Swapping personal statements Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Re: Swapping personal statements

Post by Capt_Beatty » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:40 pm

Also need help. PM me.

neubyneu

New

Post by neubyneu » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:40 pm

willing to glance over others'
Last edited by neubyneu on Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

nynina

New

Post by nynina » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:20 am

-
Last edited by nynina on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0LawSchool

New

Post by 0LawSchool » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:27 pm

Would anyone be willing to read over my personal statement? PM please! I'm happy to read over yours :)

whizzer18

New

Post by whizzer18 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:50 pm

If anyone would like to swap pm me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

caliway321

New

Post by caliway321 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:39 am

I'd like to swap personal statements with someone!

Preferably, I'd like to swap with someone who is "in the same boat" as me, so here's some background: blanketing the T-14, waiting on my LSAT score, expecting 170+ based on PTs. I have a hard time navigating the fine line between sincerity and cheesiness, and I'd like someone to tell me whether or not I've succeeded. My personal statement is values-based, and I would like to hear the perspective of someone who has never met me--i.e., how does my character come across in the statement? Do I seem like someone you'd like to have as a law school classmate?

PM me if interested. I honestly love reading other people's writing, and will be able to give feedback quickly. I also won't critique statements just for the sake of saying something--if your PS is fantastic, I will tell you that it's fantastic.

Question12345

New

Post by Question12345 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:21 pm

id be willing to swap with anyone

bearedman8

Bronze

Post by bearedman8 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:45 am

I'm looking to swap statements. Send me a PM! :)

earldasquirel

New

Post by earldasquirel » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:37 pm

Looking for a harsh critique for my PS. Its close to a final draft so it is fairly refined and shouldnt need too much revision. Will send via PM, and will also review yours if you'd like :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cieltan

New

Post by cieltan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:24 am

Looking to swap personal statements with other people. PM me if you're interested.

dvc5240

New

Post by dvc5240 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:06 pm

Looking for a harsh critique on my PS.

Message me to swap!

Question12345

New

Post by Question12345 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:28 pm

willing to swap, send a PM. I am trying to tie up my PS so it is nearing probably the last 5 revisions.

paytonalexandra

New

Post by paytonalexandra » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:25 pm

Always willing to trade, PM me :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:48 am

Anyone willing to swap PS for DS? Or DS for DS? My PS is finished already and I would love to hear feedback on my DS and give feedback for your PS/DS! PM me :)

Mr. Freeze

New

Post by Mr. Freeze » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:42 pm

Looking to trade! send me PM and Ill send mine

CaptCarpe

New

Post by CaptCarpe » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:16 pm

I've written two personal statements and am looking for guidance on which one would be better to submit along with feedback. PM me, and I'll be happy to look at yours as well. I'm going to be out of the country starting Monday 11/7, so I'm looking for help and offering for this week.
Thanks!

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Post by SeanORaff33 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:29 am

I have some school specific essays and will be pumping out drafts of PS and DS and Public Interest scholly essays like its my job over the next 10 days. I would be VERY happy to exchange just about anything with anyone so please PM me and lets get working

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

curry4bfast

New

Post by curry4bfast » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Looking for comments on my PS and DS and willing to swap! PM me!

BruiseWillis

Bronze

Post by BruiseWillis » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:24 am

Anybody looking to swap PS, PM me!

nicksjohnson

New

Post by nicksjohnson » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:51 pm

Having some trouble with outgoing PMs, so I posted my PS here. Please feel free to PM or email (nickolas.a.johnson@gmail.com) me with your thoughts and for help. This is a VERY rough draft and having some issue with the general flow. Thanks in advance and I look forwad to working together soon.

I vividly recall proudly paying the well-spent, five dollar entrance fee to see my shy nephew, Etienne (Etti for short), with his newly assembled basketball team playing their first game of the season. In tow, I kept my Economist magazine well-fittingly folded on an article about young Kurds adopting the game of basketball snugly tucked into my left back pocket of my jeans. For a number of years now, the Economist has validated itself to be more than just a faithful subway companion and exceptional read, but it has actually been inspirational through some of the most difficult times of my adult life.

The world-renowned magazine provides concise, yet insightful articles pertaining to economic, societal, political, scientific, and global affairs. In a glimpse, the obituary section of the magazine beautifully marries the meaningful and colorful lives of politicians, athletes, writers, scientists, and even dictators with the intriguing narrative of people like the chemist, Albert Hofmann, and his creation and affection with LSD. These stories still live with me today. One would probably not direct their attention to articles born out of death for wisdom and motivation, but I found tremendously applicable prospection over the years.

Wide-eyed, my best friends and I often dwell in awe at some of the great accomplishers we read about, but we share a fond appreciation for tales we like to refer to as “gems”. Gems are straightforward depictions of seemingly “normal” people that have lead seemingly “normal” lives, but you rapidly learn something about them that leaves you jolted and bewildered. Although not quite Economist worthy, I would like to briefly share a short depiction of how the magazine has helped my nephew and consequently me during the less uplifting times.

Born a homosexual male to two drugs addicted “parents” in a very impoverished, black dominated environment on the west side of Chicago, growing up proved to be extremely difficult. When we were not forced to freely fend for ourselves, my younger sister and I were compelled to live in multiple shelters, long-stay motels, and in the households of several reluctant family members. We often suffered through the inability, due to out parents’ addictions, to afford simple necessities, namely electricity, gas (especially in Chicago winters), and many times, food. Having to wear our neighbor’s passed down clothes and have it regularly announced in front of our entire classes took a backseat to the endless embarrassing situations when our profoundly high and/or inebriated mother or father, while in the company of friends, approached us. Not only did we withstand considerable hurdles, my sister and I learned to strive in tough, volatile environments. We, with a firm declaration, vowed to never subject our children to the tortures and neglect that we ourselves had to endure.

Despite the difficulties and mental, physical, and verbal abuse by my father, I managed to excel in middle and high school. I was determined to be the first person in my entire family to attend and finish college. To the surprise of many of my friends and family members, I worked very hard to gain the knowledge necessary and was able to bring this dream to life. During my sophomore year in university, my life took yet another radical turn. At only seventeen, my little sister was subjected to something no individual should ever have to endure. She was raped. Despite such a terribly heinous, senseless act, she was miraculously able to still find admiration in her stunning, vivacious son, Etienne, as result. As Etti began to grow into a preschooler, my sister was having some difficulties and thought Etienne would be safer and more stable living with me. I was quite hesitant, but I knew just how challenging it was for her to ask, and I could not say no. I would not deviate from our promise. I would not let this kid down.
Now a toddler and under my care, Etienne and I had tons of things to learn about each other. Thankfully, Etienne and I maintained a very close relationship as he grew up, which made his transition a lot less burdensome. With a little help from family and friends, I was able to juggle two, sometimes three jobs. In addition to his health, great emphases were placed on Etienne’s schoolwork and involvement in diverse events and peer activities. With finite funds and time, it was crucial to perform a delicate balancing act between home, two schools, and work. As laborious as life had become, I knew it was for a great cause. In retrospect, as I think about all of the missed opportunities, strain on my social life, and sacrificed my grades for the sake my nephew’s, and if given the choice, I wouldn’t change a thing. In fact, I am a stronger, steadily evolving, and a more diligent person as result.

Now a blossoming teen at thirteen years old, it has been several years since Etienne has returned to an especially stable home and a nurturing family. Inspired by the Economists’ gems, I am now able to clearly understand that it’s what you do in life that makes you a decorated soul in death. Contemplating on the impact that Etti and I have made on each other lives, I can definitely distinguish our “normal” lives, as somewhat “normal” people, using alternative means to living a gem of a story. Today, Etienne and our family manage to uphold strong bonds, transparent relationships and feed the never-ending hunger for knowledge and life. Seeing his steady growth mentally, physically, and emotionally makes me especially proud of Etti, my sister, and myself. Listening to him converse with maturity, watching him lead and maintain endurance in sports like in life, and still display humility and dedication, are just a few traits that we share. With a little guidance from the Economist of course, I look forward to seeing just how Etti and I will emerge into an admirable athlete and honorable lawyer respectively.

tinafeyclone

New

Post by tinafeyclone » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:26 pm

Looking for someone to read over my personal statement! I'll look over yours as well. PM me :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YoungSimba

New

Post by YoungSimba » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Anyone keen for a PS swap today? PM, I can reply within 12 hours.

echonov

New

Post by echonov » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:02 am

Last edited by echonov on Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stephromann1

New

Post by stephromann1 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:10 pm

I would love to receive honest feedback on my personal statement.

For anyone wanting to swap or just give feedback:
sr12s@my.fsu.edu

Thank you in advance!

tinycatfriend

Bronze

Post by tinycatfriend » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:15 pm

Looking to trade - both PS and Yale 250

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”