Idea for personal statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
mmart207

Idea for personal statement

Postby mmart207 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Hey everyone! I've been scrolling through these forums for quite some time now, especially on threads regarding LSAT preparation as well as cycle threads for URMs, given that I am half Mexican and half Puerto Rican. I guess my general question would be: how "personal" can I really get in my personal statement? I've been living in the city of Chicago for my complete 21 years of life thus far, and I'm sure just about everyone is familiar with the adversities that come with living in a city that suffers from outrageous waves of violence and homicides, especially in the rougher, lower socio-economic areas, one of which is where I reside in. To be brief, during the middle of the spring semester of my junior year of UG (this past April), I was shot in the chest when I was on my way home from work. I took the incident very hard, and spent a lot of time replaying it in my head, wondering what I could have done differently to avoid the situation as a whole. I really pondered on how I have spent my entire life focusing on work, school, and my family in an effort to separate myself from the violence that plagues my area and my city as a whole, and how even my best efforts to "stay on the right path" were not enough to keep me from becoming a victim and another statistic of the violence in my city, especially from the standpoint of a person of color. After a few rough weeks, while still in the middle of the semester, I used my pain and confusion as motivation. I realized that although I came close to becoming another statistic, I have worked so hard to get to where I currently am and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I used the incident as motivation to prove that a person of color from the city of Chicago, particularly one of the worst neighborhoods in the city altogether, can strive past the adversities and accomplish their true potential. I was thinking about writing about the experience and how it has shaped my life and way of thinking as my personal statement, and I'd appreciate any feedback on whether it would make an appropriate topic? Thanks for reading and answering!

lucretius_

Re: Idea for personal statement

Postby lucretius_ » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:07 pm

This kind of story is what personal statements are made for. Here are the next steps:

1) Use this story.
2) Emphasize the actions you've taken that make you the person you are today.
3) Profit.

Sploshy

Postby Sploshy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:10 pm

It is truly unfortunate that you had to go through this, but the silver lining is that you can create a very emotionally impactful statement. Good luck, and I hope that you do well.

zkyggi

Postby zkyggi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:35 am

You have a story that will make a killer PS if it is well-written. This post is written pretty poorly, so I would get to work soon so you can go through extensive edits. Depending on your numbers, there is certainly the potential for a life-changing cycle.

mmart207

Postby mmart207 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:50 am

zkyggi wrote:You have a story that will make a killer PS if it is well-written. This post is written pretty poorly, so I would get to work soon so you can go through extensive edits. Depending on your numbers, there is certainly the potential for a life-changing cycle.

I'm actually a pretty good writer, but on a forum like this I wasn't really trying to write eloquently as much as I was just trying to get the gist of the situation down so I could get some feedback on the topic as a whole. As far as my numbers go, I have yet to take the LSAT (registered for this upcoming September), but my LSAC GPA is a 3.69 so I'm hoping that if I can get at least a 160 on the LSAT I should be a pretty strong candidate. Thank you for the input!

kellyfrost
Corn Crown Contender

Postby kellyfrost » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:06 am

zkyggi wrote:You have a story that will make a killer PS if it is well-written. This post is written pretty poorly, so I would get to work soon so you can go through extensive edits. Depending on your numbers, there is certainly the potential for a life-changing cycle.

I don't think OP was going to copy and paste from this forum, into Microsoft Word and then save the document as his personal statement. Thanks for the tip though, pal!

zkyggi

Postby zkyggi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:05 am

mmart207 wrote:

I'm actually a pretty good writer, but on a forum like this I wasn't really trying to write eloquently as much as I was just trying to get the gist of the situation down so I could get some feedback on the topic as a whole. As far as my numbers go, I have yet to take the LSAT (registered for this upcoming September), but my LSAC GPA is a 3.69 so I'm hoping that if I can get at least a 160 on the LSAT I should be a pretty strong candidate. Thank you for the input!

You are in good shape. A 170 would be like a golden ticket.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”