DO I HAVE TO MENTION "WHY LAW"? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
tracy9524

New

DO I HAVE TO MENTION "WHY LAW"?

Post by tracy9524 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:38 am

Hi,

I just finished my draft and did not know if I should add a sentence or two to say why I want to go to law school. I've seen sample essays did it and most of the time they seemed abrupt. I think I've done a good job telling my story and who I am in the PS. So is "why law" absolutely necessary?

cavalier1138

Re: DO I HAVE TO MENTION "WHY LAW"?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:10 am

It's not strictly necessary, but I favor having something there if your PS isn't clear on that point. So if you write about how you always loved taking care of puppies at the pound when you were young, you may need to explain how that ties in to you wanting to go to law school.

On the other hand, if your PS is already about your involvement with things that obviously tie in to law school, then you probably don't need anything else.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:42 am

On a separate perspective, as long as your PS doesn't point to strong conclusions against going to law school, you are fine leaving out a "why law" portion. PS is to give perspective into your life and personality. Certainly don't talk about how you always wanted to be an MD, without connecting that to somehow applying for JD, but you should be fine if you don't have anything specific about why law.

Why law is just a traditional and generally easy way to connect someone's history with where they are now and their future goals. So that's why it is very common to see in a PS.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:51 am

If you have a compelling story that has nothing to do with the law or law school, then by all means don't worry about it. I imagine a huge percentage of personal statements are 'Why law school' pieces. That is fine, but I'm sure it does not actually move the needle in the eyes of adcomms.

FWIW I wrote my PS about something completely irrelevant to the law, and my cycle turned out exactly as it should have.

Bach-City

Bronze

Post by Bach-City » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:54 am

Last edited by Bach-City on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:01 pm

But I was also under the impression that if the rest of your application or your academics don't exactly clearly indicate your interest in law, then you should mention it in your PS or at least your why X school essays. Thoughts?

2000andBeyond

Silver

Post by 2000andBeyond » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:35 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:But I was also under the impression that if the rest of your application or your academics don't exactly clearly indicate your interest in law, then you should mention it in your PS or at least your why X school essays. Thoughts?
I generally agree with this. I was pre-med. Totally on the track to go to medical school and finished all of my requirements to do so. All of my work experience is med school oriented. For a candidate like me, expanding on a life experience would not be sufficient. They probably wanna know why I switched up the game lol

tracy9524

New

Post by tracy9524 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:10 am

Thanks guys! It's been very helpful!

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:13 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?