Personal statement for the next cycle Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Personal statement for the next cycle

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:26 pm

Hey so I just decided that I won't be applying for this cycle but for the next one. I'm still in undergrad so I still have an advantage in having resources around me like a writing tutor. My question is that is it too early for me to work on my personal statement.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Personal statement for the next cycle

Post by UVA2B » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:31 pm

Yes it's too early, because when you apply three or more years from now, you'll have much more interesting things to say.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:34 pm

The thing is that I am currently in my senior year of school and want to apply for next year

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The thing is that I am currently in my senior year of school and want to apply for next year
I stand by what I said. You should wait at minimum 2-3 years before applying to law school. You'd be much better served by finding a job that interests you for a couple years while possibly entertaining law school if the path you're on doesn't interest you long-term. I fail to imagine a single compelling reason why you have to apply straight out of UG.

To answer your question more directly: you don't need the support structure at your UG to craft a strong application. In fact, most of that support structure can be counterproductive to crafting a strong application because the people helping you have never applied to law school in most cases. But you found a community on TLS that is willing to tell you fairly, albeit somewhat bluntly, what you probably need to hear. Once you write your PS or any other part of your application materials, you can find people willing to help you from pretty much every elite law school in the country. That's an invaluable resource, and it comes free because we see the inherent value in having a place like TLS online that is willing to help.

I really hope you hear what I'm saying and why I'm saying it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”