PAGE LIMIT

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
tracy9524

New

PAGE LIMIT

Postby tracy9524 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:39 am

I have gathered that conventionally the page limit is 2-page double spaced. I am just wondering if I can go like half a page longer if it is really necessary.
Thanks!

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Re: PAGE LIMIT

Postby The_Pluviophile » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:53 am

In my experience, this is school specific. Some have strict 2 page limits, others give a range (something like 1 to 3 pages). My suggestion, therefore, is to look at the specific requirements for each school and ensure you're adhering to them. A 2 page statement is very likely to meet the requirements for all schools, so it's a safe bet. If the schools you're applying to have a wider range, feel free to expand. But, if a school says max two pages, I would definitely not go beyond that. You don't want them to think you can't read/follow directions. Hope this helps!

RictusErectus

Bronze

Postby RictusErectus » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:34 am

tracy9524 wrote:I have gathered that conventionally the page limit is 2-page double spaced. I am just wondering if I can go like half a page longer if it is really necessary.
Thanks!

You could also play around a bit with fonts and font sizes. When I changed my personal statement from Times New Roman 12-pt to Garamond 12-pt, it went from 2.5 pages to 2 pages and a couple of lines. Plus, I think Garamond is a neater and more elegant serif typeface.

Christinabruin

Bronze

Postby Christinabruin » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:43 am

RictusErectus wrote:
tracy9524 wrote:I have gathered that conventionally the page limit is 2-page double spaced. I am just wondering if I can go like half a page longer if it is really necessary.
Thanks!

You could also play around a bit with fonts and font sizes. When I changed my personal statement from Times New Roman 12-pt to Garamond 12-pt, it went from 2.5 pages to 2 pages and a couple of lines. Plus, I think Garamond is a neater and more elegant serif typeface.

I LOVE Garamond! Not just because it makes the words fit better but I also love its simpler elegance. I used it as my font (pt 12) for my resume, PS, DS, Why X, etc. (just make sure everything is the same font and size) and got into a couple T14 schools so far so at least that means the adcomms don't hate Garamond lol

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:43 am

Thanks!

You almost certainly can cut it to two pages. Follow directions.

RictusErectus

Bronze

Postby RictusErectus » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:52 pm

Christinabruin wrote:
RictusErectus wrote:
Thanks!

I LOVE Garamond! Not just because it makes the words fit better but I also love its simpler elegance. I used it as my font (pt 12) for my resume, PS, DS, Why X, etc. (just make sure everything is the same font and size) and got into a couple T14 schools so far so at least that means the adcomms don't hate Garamond lol

Same here! My resume, PS, academic addendum, and Why X essays were all written in Garamond. It's just such a pretty font.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Postby KissMyAxe » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:19 pm

I think the whole font snob thing is ridiculous, but it's true you have leeway there. You could also go to 11, since it's readable. I wouldn't go any further. And definitely do not mess with the margins. However, I'm of the opinion that personal statements can always be 2 pages or shorter, and I doubt you're so interesting that's the shortest it can be. Before messing with font, edit your statement down, because I guarantee there's a lot of filler. It will strengthen your essay as well.

And to answer your main question, absolutely not. If a school says 2 pages, I really wouldn't ignore their limit and submit 2 1/2.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:20 pm

If you can cut down a personal statement, you will most definitely struggle writing briefs as a 1L.

Just watch your wordiness, rethink your sentences, etc. You can say what you want to say in 500 words.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�