Help! Is this topic on Hong Kong issue too risky?? Thanks Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
scarlettLi

New

Help! Is this topic on Hong Kong issue too risky?? Thanks

Post by scarlettLi » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:51 am

I'm from China and applying for the LL.M. program to several US law schools.

For the PS I'd like to express my opinions on the Hong Kong issue (some Parties in HK seek "independence" from China...there are different idealisms between mainland China and HK). I'm wondering whether this topic is too political? If my opinions are different from the admission officer of a specific school, will this topic hurt my application?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

galeatus

Silver

Re: Help! Is this topic on Hong Kong issue too risky?? Thanks

Post by galeatus » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:11 am

scarlettLi wrote:I'm from China and applying for the LL.M. program to several US law schools.

For the PS I'd like to express my opinions on the Hong Kong issue (some Parties in HK seek "independence" from China...there are different idealisms between mainland China and HK). I'm wondering whether this topic is too political? If my opinions are different from the admission officer of a specific school, will this topic hurt my application?

Hello fellow Chinese applicant!

Yeah, I think political themes are generally rather risky, unless it is one in which you have overcome the difficulties of being a social minority. Plus you have to make sure your opinion is logically sound - it's wrong for the admissions officers to mark you down based on your political inclination, but you definitely won't be viewed upon favourably if the support for your opinion is sloppy.

Further, do you think this theme would be the best one for you to show your strengths? It may show that you're passionate for a particular cause, but would it help with showing that you're a good candidate for the LLM program? If you can find a better angle to show your achievements and skills, then definitely go for that angle rather than this issue.

(Also. inb4 a debate on HK starts in this thread)

Mr. Freeze

New

Post by Mr. Freeze » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:44 am

The PS should be tied back to you. If the Hong Kong issue has had an impact on your life and somehow has a connection to your desire to get an LLM, (perhaps in international law) Then I could see it working. It should not be used as an Opinion article. PS readers don't want to be lectured at.

I agree with Galeatus, if your opinion on the issue also seems ill-informed or not considering all of the aspects of the conflict then you may come across as sloppy. Political issues are hard to navigate.

scarlettLi

New

Post by scarlettLi » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:03 am

galeatus wrote:
scarlettLi wrote:I'm from China and applying for the LL.M. program to several US law schools.

Hello fellow Chinese applicant!

Yeah, I think political themes are generally rather risky, unless it is one in which you have overcome the difficulties of being a social minority. Plus you have to make sure your opinion is logically sound - it's wrong for the admissions officers to mark you down based on your political inclination, but you definitely won't be viewed upon favourably if the support for your opinion is sloppy.

Further, do you think this theme would be the best one for you to show your strengths? It may show that you're passionate for a particular cause, but would it help with showing that you're a good candidate for the LLM program? If you can find a better angle to show your achievements and skills, then definitely go for that angle rather than this issue.

(Also. inb4 a debate on HK starts in this thread)
Thank you very much, I am thinking maybe I should draft from another angle now...

scarlettLi

New

Post by scarlettLi » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:04 am

Mr. Freeze wrote:The PS should be tied back to you. If the Hong Kong issue has had an impact on your life and somehow has a connection to your desire to get an LLM, (perhaps in international law) Then I could see it working. It should not be used as an Opinion article. PS readers don't want to be lectured at.

I agree with Galeatus, if your opinion on the issue also seems ill-informed or not considering all of the aspects of the conflict then you may come across as sloppy. Political issues are hard to navigate.
Thanks a lot! I am trying to working from another angle on my PS now...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”