Help deciding between personal statement topics

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
sonnyboy

Help deciding between personal statement topics

Postby sonnyboy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:25 pm

As the title states, trying to decide between two topics. One is about me being gay and dealing with my partner's family. He was married to a woman before we met and was in the process of getting a divorce when we started dating. He came out to his family after we started dating. His family was obviously shocked and reacted with some not so great things. I had never dealt with homophobia before but since I loved the dude I couldn't just stick two middle fingers in the air and call it quits. So I learned how to talk to them and not hate them. I also helped him through the divorce process (sitting in on lawyer meetings, the whole nine yards). This experience also relates to why I want to practice family law. I like to think it shows some maturity and empathy on my part, but I don't want to shock the adcomms. Or come off like an asshole.

My other personal statement could be about my current employment, which is in the career office for a law school. This would be a lot more cut and dried (safe but boring in my opinion) but could show that I know what I am getting in to with this whole law school thing. My job is all about working with employers and law students so I know the field and the market. I know it's a shitty three years and what types of opportunities are out there afterwards. I'm no K-JD.

/should I play the diversity card in the PS or save it for the Diversity Statement?

cavalier1138

Re: Help deciding between personal statement topics

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:35 pm

First topic sounds much more interesting. The only thing I'd add is that you may not need a DS if it's just going to restate your PS.

sillymints7962

Re: Help deciding between personal statement topics

Postby sillymints7962 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:57 pm

I feel like your current employment would be well stated enough by your resume. First topic all the way.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”