Politics vs. job at a nonprofit org? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
frenchlavender

New

Politics vs. job at a nonprofit org?

Post by frenchlavender » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:12 am

a little background: I grew up in the Philippines my whole life but recently moved to America and became an immigrant.

I was thinking of using Duterte (the controversial new Filipino president) as a topic but focus on my view as a future law student and as a woman regarding his Presidency.

PS. for those who don't know Duterte that much, he's sexist and objectifies women, he used to run a death squad and is know for his "war on drugs" which basically means you die on the spot when they find out that you: a) use drugs b) sell drugs.

OR I could write about my nonprofit organization job. I work in the fundraising department for a hospice that provides free healthcare to people with limited or no insurance.

Thoughts? Is the duterte thing too political? should I write about my nonprofit work instead?

Also, for those of you who are Duterte supporters, you can ignore this post 8)

cavalier1138

Re: Politics vs. job at a nonprofit org?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:13 am

Either one is fine. You won't find any rabid Duterte supporters in admissions departments.

frenchlavender

New

Post by frenchlavender » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:22 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Either one is fine. You won't find any rabid Duterte supporters in admissions departments.
Would you, personally, be more inclined to read about the Duterte or the nonprofit work topic? :)

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:29 am

frenchlavender wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Either one is fine. You won't find any rabid Duterte supporters in admissions departments.
Would you, personally, be more inclined to read about the Duterte or the nonprofit work topic? :)
It really depends on how you engage with the topic. If you have a personal connection to suffering under or resisting Duterte, then it's probably the more interesting topic. But you need to make sure your personal statement is personal. So a general screed against Duterte's regime may be interesting, but it's not a good PS.

frenchlavender

New

Post by frenchlavender » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:35 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
frenchlavender wrote:
It really depends on how you engage with the topic. If you have a personal connection to suffering under or resisting Duterte, then it's probably the more interesting topic. But you need to make sure your personal statement is personal. So a general screed against Duterte's regime may be interesting, but it's not a good PS.
Hi, thanks for all your response. Is it ok if I PM you instead? :) Pleaseeeee :D

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:49 am

frenchlavender wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
frenchlavender wrote:
Hi, thanks for all your response. Is it ok if I PM you instead? :) Pleaseeeee :D
Sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”