Provocative Vs Safe Personal Statements

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
UVA2B

Gold

Re: Provocative Vs Safe Personal Statements

Postby UVA2B » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:45 pm

Also late to the party, but I think there is something important to remember when you're drafting any PS, DS, or any matter of substance that isn't your GPA/LSAT in your application. Imagine yourself as a salesman. You can't change the product or the price (GPA/LSAT. I know you can retake the LSAT, but the analogy here is what matters). If I'm a person looking at your application, I'll see the product and the price, and that'll probably be determinative of whether I'm buying 95% of the time. You're working with that 5%. What you want to do with that remaining 5% is selling something entirely distinct from your price and product. You want to give it a third dimension that someone wouldn't otherwise derive from looking at you. That's why it's so important that your resume and relevant statements provide a unified sales pitch that convinces the admissions officer of how worth the price you are. If you are on a path for social justice against those being stepped on, and your resume with your statements can prove that, then you're reaffirming that person's desire to make room for you in their class. But if you tell an out of context story about how you saw a bully, wanted to end that particular injustice, and as a result wanted to become an attorney to help others, it'll seem tenuous if you're not backing it up. If I'm a person reading thousands of these every year, I'm probably pretty disaffected by idealistic youth proclaiming they want to fix the world's problems, because it's nothing new. But if your statement, artfully written and clear of purpose, fits exactly within the rest of your application, then it can likely be refreshing and give you that remaining 5% in full force. That's what you should strive to do. And that's why people vacillate heavily on being provocative vs. safe. If your entire application is genuinely provocative, let that come out in it. If you're just trying to stand out and it's largely disingenuous, go with something that doesn't give the reader who doesn't know you from atom pause to reconsider your product and price.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Re: Provocative Vs Safe Personal Statements

Postby SunDevil14 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:33 pm

Thanks for all the help, still trying to figure out what I want to write about.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�