Personal Statement Yes/NO? Very first rough draft

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
aalvez

New

Personal Statement Yes/NO? Very first rough draft

Postby aalvez » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:21 pm

Last edited by aalvez on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

galadriel3019

New

Re: Personal Statement Yes/NO? Very first rough draft

Postby galadriel3019 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:14 pm

I think you have the beginnings of a strong essay but this needs work. The big issue I see is that it's not a lot about you. Frankly, I know more about your husband's struggles than yours.

This is about letting the admissions staff get to know YOU. Telling them you've downsized your house to prepare for school isn't a winning argument. What have you done, what have you studied, what are your passions that you think fit well at Texas?

There are also a few ways I think you can tighten your writing. For example, you don't need to say "the country" Honduras. Just Honduras is fine.

But I would sit down for a bit and think about what you want the admissions committee to take away about you. Being pregnant in high school and working through the challenges that came your way could be interesting, but it has to be more about you.

aalvez

New

Postby aalvez » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:59 am

Thank you, I have ideas that I want to convey I just was not sure which way to go. I mentioned the downsizing because I don't want them to question whether going to law school is a possibility (stopping full time work) since I have always worked full time. But if I am applying maybe that's a given and I can just leave that out. Being a non-traditional student has me questioning extra things that maybe I don't need to question.

Thank you, I'm going to go try this again. :D

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:03 am

Also, don't pander. I recognize that you think you need to go to UT, but you don't have to beg. What are your numbers? If sufficient for admission, then tell your story, assert your strengths, and see what happens.

aalvez

New

Postby aalvez » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:50 am

GPA 3.65, I take the LSAT in Feb, I'm PT'ing at about 158 but studying every day and 6 hours on weekend days. I'm shooting for high 165+ the day of. Honestly, I'm still in shock I'm applying for law school. I feel like this is to unreal to be true, you know? None of my family has graduated with a Bachelors, much less gone on to graduate school, etc. I'm here doing this application thinking this is so unreal, there's no way this can happen. It kind of freaks me out...

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:59 am

If you're not already, you may consider waiting to apply next year. Not only does UT like 167+ LSATs, a feb lsat is a bit late to be applying to your goal school. The june lsat is a great test administration. I'd consider bumping from feb to june if you're not PTing around your goal score by the date change deadline. That opens up september and december for retake if necessary. I get your thoughts, but make sure you're applying rationally, regardless of the excitement and emotion.

aalvez

New

Postby aalvez » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:07 pm

Quick question, since you seem to know things. If I am a URM (Mexican-American) does that give me some advantage?

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:37 pm

I don't know specifics of urm boost other than it gives a couple point boost on lsat, but you'll still probably want to be around 163/164 for a decent chance.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�