Engineer's Personal Statement Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anabil

New

Engineer's Personal Statement

Post by Anabil » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:27 pm

Last edited by Anabil on Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arroznueve

New

Re: Engineer's Personal Statement

Post by arroznueve » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:13 pm

Don't lie in your personal statement. If patent law isn't why you are going to law school, don't talk about patent law.

Law school admissions folks aren't going to stop you from trying to make a hard career change. If you've thought about it, and you accept that it won't be easy (social Justice Law jobs, for example, are very, very hard to get without a résumé geared toward social justice—employers have a lot of skepticism toward anyone else, and that's likely based on experience of hiring career change people who realize it's much more draining, occasionally hopeless work than they thought), and you have made a rational decision about what you'd do in the alternative, then that's all on you.

Just don't lie because you think it'll help you get in. I wrote a career change personal statement. I accomplished what I wanted to and received money I never expected to get. I just also failed at making the career change and ended up doing the kind of law most closely associated with my pre-law background. So, the same may go for you; know what you're doing, because law school admissions won't tell you not to do it.

Finally, I don't know your full background, but I hope you have some credible experiences in what you want to do, or ways to connect what you do to what you want to do even if it may not be obvious. Otherwise, your statement will be a soup of clichés.

Good luck!

galeatus

Silver

Re: Engineer's Personal Statement

Post by galeatus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:39 am

I don't want them to think that I'm going back because I didn't succeed in my current field. (I work for a fortune 10 firm and have been promoted twice in the past four years so my future is bright there).
I don't think you should worry too much, you resume will speak for itself. As arroznueve said, they won't stop you from trying to make a hard career change, and you have a fairly compelling and well thought out argument, which will actually make you stand out more because you're not just going down the path of least resistance into patent law.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”