Is this too broad?? Missing something, not sure what Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
d1721

New

Is this too broad?? Missing something, not sure what

Post by d1721 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:47 pm

Hi guys!

I'm a hispanic female, immigrant parents, raised by a single mother, graduated from hs at 16 and started college at the same age. Graduated with a 3.62 with honors (double major policial science and philosophy, minor in legal studies), and honors thesis. Took a gap year to work at a firm.

I took the LSAT in Dec and got a 156. I was scoring in the high 160s but got freaked out the night before. Hoping I scored higher this time around, but not sure. After my dec score I received unsolicited waivers from UPenn, Michigan, UVA, Vanderbilt, BU, Boston College, William & Mary. Applying to all of those, but also applying to Notre Dame, GW, Fordham, and my dream school, Georgetown.

Do you guys think I have decent chance of getting into any of those??? Honestly, super worried with it being this late in the cycle, but I feel like I have good softs.

Also, I have 0 idea how to send PM through this so if you ask me to PM anything, sorry I suck! lol

Heres my PS:

"Just jump! You'll only learn by jumping in!" That is what my father yelled from the inside of the pool every weekend he tried to teach me how to swim. As you can tell, it was a very hands-off approach. He believed that the best way for me to learn how to swim was by just jumping into the pool and flailing my arms and legs as best as possible to keep myself afloat.
I loved the water, but I had always been afraid to do more than just sit on the edge of the pool. After a couple of years, and many long weekend days of sitting on the edge I finally threw myself into the pool. After I watched the air bubbles rise to the surface from the bottom of the pool I remember thinking how crazy it was for me to actually jump into the pool. Then I remembered those long hours I spent at the edge of the pool practicing the motions of swimming; the hand movements, the arm movements, the leg movements. I rose to the top and inhaled the biggest breath my 8-year-old lungs could take in.
After starting college at 16 years old I was so unsure of myself and what I was capable of when I was sitting in classes with people that were many years older than me. At the beginning of my freshman year I remember thinking that I had made a huge mistake by graduating from high school and moving away from home at such a young age. I had grown up in a modest, single parent household and as the daughter of two immigrants, I felt like I was in over my head.
However, during the fall semester of my freshman year I had my first taste of philosophy in an introductory class with a professor who worked as a human rights attorney for the United Nations. In our class we discussed the ethics of mass incarceration, human rights violations and non-democratic countries and policies. Once I had finished taking the prerequisites for my political science classes I decided that I would take classes about foreign governments and processes, human rights policy, international relations, and other topics related to what I had discussed in my philosophy class. Despite taking classes about government and debating policies within my political science major I was still interested in what philosophy had to offer, so I added philosophy as my second major. In my philosophy classes we discussed many arguments that came from a combination of philosophers from ancient times to modern times who wrote about what made up the physical world, what made humans truly good, civil rights, women's rights, etc. Through philosophy I was able to analyze and critically examine various philosopher's theories and arguments, which I could then apply to political theories.
The summer before my senior year I combined what I had learned from both of my majors to tackle a political issue, inequality in education, by examining two contrasting philosophical theories from John Rawls and Robert Nozick. Being able to engage in independent research and get hands-on experience with philosophy and history professors at my university truly helped me discover my passion in finding ways to approach problems in our country. As I walked out of my thesis defense a couple months before my graduation I realized that my years in college had been similar to the moment at the pool. Just when I thought I was sinking, I swam. When I had just started college, I thought it was a monumental mistake, but as my graduation approached I realized that my resiliency and determination to succeed is what allowed me to be successful.
Today, I feel that the activities and classes I participated in have given me the foundational tools I need to learn how to navigate law school and has shown me that even in my early twenties I can begin a discussion on problems that occur in our society. Although there are many motivated and qualified candidates applying to law schools this year. I believe that the most successful students will be the ones that show resiliency, determination and an interdisciplinary perspective and approach to the legal profession. I believe that my unique personal experiences, diverse background, strong academic record, and leadership roles throughout college will be an asset in the educational environment at XXX and to the legal profession as a whole.

Yulifus

New

Re: Is this too broad?? Missing something, not sure what

Post by Yulifus » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:05 pm

I would talk more about why you want to study law and why you want to go to XXX law school.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”