Yale 250 idea

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Yale 250 idea

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:44 am

Please tell me why this is a terrible idea:

Be me. Be taking the digital pilot LSAT back in May. The night before, go to the Chainsmokers show. By random chance at the show, strike up a conversation with the approx 40yr old couple sitting next to you. They ask why you're there (4 hours away from your current home/work place) tell them for the LSAT practice the next morning. They ask what you want to do/where you want to go. Talk a little more. They mention they were the sorority big for a girl named Asha that went to LS/FBI/etc. *commence mental freakout* show them picture of Dean Asha. They confirm it's her. All of a sudden you're sitting next to a very good friend/sorority sister/classmate of the Dean of admissions.

My numbers give me an outside chance of admission. Should I write about this random chance encounter? I think I've landed on 'it could be awesome if done right, but would probably seem monumentally creepy if done wrong'.
Last edited by Future Ex-Engineer on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MrAdultman
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:18 pm

Re: Yale 250 idea

Postby MrAdultman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:50 am

If it's masterfully done, it might be ok. My biggest concern is that, if it isn't absolutely beautifully written, it's going to sound like you're asking for some strange kind of 3rd-degree nepotism.

User avatar
hopefuljumbo23
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:15 pm

Re: Yale 250 idea

Postby hopefuljumbo23 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:05 am

MrAdultman wrote:If it's masterfully done, it might be ok. My biggest concern is that, if it isn't absolutely beautifully written, it's going to sound like you're asking for some strange kind of 3rd-degree nepotism.


Yeah, this is my take too, for what it's worth. Be careful. You don't want to sound like you are seeking admission just because you met the dean's sorority sister.

I'd suggest taking a few days to try and write this out. Share it with someone - make it sound serendipitous without sounding silly. Tbh, even if done REALLY well, it might sound immature to be like "omgah fate," you know?

TLSDookie
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Yale 250 idea

Postby TLSDookie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:51 am

Agree with what's been written. Aside from that, going to a chainsmokers concert the night before suggests you didn't take the pilot LSAT/going to law school seriously at all, and possibly even drug use.

User avatar
Pozzo
Posts: 1830
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: Yale 250 idea

Postby Pozzo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Not to mention, you'd be admitting that you like Chainsmokers, which seriously calls into question your judgment. Not a good look, FEE.

User avatar
OakBrook2021
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:30 pm

Re: Yale 250 idea

Postby OakBrook2021 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Pozzo wrote:you'd be admitting that you like Chainsmokers, which seriously calls into question your judgment


lol RT. On a serious note, my $.02 are that writing about a random encounter with someone who knew Dean Asha doesn't make for a standout 250. Then again, if I knew what did make a standout 250 I'd have mine done

User avatar
twiix
Posts: 844
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: Yale 250 idea

Postby twiix » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:51 am

OakBrook2021 wrote:
Pozzo wrote:you'd be admitting that you like Chainsmokers, which seriously calls into question your judgment


lol RT. On a serious note, my $.02 are that writing about a random encounter with someone who knew Dean Asha doesn't make for a standout 250. Then again, if I knew what did make a standout 250 I'd have mine done


In OP's defense, the Chainsmokers live shows are nothing like their radio hits. They really embody the traditional EDM/Progressive House sound when they play live (maybe outside of the big music festivals, where the fans are expecting the indie-pop sound). WHen I saw them in 2016 it was a phenomenal experience, but this was also before the likes of Closer and Paris hit the charts.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Yale 250 idea

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:39 am

TLSDookie wrote:Agree with what's been written. Aside from that, going to a chainsmokers concert the night before suggests you didn't take the pilot LSAT/going to law school seriously at all, and possibly even drug use.


While I also agree with most of what's been written, I definitely don't agree with the bolded. Sure it may mean I didn't take the pilot at 100% capacity, but the administrators treated it like an f'ing joke, and they didn't even know the rules/regulations (or that we were supposed to get score reports from it), and on top of that, signups made it sound like it was going to be an unreleased test, not a re-run of PT 73 with PT 74s RC section as the experimental.

I hardly think not being 100% the morning of the *voluntary* pilot lsat has any bearing on my 'seriousness' to go to law school. Are we now equating enjoying EDM to not being serious enough about life to attend law school? get out of here with that kind of logical jump.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Yale 250 idea

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:41 am

twiix wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:
Pozzo wrote:you'd be admitting that you like Chainsmokers, which seriously calls into question your judgment


lol RT. On a serious note, my $.02 are that writing about a random encounter with someone who knew Dean Asha doesn't make for a standout 250. Then again, if I knew what did make a standout 250 I'd have mine done


In OP's defense, the Chainsmokers live shows are nothing like their radio hits. They really embody the traditional EDM/Progressive House sound when they play live (maybe outside of the big music festivals, where the fans are expecting the indie-pop sound). WHen I saw them in 2016 it was a phenomenal experience, but this was also before the likes of Closer and Paris hit the charts.


1) Fair Pozzo, I can't imagine most adcoms know/care to know the Chainsmokers, but it was a dope-ass show.

2) Also agree it doesn't seem on the surface to be a standout, but I have no idea what to write anyway, so generally tossing out all the ideas that come into my head to see if any stick.

Davidpuddy
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:37 am

Re: Yale 250 idea

Postby Davidpuddy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:52 am

It's an interesting story, I don't think it's a great topic though. I think you can come off as appealing to some second or third hand nepotism. It's interesting because of the chance of it but it doesn't lead to some big payoff, like "it was a one in a million chance, but I ended up backstage in a private viewing area with Ruth Bader Ginsberg". You just met a friend of the dean of admissions.




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.