Is immigration too sensitive of a topic? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
frenchlavender

New

Is immigration too sensitive of a topic?

Post by frenchlavender » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:31 am

I'm an immigrant and I want to be an immigration lawyer so I want to highlight that part of my life. I was thinking of talking about some difficult realities that I had to face especially because of the most recent elections. It's not about illegal immigration but the experiences and changes in lifestyles immigrants in general, including myself, (documented or not) had to go through and how it shaped and inspired me to become an immigration attorney.

Is this too political? I don't want to offend anyone so please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

albanach

Gold

Re: Is immigration too sensitive of a topic?

Post by albanach » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:04 pm

frenchlavender wrote:I'm an immigrant and I want to be an immigration lawyer so I want to highlight that part of my life. I was thinking of talking about some difficult realities that I had to face especially because of the most recent elections. It's not about illegal immigration but the experiences and changes in lifestyles immigrants in general, including myself, (documented or not) had to go through and how it shaped and inspired me to become an immigration attorney.

Is this too political? I don't want to offend anyone so please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Done properly, it's not too political. You could, however, use your immigrant essay as a diversity statement.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”