Swapping personal statements Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
somi

New

Re: Swapping personal statements

Post by somi » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:38 pm

hi guys
I am a female lawyer from Iran with master’s degree in human rights and I also want to apply for LLM in international business law in usa.
I want to write Ps and I've read all of the sample in forum.
But I don't have any special story .I've just studied law and human rights law and worked as a lawyer.
Any Idea?
thanks

cactusflower

Bronze

Post by cactusflower » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:14 pm

Last edited by cactusflower on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mes10d

Bronze

Post by mes10d » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:34 pm

--
Last edited by mes10d on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Meghan2188

New

Post by Meghan2188 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:18 am

Hey guys! I am posting a draft of one of my PS here. Any and All comments can be helpful and much appreciated. Currently this essay is directed toward NCCU, but I am planning on changing the ending to cater to many other schools. Thanks so much!

“Clunk, Clunk, Clunk”, I still hear the sound of my pink cowgirl boots as I galloped down the sidewalk to fetch the mail for my mother. I remember finding a blank envelope with a wad of cash along with a “Jesus loves you” card inside and seeing my motherʼs eyes swell with tears as she tried to answer her little girlʼs question as to why “Jesus” would leave money in the mailbox at our Harvey, Louisiana home. Looking for stability after divorce, my mother and I moved to Seminary, Mississippi, a place with a population smaller than many high schools. Sure, a mobile home in a cow pasture still shakes with the wind, but there she was less buffeted than she had been while with my father.

My Nana used to say that my mother and father’s relationship was like a bridge with too much water under it. The slightest wave would wash over it and storms would use the accumulation to threaten to wash it away. Again and again this drama played out throughout my childhood – gambits with child support checks, feints with visitation weekends. My mother was an English teacher, not an expert in trench warfare.

Too young to understand the anonymous donations in the mailbox or the court filings that came later, I was unable to help. In my grandmother’s kitchen and in her roles within the church, my mother eventually found stability she sought. My interest in law comes from these experiences and my personal knowledge that there are women who do not know the available legal avenues and daughters who do not understand how to cope.

Going into college, I knew two things: I enjoyed the passion of political debate and hated the thought of student loan debt limiting my options upon graduation. I had literally found my voice in high school shuttling in a hand me down Hyundai to wait tables and clean pools to save money for travel to national singing competitions in Chicago, New York, and elsewhere. A professional singing career was never a seriously considered option, but I will admit it does not take much for me or my mother to share the time I placed third in a national competition performing center-stage at the Grand Ole Opry.

The closest I came to singing professionally were through the choir scholarships that covered my first two years at community college and part of my tuition at the University of Mississippi. As living expenses piled on top of tuition, I found another rhythm – the idle chatter of bar patrons and the hollow ring of the register –proved to be more profitable. Tending bar at the local blues club, I transitioned from days in the classroom discussing the role of women in genocides to nights practicing my Spanish with patrons. The tempo quickened the closer I came to graduating with my double major. Cover your shift? Yes, please. Homework or stay later? Tuesdays are slow, so why not both?

Upon graduation I moved to Illinois to assist on a successful Congressional campaign. In my free time I used my language skills to help Hispanic female parolees integrate back into society. The area was plagued by high recidivism rates for women, many of whom had no place to go except back to the destructive environments they knew before incarceration. I began writing grants to fund a female-only halfway house for a faith-based non-profit dedicated to helping women in crisis. Again I saw women in need of stability who were so consumed by their situation they only saw consequences and not the bigger picture that would help them find solutions.

To gain experience that would help me transition to a career in law, I returned to New Orleans to become the sole legal assistant in a three attorney firm. While diligently drafting motions and preparing for depositions I saw how the attorneys used knowledge of a precedent case or the mechanics of the law to advocate for clients. They taught me the meaning of professional responsibility as I began seeing in each case a person or a family.  Now that I am twenty five years old, with three years of professional experience, the financial freedom to commit to academic excellence, and a set of transferable legal knowledge and skills, I am ready to gain an intimate understanding of the law.

Courses like the Children and the Law summer course and the Family Law Clinic attract me to North Carolina Central University. Programs that allow me to work directly with clients are a perfect transition into actual practice. With the Center for Child and Family Health, I would be able to apply my personal experiences in mentoring women in crisis, and the understanding the mental and emotional strains that issues like divorce can bring on a family. This center gives the rare opportunity of collaborating with other law students from schools all over the state, learning from one another’s experiences, and freely exchanging ideas between other students interested in family law.

Attending law school in an area where my investment will extend beyond the classroom and into the surrounding community is very important to me. North Carolina Central University is located in the Raleigh-Durham area, the very heartbeat of the judicial system, providing employment opportunities that could allow me call North Carolina my future home. Through out my life, I have heard different rhythms; the ups and downs of being reared by a single parent in a low-income family, the long struggle of reaching financial stability, the confident tones of realizing my strengths and knowing how I can manifest them into a career as an attorney. Today I hear a new rhythm, and I hope you will allow me to follow it through the doors of North Carolina Central University School of Law.

ishagol

New

Post by ishagol » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:53 pm

Looking for someone to swap. Mine is around 1000 words. Msg me please

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:27 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake

Bronze

Post by NotASpecialSnowflake » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:19 pm

I am also looking for feedback in my PS. I had a terrible cycle and I believe it may be due to my personal statement. Please PM me if you are interested in swapping PS.

180kickflip

Bronze

Post by 180kickflip » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:15 pm

I've got a short (650 words) diversity/personal statement that I'd love some feedback on if anyone's down to swap with me.

aka1

New

Post by aka1 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:43 pm

Last edited by aka1 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gentlemanscholar

Bronze

Post by gentlemanscholar » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:01 pm

Happy to swap. Got plenty of time to edit and I'm a careful reader.

lilith66

Bronze

Post by lilith66 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:14 am

I'd love to swap and get some feedback! PM me!

janborn

New

Post by janborn » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:50 pm

Looking for advice on my ps, i have posted it here http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=234232, but there is no reply...

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:30 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Irish11

New

Post by Irish11 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:13 pm

The game I'm watching just went to rain delay and took my evening with it. Anyone up for swapping personal statements?

qmn101

New

Post by qmn101 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:39 am

Finally started using TLS, I am prepping for the upcoming application cycle. I've written for various publications and edited for a short time. Looking for anyone with a keen eye, candid remarks, and constructive feedback. Let's swap!

psychmusic

Bronze

Post by psychmusic » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:26 am

Last edited by psychmusic on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zhining

New

Post by zhining » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:52 pm

Irish11 wrote:The game I'm watching just went to rain delay and took my evening with it. Anyone up for swapping personal statements?
I know this is a bit late, but are you still looking to swap personal statements? I am currently working on mine and want to know if I am going in the right direction. Let me know!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lscaduto

New

Post by lscaduto » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi, everyone! I'm done with drafting my Personal Statement, and I would love to get some feedback. PM me if you'd like to swap! I'm not a PS expert, but I have editing experience:)

tennactitans

New

Post by tennactitans » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:21 am

Seeking advice on completed one and two page personal statements. Will offer feedback in return. PM.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:49 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mickey_mouse

Bronze

Post by mickey_mouse » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:21 pm

If anyone is looking for someone to swap a personal statement with, please PM me! I love reading other PSs and really want to get some outside opinions on mine before I submit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bohemiandaisy

New

Post by bohemiandaisy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:08 pm

Hello! Can anyone help me with my personal statement topic? I'd great appreciate it! I want someone to see if the topic is good before I start. I'm desperate!

I posted the topic here:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=237477

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:20 pm

Hey I am down to swap. At this point I have the first page down for two personal statements. Still deciding on which one to proceed with. All I'd want to know is which one you found most appealing.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:47 pm

I'm still in the brainstorming stage of writing my PS. Is anyone interested in talking on skype or a chat room to discuss some ideas together?

keosu11

Bronze

Post by keosu11 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:00 pm

Seoulless wrote:Hey I am down to swap. At this point I have the first page down for two personal statements. Still deciding on which one to proceed with. All I'd want to know is which one you found most appealing.

I wrote two as well, trying to figure out which of the two I like more. I'm definitely willing to swap with you or anyone else. Send me PM with yours and and I'll send mine back.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”