PS Dyslexic Student

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
TonyStark

PS Dyslexic Student

Postby TonyStark » Mon May 08, 2017 4:51 pm

Hello TLS community. I have a question regarding the disclosure of a learning disability on my personal statement. In high school, I had pretty horrible grades which eventually lead me to be tested and diagnosed with Dyslexia. Since then I have turned things around, graduated with 3.6 in engineering from a respected public school last spring and I am looking into doing Patent Law. I plan to focus my PS on my creativity, resiliency, and ability to succeed with this disability. This leads me to my question. As bad as it sounds, does anyone believe an admissions counselor could look at the disability in a negative light?

B90

Re: PS Dyslexic Student

Postby B90 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:49 pm

TonyStark wrote:Hello TLS community. I have a question regarding the disclosure of a learning disability on my personal statement. In high school, I had pretty horrible grades which eventually lead me to be tested and diagnosed with Dyslexia. Since then I have turned things around, graduated with 3.6 in engineering from a respected public school last spring and I am looking into doing Patent Law. I plan to focus my PS on my creativity, resiliency, and ability to succeed with this disability. This leads me to my question. As bad as it sounds, does anyone believe an admissions counselor could look at the disability in a negative light?

Of course. And some will.
However, the ADA and the fourteenth amendment require them not to.
The more important question to ask is, will they be able to force themselves to be objective.
Answer, it depends on how YOU spin it. That is literally the purpose of a PS. :wink:

Npret

Postby Npret » Mon May 08, 2017 5:51 pm

TonyStark wrote:Hello TLS community. I have a question regarding the disclosure of a learning disability on my personal statement. In high school, I had pretty horrible grades which eventually lead me to be tested and diagnosed with Dyslexia. Since then I have turned things around, graduated with 3.6 in engineering from a respected public school last spring and I am looking into doing Patent Law. I plan to focus my PS on my creativity, resiliency, and ability to succeed with this disability. This leads me to my question. As bad as it sounds, does anyone believe an admissions counselor could look at the disability in a negative light?

What are your other topics?
Yes, I think it's possible people may see this in a negative light.
Also, what kind of engineering?

TonyStark

Postby TonyStark » Tue May 09, 2017 12:08 am

Npret wrote:

What are your other topics?
Yes, I think it's possible people may see this in a negative light.
Also, what kind of engineering?

At the moment, I do not have many other ideas for topics. And, industrial engineering.

Npret

Postby Npret » Tue May 09, 2017 12:20 am

Ok well give it a shot. Didn't mean to shut down any creativity on your part.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:30 am

I actually don't think dyslexia will play negatively in a PS, although I'd save it for an addendum if you can find a better topic. Dyslexia doesn't have the negative associations that things like anxiety or depression do. It's not considered a mental illness, and it's clearly something you've been able to figure out and work around.

I really wouldn't see it working against you any more than I would see a heart condition, etc. working against you.

mightaswell

Postby mightaswell » Fri May 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Hey there. I was (am?) in the exact same position as you. I wrote about my journey overcoming dyslexia and how that influenced my decision to go into law. I got into every school I applied to (with the exception of a waitlist). Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”