Reconsidering Law School. Mentioning rare disease in PS?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
rw8873

New

Reconsidering Law School. Mentioning rare disease in PS?

Postby rw8873 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Hi all,

I graduated in 2014 and have been working full time as a project engineer in the construction industry. Three months ago doctors told me I am (and always have been) missing my inferior vena cava, the huge vein that brings blood to your heart from the lower half of your body. There are 66 documented cases in English medicine, so this was a huge surprise. I'm pretty healthy otherwise, but it has given me a whole new perspective on life. I'm also worried about losing healthcare if the preexisting condition part is scrapped under our new leadership :shock:

I worked with underprivileged kids for 3.5 years during college and would love to tie my PS together with my health issue. I worked at a family law firm for one year during undergrad. Dealt with a lot of divorce cases involving battered spouses and children.

I'm considering law school again because I have saved up money, have no debt, and would love to get involved in my community to focus on working with children and possibly healthcare as well. Would trying to tie my work with kids & health issue all together for my statement be a waste of time? I have my letters of rec and transcripts already in LSAC, just need to take the test and do my PS.... Shooting for Feb test.

Edit: Oh I also forgot to mention... I'm gay as well, and a huge advocate for human rights. Aren't we all? I'd like to mention this as well. This has shaped me 'bigly.'

Thanks for all answers!

zot1

Gold

Re: Reconsidering Law School. Mentioning rare disease in PS?

Postby zot1 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:30 pm

Best way to test this is for you to actually write out the statement then see if it works.

rw8873

New

Postby rw8873 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:53 pm

Anybody else?

mudiverse

Bronze

Postby mudiverse » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:01 pm

I don't clearly understand how you intend to write a PS around your health condition combined with a desire for public service. While I'm sorry you have to deal with that and I'm sure it sucks, how does that mesh into a personal message you want to communicate (beyond a "whole new perspective on life")? If you can wireframe it here, I might be able to add more commentary.

Remember that the PS should be a very personal message that you want to communicate that gives insight into your perspective. I feel that too many people think that translates into "how many unique things about myself can I highlight?". Be careful of forcing things onto paper without it sending a strong message.

rw8873

New

Postby rw8873 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:37 pm

mudiverse wrote:I don't clearly understand how you intend to write a PS around your health condition combined with a desire for public service. While I'm sorry you have to deal with that and I'm sure it sucks, how does that mesh into a personal message you want to communicate (beyond a "whole new perspective on life")? If you can wireframe it here, I might be able to add more commentary.

Remember that the PS should be a very personal message that you want to communicate that gives insight into your perspective. I feel that too many people think that translates into "how many unique things about myself can I highlight?". Be careful of forcing things onto paper without it sending a strong message.

PM sent.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:00 pm

I think the underlying point of a PS is to eloquently and succinctly put what makes you tick and what drives you.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�