing any law school has to a war college for this conflict. It is a program with an unmatched reputation in the field of sexual orientation law."

Berkeley and Minnesota I personalized by simply writing the page requirement. I don't think you have to mention Berkeley in your 4 page PS for them to know you wrote it for them, same goes for Minnesotas 5 page limit.

Personalizing doesn't always have to include a specific program, you'll notice from reading the interviews some law schools are intersted in more holistic motivational forces, while others are looking for more goal oriented PS's, keeping these factors in mind may also help you appeal.

I also think that connecting a specific program with your background helps to sell it. For Cornell, I mentioned my focus in political science on genocide studies in connection with their international human rights clinic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”