Swapping personal statements

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
holborn

Re: Swapping personal statements

Postby holborn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:47 am

its late, but any one else up and would like to swap?

Bill James

Postby Bill James » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:34 pm

Anyone want to swap personal statements?

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:58 pm

I'm well researched into what law schools are looking for in their personal statements and an exceptional writer. I'm looking for somebody to swap statements with who is also pretty far along with their personal statement. PM me for my e-mail address

Bill James

Postby Bill James » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:46 pm

julesm2200 wrote:its late, but any one else up and would like to swap?

If no one has swapped with you yet, I'll do it.

yeahyeah2121

Postby yeahyeah2121 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:43 pm

Any one around who wants to swap? Mine is pretty straightforward. I'm just looking for some style feedback. I'll thoroughly line edit yours in return! If you're interested just PM me!

NCcop2lawyer

Postby NCcop2lawyer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:49 pm

I looking to swap with someone. This is my raw first draft.

fafane

Postby fafane » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:36 am

NCcop2lawyer wrote:I looking to swap with someone. This is my raw first draft.

I am would like to swap statements. I also completed my first draft. Please pm me if you're interested.

ILoveLeo

Postby ILoveLeo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:37 pm

Would someone like to swap statements with me? I have two different ones that I would like input on. Thanks :)

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:54 pm

Please critique my PS and linked DS, thanks in advance.

Personal Statement

Lyndon B. Johnson noted that “every man is either trying to make up for his father’s mistakes or live up to his expectations”. The former applies to me; a fact which has become increasingly clear as I have turned my gaze inward. My drive to make up for my father’s professional and personal mistakes persists as the driving force behind my ambition to overcome his legacy; epitomized by my moving to the USA in pursuit of a legal education.

Few memories of growing up remain as pertinent as my parents’ divorce. In the seminal memory I am sixteen, sitting in my modest bedroom in rural Aberdeenshire (Scotland) and I can overhear a familiar argument from the kitchen. My father is in a long streak of unemployment with no end in sight, and his alcoholism is depriving emotional and financial support from his three sons. My father would be gone in less than a month and has since offered no support to the family he left. This, however, was only the beginning of our problems. Unknown to his wife he had been withholding taxable income, and was forced into bankruptcy shortly after his departure. My mother was saddled with re-payments in order to keep her home. My brothers and I would have to take responsibility for out own finances and take our moral guidance from a single mother already at the end of her tether.

My mother has dedicated her life to teaching high school children, living honestly and responsibly. She has also been working a second job on weekends and evenings for as long as I can remember. It is from her I take my work ethic and morals; qualities which I value above all others.

The year after the divorce I graduated from high school as head prefect (class president equivalent) and went to work in government finance. Primarily it was a good way to raise money for my university education, which I had deferred for a year, thus alleviating the financial burden from my mother. However, it was a great opportunity to gain work and life experience before moving away from home. I grew up immeasurably in this year; learning how to handle my own finances, help support my broken family and prepare for university. Postponing my own education was the only option, but in retrospect it would have been the best decision regardless.

When in university I worked while attaining my degree. I also played middle hitter for the top tier University Volleyball Team (captain in 08-09). By my senior year I was working full time, and maintaining an upward grade trend. My work ethic makes clear that I have never felt any sense of entitlement; everything I have achieved has been worked for and the effects of relying on my self have been unmistakably positive.

My recent move from Scotland to America has also come of my own hard-work. Securing employment in America after graduation was difficult enough, but I also had to work through my final exams and graduation in order save the necessary money to take this risk. Furthermore, I had to familiarize myself with American immigration law when applying for my work visa. I juggled final exams, full-time work and navigating through the maze of immigration simply to be in the position of applying to law school. My own initiative is the only reason I have gotten to where I am and is proof of my dedication to this path.

Revisiting that memory alone in my bedroom has forced me to reflect on the changes I have made and the challenges I have risen to. My independent journey through university and subsequent move to the USA, though fraught with obstacles, has shown me that mistakes of the past need not impinge upon future generations. My aim is clear and the means familiar. The work ethic and honesty taken from my mother will serve me well as I pursue a career in law; both qualities I know are highly valued by xxx law school and the legal profession.

Diversity Statement

When I was born in Aberdeen, Scotland there was no hint that I had any abnormalities. But as I grew older it became apparent that my vision was not as it should be. By the age of two doctors had diagnosed a rare, irreversible condition, whereby the retina of my right eye had not connected to the eyeball, leaving me completely blind in that eye. This was of huge concern to my parents who were convinced that this would reduce my abilities to perform every day tasks. They were also concerned about the strain this would place on the one remaining ‘good eye’.

As I grew older I adapted; the taunts from my brothers (one likening me to 'Cyclops') gradually ceased, and although the lack of depth perception remained I outperformed my peers in several sports while remaining dedicated to my studies. Both of the aforementioned were encouraged by my mother, a lifelong P.E. teacher. Sports were backbone of my extra-curricular life until my final year of high school; when I put myself through the rigors or peer review and was named ‘head prefect’ (the equivalent of class president); a testament to my strength of character.

After I left high school I kept up with sports and education, conquering my affliction to play middle hitter all four years for my University’s men’s volleyball team (captaining the team in the 2008 season), maintaining a single figure golf handicap, and playing soccer every weekend. At this time I was also attaining the most competitive degree at the No.1 ranked University in Scotland (maintaining a steady upward grade trend). This pursuit of attainment was my personal response to the disadvantage with which I was born.

I maintain the attitude that my disability will not prevent me from attainment, and although I have learned to live with my partial sight, it will always be there. I have proved that the obstacles created can be overcome with determination. I have long accepted my disability; but I will not accept that it might hinder my chances of success.

drewallnjohnson

Postby drewallnjohnson » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:53 pm

I would like to swap personal statements...Have a draft I have been working on for a while but not totally completed and polished; however, willing to swap with someone at any stage....PM me or email me @ drewallnjohnson@gmail.com

-Thanks all

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:59 pm

Back for another PS swap, anyone interested?

mufyani

Postby mufyani » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:54 pm

Hey, I'm here for another swap as well! I rewrote my statement. Anyone around willing to take a look? Thanks

belkin00

Postby belkin00 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:46 am

does anyone want to swap personal statements, or is anyone gracious enough to read mine? Thanks

booboo

Postby booboo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:13 pm

Hey, if anyone is interested in swapping personal statements with me, I'd love for you to shoot me a PM. Thanks all.

clevinger

Postby clevinger » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:14 am

Would love to swap PS with someone.

Here's mine: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=100490 (Go to the revised version)

PM me if you want to swap. Thanks!

Xizenta

Postby Xizenta » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:54 am

Please PM if you want to swap.

woodstocker

Postby woodstocker » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:33 am

Available to swap...PM or send it... will reciprocate

brass_monkey

Postby brass_monkey » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:41 pm

Available to swap... PM me.

Lucky12

Postby Lucky12 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:14 pm

I'm available to swap. Just send me a PM.

acfink77

Postby acfink77 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:53 pm

Anybody up to swap statements? Shoot me a PM

kanji4488

Postby kanji4488 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:13 pm

Available to swap, just PM me

barkingbug

Postby barkingbug » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:24 pm

Last edited by barkingbug on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:46 pm

Down for another swap. Hopefully almost done this time.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:31 pm

If you want to swap, PM me anytime.

arh8426

Postby arh8426 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:08 pm

Interested in swapping statements, I have a 1p DS

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”