How to demonstrate interest in school in PS / international student

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
nathjf

New

How to demonstrate interest in school in PS / international student

Postby nathjf » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how exactly I'm supposed to demonstrate my interest in the school I'm applying to in my PS.

The only school I'm applying to is Emory. I already graduated from law school in France and they offer an accelerated JD program (in 2 years) for foreign-trained lawyers. Also both my sisters live in Atlanta, I know the city well and I would like to work there after I graduate. So for me it's a no-brainer. Besides they have a transactional law program that really interests me and would complement well my work experience.

How can I convince them of my interest without taking too much space in my PS? Should I mention that I have family in ATL? Or should I stick to the academic appeal of their program?

Finally, am I supposed to justify why I decided to pursue a JD in the US specifically, when I'm already a lawyer in France and currently work in Brazil? I'm having trouble keeping a cohesive narrative... I'm afraid it might look like I'm all over the place.

Thank you!

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Re: How to demonstrate interest in school in PS / international student

Postby Mr. Archer » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:29 am

I can't remember if Emory gives the option of writing a "Why Emory" essay, so I'll give advice assuming that's not an option. Your situation is a little different than a typical PS. You can write the PS about your topic (I assume it's the one you described in a different thread) and include information about "why Emory" in the last paragraph. This could just be a tie-in about your interest in a certain part of the law and how you believe the transactions law program will help you/how Emory will help you practice in Atlanta/the importance of family and being able to live near your sisters all making Emory the perfect school. I wouldn't spend more than 4 to 5 sentences on this information. Because you're applying for the accelerated JD, I don't think you have to explain why you want to practice in the US specifically. Emory won't really care. Plus, saying you want to practice in Atlanta already covers that.

nathjf

New

Postby nathjf » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:15 pm

Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it!

Emory doesn't give the option to write a "Why Emory" essay so your advice was really helpful. I will soon post again for some feedback on my final PS! It's been quite challenging to write it down so I hope it will turn out fine.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:53 pm

Maybe you should call the school and ask if you can write a Why Emory? If it's the only school you're applying to, then you really need to do your best to get in. If your numbers are close to or above both 75%, you should be okay, but if not that makes it all the more important.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Postby Mr. Archer » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:18 pm

nathjf wrote:Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it!

Emory doesn't give the option to write a "Why Emory" essay so your advice was really helpful. I will soon post again for some feedback on my final PS! It's been quite challenging to write it down so I hope it will turn out fine.

After checking the accelerated JD info from Emory, you should include more about "why Emory" than I indicated earlier. I didn't realize how different the application was from the regular JD. Sorry about that. The website says the application requires a "Personal statement describing your objective in pursuing a JD degree from Emory Law. Please include any experiences, qualifications, or other information you believe to be relevant." It sounds like this is almost a "why Emory" PS. I think you can still tell your personal narrative, but just make sure to hit on these areas. It sounds like you will touch on them by discussing getting your degree and then working for your family as counsel. Maybe you will just need to adjust the framework of how you tell your story so that it's presented as why you want to attend Emory specifically, instead of saving all of that at the end like I suggested.

nathjf

New

Postby nathjf » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:18 pm

Mr. Archer wrote:After checking the accelerated JD info from Emory, you should include more about "why Emory" than I indicated earlier. I didn't realize how different the application was from the regular JD. Sorry about that. The website says the application requires a "Personal statement describing your objective in pursuing a JD degree from Emory Law. Please include any experiences, qualifications, or other information you believe to be relevant." It sounds like this is almost a "why Emory" PS. I think you can still tell your personal narrative, but just make sure to hit on these areas. It sounds like you will touch on them by discussing getting your degree and then working for your family as counsel. Maybe you will just need to adjust the framework of how you tell your story so that it's presented as why you want to attend Emory specifically, instead of saving all of that at the end like I suggested.

Thank you again for your help, it's so kind of you to check out Emory's website just to get more info on the AJD program!

What you mentioned is one of the reasons why I'm having a hard time finishing my PS. Other than their website, I can't find any additional info on their AJD program or application process. I got a few questions answered by their admissions office, but I haven't found a single post on TLS (or anywhere else) about this program specifically. However I do believe it's the best fit for me - it's a good school, I'm interested in several activities they offer, it's a two-year program, they don't require LSAT scores (in Brazil the LSAT is administered once a year, in Sept/Oct, which I missed).

I'll keep working on the framework as you said and post a final draft for some feedback. Thanks!

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Postby Mr. Archer » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:58 pm

nathjf wrote:
Mr. Archer wrote:
Thank you again for your help, it's so kind of you to check out Emory's website just to get more info on the AJD program!

What you mentioned is one of the reasons why I'm having a hard time finishing my PS. Other than their website, I can't find any additional info on their AJD program or application process. I got a few questions answered by their admissions office, but I haven't found a single post on TLS (or anywhere else) about this program specifically. However I do believe it's the best fit for me - it's a good school, I'm interested in several activities they offer, it's a two-year program, they don't require LSAT scores (in Brazil the LSAT is administered once a year, in Sept/Oct, which I missed).

I'll keep working on the framework as you said and post a final draft for some feedback. Thanks!

No problem. Yeah, I don't think you will find much information about the program. I went to Emory, and I don't remember hearing about anyone being in that program. We just had a lot of LLM students. I'll be happy to read your PS when you have it finished.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�