Resumes for Non-KJD Applicants

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
JessiCAL

Resumes for Non-KJD Applicants

Postby JessiCAL » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi,

I'm a nontraditional candidate (STEM PhD), and I'm wondering how imperative it is to stick to 1 page for the resume. I can get my resume down to 1 page, but I'd have to remove things like my publications and cut down on the descriptions (bulletpoints) for a couple other things.

For applicants with this kind of background, how important is it to include things like a list of publications and/or detailed descriptions of research + teaching experience, etc.? Also, if I have more than 1 page, should I aim to make it 2 complete pages as opposed to a partially-filled 2nd page?

TIA for any advice.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Resumes for Non-KJD Applicants

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:38 pm

I applied with a PhD and used a version of my 5-page c.v. It was totally fine - you don't have to stick to one page (unless of course a school imposes that specific limit), and I don't think a full page versus a partially-filled page will matter. Personally, I think it was useful to include publications and descriptions of research, although I probably err on the side of over-comprehensiveness.

sev

Re: Resumes for Non-KJD Applicants

Postby sev » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:16 pm

JessiCAL wrote:Hi,

I'm a nontraditional candidate (STEM PhD), and I'm wondering how imperative it is to stick to 1 page for the resume. I can get my resume down to 1 page, but I'd have to remove things like my publications and cut down on the descriptions (bulletpoints) for a couple other things.

For applicants with this kind of background, how important is it to include things like a list of publications and/or detailed descriptions of research + teaching experience, etc.? Also, if I have more than 1 page, should I aim to make it 2 complete pages as opposed to a partially-filled 2nd page?

TIA for any advice.

I think 2 pages is the norm. Harvard has at least one two-page example resume if I remember correctly, and the law schools that I've heard talk about this all suggest erring on the side of length.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”