Swapping personal statements Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
dreamweaver87

Bronze

Re: Swapping personal statements

Post by dreamweaver87 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:18 pm

just wrote a first draft of my PS. interested in swapping, if you'd like to PM me.

satori22

New

Post by satori22 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:12 pm

if any of the people who just posted haven't already found someone to swap with, I'd be happy to do so. Please just message me.

schnauzerlover

New

Post by schnauzerlover » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:58 pm

Message me if you want to swap. Thanks!

acfink77

New

Post by acfink77 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:24 pm

looking to swap. PM me.

Bill James

New

Post by Bill James » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:32 pm

Anyone want to swap?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:37 pm

willing to critique/edit someone's PS. PM me.

mid_life_crisisx10

New

Post by mid_life_crisisx10 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:04 pm

Anyone interested in reading a DS statement about physical abuse and alcoholism from a nontraditional student? It not a tear jerker. I'm considering this a complete, so a few last minute opinions are welcome.

Ms. Art Law

New

Post by Ms. Art Law » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:52 pm

Hello is anyone willing to swap personal statements with me? Just PM me if you want to. :D

letmein2010

New

Post by letmein2010 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:33 pm

looking to swap statements as well. could use some feedback on mine, just send a pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:31 am

I really want to swap...email me znscalzo@gmail.com! Im ready when you are!

SMUDallas2010

New

Post by SMUDallas2010 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:46 pm

Interested in swapping PS. Email me if you're interested. jeff@duffeyhomes.com.

Thanks!

pamplemousse

New

Post by pamplemousse » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:34 pm

Anyone interested in reading my PS? I will gladly read yours.

Thankies--

welkyn

New

Post by welkyn » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:05 pm

anyone interested in reading my PS? Please PM me....
English is not my mother language, so I am not sure swapping will help you much... but if you want to swap with me, I am very happy to do that....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:12 pm

I'm a good, experienced writer who has done his fair share of research into what law schools want. I am (hopefully) close to being done with my personal statement, and I am more than willing to swap with somebody.

I'm trying to finish my apps ASAP, so please only respond if you're going to be able to review my Personal Statement quickly. PM me...

loser148

New

Post by loser148 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Given, this may be over a year old, but if someone makes it to umm...page 42, I'm happy to edit for content or trade...still not confident about my own stuff, though..............................

WhatSarahSaid

Bronze

Post by WhatSarahSaid » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:27 am

I won't claim to be any kind of PS expert, but I've been lurking these forums since June and I'll happily judge anyone's PS. I'm a copy editor for a newspaper, so, upon request, I'll also tear apart your grammar.

greent1

New

Post by greent1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:22 am

I just finished a rough draft of my ps and I would like to swap with someone asap to get a second opinion. It is short and a quick read. You can either pm me or send it to gchild253@hotmail.com

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

seemingmeaning

New

Post by seemingmeaning » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:38 am

Hello everyone:

Just signed on as a new member and I am applying to law school for fall 2010. So far, I will apply to 14 law programs, scattered throughout the South, Midwest, and Northeast region. If anyone is willing to swap PS/DS with me, I'll be happy to read. :)

Thanks and good luck everyone!

guy anglade
seemingmeaning@gmail.com

silas84

New

Post by silas84 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:43 am

Last edited by silas84 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:16 pm

PM me to swap...thanks!

MegD

New

Post by MegD » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:15 pm

I am applying to Vermont for Fall 2010 and they ask for 3 essays. There is only one where it seems appropriate to make an appeal to my development as a person and any struggles that I may have faced. While the reality of my struggles is far too convoluted to actually put on paper in a succinct manner, I wanted to express what I have gone through and the person it has helped me become. The essay topic is, "How have you tried to effect change in relation to an issue of personal, local, or national significance?" I am only halfway done with my essay, but would like any input as to whether or not I am heading in the right direction. I won't post it in the message, as I don't want to annoy anyone who thinks it would clutter the board. Let me know if you can help.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:18 pm

I have a rough draft of my Personal Statement that I'd love to have someone critique. I've gotten comments from various people, but no one else going through the application process, so I think someone on this site would have a better idea as to what the adcoms are looking for!

If you're interested please PM me ASAP. Thanks!!

nikkei325i

New

Post by nikkei325i » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:38 pm

Does anyone want to critique my essay?

KJ1185

New

Post by KJ1185 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:27 pm

Any critique will help - I haven't completed the essay yet but I want some ideas about my direction. Be gentle, I've been out of school for a few years.

There I sat on my great uncle’s lap tossing his quarters into the pot at the annual Christmas poker game. I was listening to the sounds of dishes being washed and grown ups talk about their stressful jobs when my aunt turned to me and asked “Kimmy, what do you want to do when you grow up?” My answer had been same for as long as I can remember. “I want to be a teacher, a lawyer, or a nurse.” I do not know why I chose these three career paths by the age of 5 but by age 9, I had stitches in my chin and knew I hated needles and blood. By age 13, I realized that I did not want to be in a classroom all day with little kids, preteens, or teenagers. By the time I got to high school, I was planning a future in law.
My first real experiences with the law came when I was a child and my aunt became an attorney. I remember being enthralled by her wild stories of the juveniles that she represented. Each time I saw her, she had a new one to tell. Hearing about adolescents going to detention centers and children being taken away from their parents certainly kept me out of trouble during my teenage years. Over the summers in high school, I would work in her office reading briefs, filing papers, and answering phones. By the time I was 16, my aunt was elected to become a judge in the Worcester Juvenile Court. When it was time to close her legal practice so she could take the bench, I worked in her office helping her send files out to their new attorneys. While other students hung out with friends and enjoyed the summer sun at the beach, I was content closing out adoption files and briefing new attorneys. After that summer, I knew that the law was something I wanted to delve deeper into. I enrolled in a Legal Aspects class my senior year of high school and found myself most interested in criminal and juvenile activity. While filling out applications, Northeastern University’s College of Criminal Justice stood out from other schools and I crossed my fingers, hoping for a large acceptance packet rather than a small rejection letter.
I spent my four years at Northeastern failing to utilize their amazing co-op opportunities to prepare myself for a position in my field upon graduation. Instead, I took a job in a debt collection firm which required me to press 5, 7, 2 every time I wanted to automatically generate a motion. Nobody taught me the laws that I was supposed to be upholding nor did I learn the civil litigation process along the way. Upon graduation I took a job in a law firm focusing on criminal law, personal injury, and real estate. With absolutely zero experience to help me, I learned how to close a real estate deal and probate an estate with little guidance from the attorney. My proudest moments in the office came when my legal research was recognized by judges around the state. Over the two years I spent in the law office, I wrote several motions and memorandums based on research that I alone had conducted. The attorney came back several times with evidence suppressed and complaints dismissed much to the satisfaction of our clients. Although I have spent time in the courtroom, I was not trained nor licensed to argue my work; but I knew my motions inside and out. I could have argued my case for days but instead, the recognition went to the attorney.
After years of working in an office researching the law and reading cases, it was time for me to continue growing. My aunt set me up with a Juvenile Court Investigator, who would soon become my mentor and teacher. Each time a child is taken out of the home, the court hires an independent investigator to speak with all the involved parties and make recommendations as to what he or she believes should happen with the family. I shadowed my mentor while she interviewed parents, foster parents, and children. I read report after report to get a feel for the process and eventually applied to become an investigator in two counties. These investigations have allowed me to see the law through the eyes of a child. While most of the parents involved in the investigations have lengthy criminal records, many of them also have their child’s best interest at heart. I taught myself to look past some of the parents’ wrongs to make the right decisions for these helpless children. Most of the families have stories that could make the most callous person feel sympathy. Sometimes it required choosing the lesser of two evils; place the child in foster care or put the child back in the home with substance abusing parents. Other times, parents would be missing and it was clear that the child should be placed in foster care and eventually put up for adoption.
As I continue on with my legal career, moving to a position with the Federal Bureau of Investigations, I will be leaving my law office job and may have to give up my position as a Court Investigator due to time constraints. As much as I enjoyed the learning experiences in both positions, I am ready to grow and learn from a new company. More importantly, I am ready to continue on with my legal education. It is my turn to argue motions in front of the judge rather than sit back and watch. It is my turn to represent the children rather than investigate their background. It is my turn to be an attorney for the FBI rather than support staff for the agents.

astorlove

New

Post by astorlove » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:59 am

PM me if you want to swap PS ASAP. I will read tonight!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”