Mentioning specific names in a PS

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
rzaberto

New

Mentioning specific names in a PS

Postby rzaberto » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:59 pm

Quick question that I'm hoping someone will be able to provide guidance on. I'm writing a personal statement about a very specific experience I had with the local Supreme Court. I feel that while I'm telling my story, it would be more genuine and effective if I referred to specific Court personnel by name.

Is there anything wrong with doing that?

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Mentioning specific names in a PS

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:44 pm

I'm guessing you're in New York, because I don't know of any other jurisdictions with local Supreme Courts (in case anyone's confused, the lowest level of the NY state court system is called the Supreme Court of [insert area here]).

Without more details, it's impossible to say for sure, but I'd lean towards not naming specific court personnel, especially if this was related to any kind of trial. But since you're being extremely vague, that's just my best guess about how you should deal with it. But the names are superfluous to whatever experience you're writing about (which may or may not be a good idea in the first place... again, vague).

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:04 pm

I personally only referred to people by their first names on my PS. I know others who made up pseudonyms and had an asterisk at the bottom saying "Name changed to protect identity."

Either way, I don't think it's a big deal.

rzaberto

New

Postby rzaberto » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:27 pm

That's correct, I'm in New York.

I'm a paralegal of 7 years who has worked at a few different Creditors rights firms. I'm writing about my experience working with the Nassau County Supreme Court to help develop and implement the "Foreclosure Inquest Program" which offered foreclosing Plaintiff's an expedited alternative to the standard several year process.

You're obviously very knowledgeable - would you be willing to take a look at what I have so far and provide me with your input?

Thank you!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements?