Submitting Why X essay in place of Northwestern interview? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
cashinapig

New

Submitting Why X essay in place of Northwestern interview?

Post by cashinapig » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:07 am

Hi all,

I'm out of the country where computer and connectivity issues have prevented me from successfully doing the online video interview for Northwestern (for example, today half of the neighborhood is without power; electric surges are a common problem here and not a huge deal, but enough to prevent me from completing the interviews). It's nothing serious since it's optional and I emailed them explaining the circumstances and told them to move ahead with my file without the interview. I reinforced my interest in the school for the same reasons I would have said in the interview. I also said I'd be happy to answer interview questions in another format, so it wouldn't seem like I was just trying to avoid it.

This doesn't seem to be a problem from the research I've done, but NW responded and said I could submit an addendum explaining the circumstances as to why I couldn't do the interview. I'm a little confused because in my email to them I'd already explained why, and it doesn't need a big explanation. Can I submit a why NW blurb in response to that? I feel like going into detail about the unstable infrastructure and technology where I am is a really silly over-the-top response.

TripleM

Bronze

Re: Submitting Why X essay in place of Northwestern interview?

Post by TripleM » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:43 pm

In my experience the NU admissions folks have been great. I'd assume that she suggested the addendum for a reason. Perhaps she wants to make sure the information is available to the folks who will actually review you application (she may not be one of those folks). I can't imagine you'd hurt yourself by expressing in a few words what pro-NU sentiment you would have expressed had you been able to complete the application.

Are you a URM by any chance? If so, message me.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”