Small grammar error in PS Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
drlreed

New

Small grammar error in PS

Post by drlreed » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:20 am

So I've sent out my applications to almost all my schools when I notice that I made a small typo in a few places. I used a hyphen to separate a clause in a sentence, when it should have been a dash like, for example, "The sun - big, round, and warm - rose this morning" when it should have been "The sun – big, round, and warm – rose this morning."

I know there's virtually nothing I can do about it at this point, but I'm a crippling ball of anxiety about these apps and my immediate reaction was to assume I would be rejected from every school I applied to. Schools reviewing my app are basically all T14.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being they won't even notice/care, 10 being rejected out of hand) how serious will this be?

drlreed

New

Re: Small grammar error in PS

Post by drlreed » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:22 am

Edit of my example:
drlreed wrote: "The sun - big, round, and warm - rose this morning" when it should have been "The sun -- big, round, and warm -- rose this morning."

MonsterTRM

New

Post by MonsterTRM » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:52 am

IMO, that type of "error" doesn't matter. With different fonts and sizes, the difference among a hyphen, en-dash, and em-dash is not going to make or break you. I doubt anyone will notice.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:43 am

I think you're fine, I didn't even know the differences between the dashes until law school.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Wubbles wrote:I think you're fine, I didn't even know the differences between the dashes until law school.
I still don't know the difference... :shock:

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:34 pm

Doesn't matter at all. No one will care.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”