Personal statement and Diversity statement Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
jbp15860

New

Personal statement and Diversity statement

Post by jbp15860 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:31 pm

I'm applying for the fall 2018 cycle, taking the LSAT in September (and I assume November) so while I'm studying this summer (I'm currently a teacher) I'm going to be working hard on my personal statement and (possibly) a diversity statement. I would like some advice from some of y'all if any one has anything to add.

For my personal statement I am working on two drafts but I'm wondering which is the better angle. I don't like using the word angle, as they're both true and not embellished, but it seems to be the most fitting word. First, I have a statement about my time as a teacher in Title 1 schools in a major inner city and how I have seen first hand students being deported, parents being deported, students being arrested at school for minor violations and being put into the system. It's a 99% Hispanic school. The reason this is important is because it has made me realize that my main interest, serving the community I live in, can't be accomplished in the way I want through teaching middle school history. I love it but I don't feel I'm using what gifts I do have to their full potential and that I could better serve the population I teach, through law, whether that's as a prosecutor, immigration attorney... I can't know that until school, but that's where I'm at. My second idea doesn't take near as much explaining: it's simply about having Tourette's and obsessive compulsive disorder and overcoming that to get a Master's degree, become a teacher, all that stuff. (obviously written more eloquently.)

Concerning a possible diversity statement I also had a couple questions. Sorry about the length of this, as well, but my UGPA is low (3.2) so I really need to make my application as good as possible, so I'm taking the LSAT and statements as seriously as possible. Anyway, I'm Cajun. Born and raised in south Louisiana, raised bilingual with French speaking grandparents and other family, and grew up with a farm, learning to cook from a young age, went to a French speaking school in Louisiana, etc... Now, I'm Cajun, so I'm white, but I'm wondering if that's still "diversity." To me, it is. Technically an ethnic minority in the state of Louisiana, but I'm not applying in Louisiana. Anyway, the way I grew up is very different, even from most people in Louisiana. My second idea, was maybe the Tourette's could be used as a diversity statement? I'm not sure. It's a rare neurological disorder, accompanied several co-morbid disorders, and really shaped the way I grew up, thought, learned, etc... I hate having to think about all this stuff as like gaming the system or something, but I really need to make my application as appealing as possible, so if that means playing into certain strengths then I'll do that. Again, sorry for the length of this and I appreciate those of y'all that are still reading and willing to offer any advice. Thanks.

auntjammema

New

Re: Personal statement and Diversity statement

Post by auntjammema » Thu May 03, 2018 12:17 pm

You should easily be able to work both "angles" into your PS. You talk about being a teacher, how you see kids deported, arrested, have to overcome institutional challenges. Then you have a paragraph about how "I myself was no stranger to challenges growing up-- though mine were of a different variety" and talk about your mental conditions. Then you tie them together, "While my struggle was personal, it nevertheless required support from different people to overcome. I want to serve as part of that support structure for the children I have taught, as they fight through institutional problems of XYZ etc. etc."

Being cajun is definitely worthy of a diversity statement. but its not "look im a minority let me in;" but rather its how being cajun/rural allwos you to see things differently. Make sure you show you are aware of privilege (you can pass as any white person can, police dont follow cajun people around, you arent getting deported), but that your cajun background gives you a unique view.

jbp15860

New

Re: Personal statement and Diversity statement

Post by jbp15860 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:48 am

auntjammema wrote:You should easily be able to work both "angles" into your PS. You talk about being a teacher, how you see kids deported, arrested, have to overcome institutional challenges. Then you have a paragraph about how "I myself was no stranger to challenges growing up-- though mine were of a different variety" and talk about your mental conditions. Then you tie them together, "While my struggle was personal, it nevertheless required support from different people to overcome. I want to serve as part of that support structure for the children I have taught, as they fight through institutional problems of XYZ etc. etc."

Being cajun is definitely worthy of a diversity statement. but its not "look im a minority let me in;" but rather its how being cajun/rural allwos you to see things differently. Make sure you show you are aware of privilege (you can pass as any white person can, police dont follow cajun people around, you arent getting deported), but that your cajun background gives you a unique view.
Thanks. I appreciate your input.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”