MY personal statement... Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
darrel99

New

Re: MY personal statement...

Post by darrel99 » Fri May 20, 2011 11:52 pm

I never like the term Hollywood Marine, it was always some smartass that went to P.I. that ever used the term and it was always a form of one gunmanship implying that a P. I. recruit somehow had it harder .I went through MCRD in winter / spring of 1968. My family all serve and the majority were Marines. I had an uncle who served under Chesty Puller at the Chosen Reservoir.

I had cousins who served with me in the 1st Mar Div. in 69. I had other cousins who served in peace time after Viet Nam but before the first gulf war and I might have some serving now. I come from a large family.
When I read this” Hollywood Marines” post I recognized it for what it was and I was not going to comment on because I saw this type of thing happen time after time since I was discharged in Oct of 70. Every stranger you spoke with either served with the 101st and fought at Hamburger Hill or was a Hard Charging Recon Marine all heroes everyone . It got so bad that they passed a stolen valor law but I think it been overturn on 1st amendment ground by the 9 circuit I believe.

For those who know it doesn’t matter and for all the rest who cares. But a point that should be made is that a would be lawyer should have a degree of integrity and the person who wrote this Hollywood Marine story is lacking it and if the story get him into law school he stealing a chair from some who deserves it. If he graduates I certainly hope he doesn’t get past the state bar examiners.

I do know that if he tries to ride this story to a career someday he will come face to face with a Marine and it will stopped right there. I don’t approve of this type dishonesty.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Sun May 22, 2011 4:39 am

On April 24, 2000, I enlisted in the United States Marine Corps.
This needs to be the beginning paragraph of your essay. Scrap everything above it.

richardsaunders

New

Post by richardsaunders » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:06 pm

ridingcrops wrote:I have to agree with the post of the SSgt. I saw thru this clown as soon as he said he went to do his boot in Pendelton. Marines only train in 2 places, Parris Island and MCRD San Diego. They only go to Pendelton to use the range and then back to dego. So this guy is a poser and you should quit calling yourself a Marine and insulting us that have earned the title. And yes I have in '69 and then off to the Nam as a 2533 radio/telegraph operator.

:roll:
West Coast recruits go through two months of boot camp at MCRD San Diego and the third month of the training cycle is at Camp Pendleton for field training. Typically, Camp Pendleton has better name recognition than MCRD outside of the Marine community--I can see why someone would say they went to boot camp at Camp Pendleton when addressing civilians as it does constitute a third of their recruit training.

YUUUT!

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:53 am

Seems wierd to fabricate a story and post it on TLS for review. I'll just assume this is legit and post my feedback:
As confidant as I was in my skills as a Police Officer, I wanted to now apply those skills in a courtroom. My fascination had now been drawn towards law. No longer enforcing it, but practicing it.
Explore "why" a bit more in depth. You say you went from being a police officer to wanting to practice law. You never fully explain why.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:17 pm

How has no one noticed that this thread is from 2008?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patrickcn

New

Post by patrickcn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:46 pm

richardsaunders wrote:
ridingcrops wrote:I have to agree with the post of the SSgt. I saw thru this clown as soon as he said he went to do his boot in Pendelton. Marines only train in 2 places, Parris Island and MCRD San Diego. They only go to Pendelton to use the range and then back to dego. So this guy is a poser and you should quit calling yourself a Marine and insulting us that have earned the title. And yes I have in '69 and then off to the Nam as a 2533 radio/telegraph operator.

:roll:
West Coast recruits go through two months of boot camp at MCRD San Diego and the third month of the training cycle is at Camp Pendleton for field training. Typically, Camp Pendleton has better name recognition than MCRD outside of the Marine community--I can see why someone would say they went to boot camp at Camp Pendleton when addressing civilians as it does constitute a third of their recruit training.

YUUUT!
Any true/Real Marine wouldnt say that. They'd say they went to either P.I. or MCRD San Diego for boot camp. I understand you are trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but sorry he's a real fraud.

patrickcn

New

Post by patrickcn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:53 pm

Magnolia wrote:How has no one noticed that this thread is from 2008?
Yes I did notice the date of this post. BUT we are investigating all these frauds and going to initiate actions for trying them under the "Stolen Valor Act".
In my opinion there is no excuse for these frauds. They disgrace all of us that served and are serving. This one is trying to make himself look better for acceptance into the legal profession. I would hope that a profession such as legal would want to investigate and weed out these types of people to keep your honor clean.

Sorry to bring this thread back to life but.....
Semper Fi
From a real Combat Marine Veteran
Semper Fi to my fellow Marine on here who was a 2533! I started out as a 2531 then 2537, then 0321.

cdcowan

New

Post by cdcowan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:44 pm

re8elmonk0341 wrote:I can honestly say that this "HOLLYWOOD MARINE" joker isn't and have never been in the Marine Corp. I'm a Ssgt currently serving and is attatched with Wounded Warriors Bn W in Camp Pendleton and after reading this bull crap of a story I had to register and reply. I must say before I do. I don't care about grammer. I just want to say what I have to say and I'll be out of y'all hair. I served with 3rd Bn &th Mar as a Mortarman from the initail push to Baghdad in 2003 to Ramadi in 2006. 3 combat deployments. I served in Karbala and don't recall anyone earning the Navy Cross. Like scott82 said if you are a Marine and lost his leg in combat then my hats off to you but if you're not I don't see why you have to come on here and fabricate a story like that and discredit all the men who've died and is currently serving. Just come out with it and tell the truth. You can fool some civilians but to a Marine and a combat vet you can't fool us and better belive your "story" is circulating in the Corp to uncover who you really are.

To all of the real Marines Semper Fi and God Bless.
Ssgt USMC 3/7 Kilo Co. '03-'06
My stepson was with Kilo, 3/7 0341 from 04. 2 tours then FAP'd to PMO. Came back to 29 Palms as MP.
I was 3/11 Ops Chief, 04-09 then MCTOG to 2010 when I retired.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:38 pm

The thread that will never die.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”