Advice on Diversity Statement Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Kmr89

New

Advice on Diversity Statement

Post by Kmr89 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:31 pm

Hello! I would love some feedback on what you think would be a better diversity statement topic to write about.
1. Being a first generation college student and now law school student. I come from a Hispanic background and wanted to write about how this has affected my life experiences.
2. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 8 and wrote about my experience living with diabetes. It's in no way a sob story at all. More about how I've been able to find the positives.

Any feedback would be appreciated!! :D

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Advice on Diversity Statement

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:40 pm

This might not be initially intuitive, but the DS isn't about what the reader thinks will be the better topic. It's designed to be a statement that shows you can/will bring a diverse voice to a law school classroom and the legal profession more generally. So you should think of it this way: what can I write about that paints the rest of my application in a way that provides a diverse dimension to it. If you think your status as a first generation college student and Hispanic background informs more about you as an applicant, write about that in an impactful way that brings your diversity to life. If your medical condition informs how you see things differently in a positive light, then use that. But what's most important is this constant reminder: your PS, DS, LORs, resume, and anything else that isn't uGPA/LSAT should emphasize why you're a strong candidate for law school and the legal profession. Without hiring an admissions consultant (or alternatively asking a TLS user to look at all of your materials as a second set of eyes), no one can help you in picking the better topic for you because we don't know what matters more for your perspective.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”