(Forcefully) incorporating diversity into PS?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Blue664

New

(Forcefully) incorporating diversity into PS?

Postby Blue664 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:25 am

So there are some schools out there at seem to specifically request that discussion of diversity factors be incorporated into the personal statement. The one I'm looking at right now is UChicago (who also happens to not have an explicit space for a diversity statement):

The Admissions Committee often finds that a personal statement that focuses on a unique personal attribute or experience is usually the most informative (as opposed to a restatement of your qualifications or resume). If there are particular aspects of your background (e.g., racial, ethnic, or religious identification, socioeconomic status, or sexual orientation) that you would like to highlight, please include this information in your personal statement.

As a non-traditional applicant, I'm basically writing a "why law" essay that focuses on the maturity I've gained through my work experiences (in a non "restatement of resume" way of course). However, my diversity factors only very tangentially relate to this narrative - my plan for my diversity statement follows a different track of my life entirely. I think I've seen on this forum that it's probably okay to attach a separate brief diversity statement anyway, but I also don't want to come off looking like I ignored the instructions.

What are people's thoughts? Try to put in a short paragraph that at least brings up the diversity stuff, although a bit awkardly? Try to weave diversity into my statement more substantively, although it will probably be clunky? Totally okay to leave it out/they will understand?

Thanks for any and all thoughts!

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Re: (Forcefully) incorporating diversity into PS?

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:50 am

Diversity seems more like a "if you want to, go ahead." Not really encouraging it.

Mr. Freeze

New

Postby Mr. Freeze » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:11 am

If it wasnt a big part of your life I wouldnt try to force it

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:33 am

If the best outcome you can imagine if you leave it in is a clunky/awkward statement, I'd just leave it out.

Blue664

New

Postby Blue664 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:41 am

Thanks everyone! So I guess I will leave it out and just keep the DS separate, it sounds like?

To clarify - I definitely have "diversity" factors (in the traditional sense that adcoms care about) that have shaped who I am, and I definitely want to write about them. Just a matter of whether to keep it separate, or try to combine with PS.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�