Personal Statement on the topic of racism

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Ilovemydogxo

New

Personal Statement on the topic of racism

Postby Ilovemydogxo » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:34 pm

Hey TLS. I am African American, and I was wondering if I could base my personal statement on overcoming racism. My great-great-grandpa was a slave (he passed away due to being hung from a tree by his neck). My papa tells me stories that his father (my grampa) told him about his dad and those values that he held and what he went through have shaped the person I am today. Would this be a good topic for my personal statement?

cherrygalore

Bronze

Re: Personal Statement on the topic of racism

Postby cherrygalore » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:07 pm

Ilovemydogxo wrote:Hey TLS. I am African American, and I was wondering if I could base my personal statement on overcoming racism. My great-great-grandpa was a slave (he passed away due to being hung from a tree by his neck). My papa tells me stories that his father (my grampa) told him about his dad and those values that he held and what he went through have shaped the person I am today. Would this be a good topic for my personal statement?

Yes, absolutely. Just make sure the focus is on you, not your great grandfather or dad etc.

Bronze

Re: Personal Statement on the topic of racism

Postby 21157015576609 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:19 pm

cherrygalore wrote:
Ilovemydogxo wrote:Hey TLS. I am African American, and I was wondering if I could base my personal statement on overcoming racism. My great-great-grandpa was a slave (he passed away due to being hung from a tree by his neck). My papa tells me stories that his father (my grampa) told him about his dad and those values that he held and what he went through have shaped the person I am today. Would this be a good topic for my personal statement?

Yes, absolutely. Just make sure the focus is on you, not your great grandfather or dad etc.

People give this advice all the time, but it can mean a lot of things, so to add my two cents: an essay that is 80% about your great-great-grandfather can still be about you, and may even be a more powerful essay about you, if you project his values onto your own.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�