White Jew- Diversity essay

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
jtawil

New

White Jew- Diversity essay

Postby jtawil » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:50 pm

I'll be blunt. I'm a white jewish new yorker applying to law school. But a lot of the schools I'm applying to have an "optional" diversity essay that we can submit with application.
Is it worth trying to show how I'm a diverse student or don't bother with that essay at all?

xnsch

Bronze

Re: White Jew- Diversity essay

Postby xnsch » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:17 pm

jtawil wrote:I'll be blunt. I'm a white jewish new yorker applying to law school. But a lot of the schools I'm applying to have an "optional" diversity essay that we can submit with application.
Is it worth trying to show how I'm a diverse student or don't bother with that essay at all?

Depends on what you want to portray as your diversity? But seriously don't write a diversity statement solely as a white Jew from New York. That on its own has to be the least diverse type of person at a law school. That's like the archetypal lawyer--just look at the Supreme Court

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:24 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingpin101

Bronze

Postby kingpin101 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:27 pm

If someone wrote a diversity essay solely on being a white jew, I'd probably auto-deny (unless you're 80 and survived the Holocaust).

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:24 pm

I wouldn't.

biglawhopeful18

New

Postby biglawhopeful18 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:33 pm

Last edited by biglawhopeful18 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Freeze

New

Postby Mr. Freeze » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:41 am

I Would not do it

jtawil

New

Postby jtawil » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:04 am

Thanks all. But what if I showed how I'm diverse without mentioning the white Jew aspect. Worth trying?

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:10 am

jtawil wrote:Thanks all. But what if I showed how I'm diverse without mentioning the white Jew aspect. Worth trying?

How are you diverse though?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:14 am

Rigo wrote:
jtawil wrote:Thanks all. But what if I showed how I'm diverse without mentioning the white Jew aspect. Worth trying?

How are you diverse though?

Yeah, it depends what else you're going to talk about. If you had some kind of really unusual upbringing (you grew up in a commune), or some kind of rare life or work experience (you had cancer/you were the youngest ever mayor of your hometown) that you would bring to bear on your law school experience, maybe. If you're just going to try the "everyone is diverse" angle, I wouldn't. (Obviously those are completely hypothetical examples.)

jtawil

New

Postby jtawil » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:02 pm

I was thinking to write about coming from a community that doesn't value education in which higher education is rarely done, and all high school students go directly into business.
Breaking through that barrier...

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:06 pm

xnsch wrote:
jtawil wrote:I'll be blunt. I'm a white jewish new yorker applying to law school. But a lot of the schools I'm applying to have an "optional" diversity essay that we can submit with application.

Depends on what you want to portray as your diversity? But seriously don't write a diversity statement solely as a white Jew from New York. That on its own has to be the least diverse type of person at a law school. That's like the archetypal lawyer--just look at the Supreme Court

this made me laugh pretty hard at work

ronanOgara

Gold

Postby ronanOgara » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:09 pm

jtawil wrote:I was thinking to write about coming from a community that doesn't value education in which higher education is rarely done, and all high school students go directly into business.

if anything, that should be mentioned in your PS

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:12 pm

jtawil wrote:I was thinking to write about coming from a community that doesn't value education in which higher education is rarely done, and all high school students go directly into business.

Don't write that. You're not diverse, and that's okay.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:31 pm

Now I'm deeply curious about a Jewish community that doesn't value professional education.

How is anyone in this place marrying nice young doctors and lawyers?

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:09 pm

You're trying too hard. You're not diverse.

Stop trying to make diverse happen. It's not going to happen.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Postby ZVBXRPL » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:20 pm

I just did some very quick googling about diversity statements
https://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admissions/ask-asha/we-are-world

My inclination is to say that the downside risk that they think this isn't a great diversity example is bigger than the upside potential. There are obviously so many Jews, even observant ones, at just about all top schools, and I don't think an admissions officer would read and think, oh, yes, this is an additional compelling reason to admit.

It may be a fine topic for the personal statement, but I just don't know that I'm sold that it feels like a type of diversity that is really going to impact the law school experience and what you can contribute to the class to justify the separate statement.

jtawil

New

Postby jtawil » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:26 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:

Now I'm deeply curious about a Jewish community that doesn't value professional education.

Hahaha we don't. Mostly marrying successful real estate moguls and wholesalers...

jtawil

New

Postby jtawil » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:27 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:I just did some very quick googling about diversity statements
https://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admissions/ask-asha/we-are-world

My inclination is to say that the downside risk that they think this isn't a great diversity example is bigger than the upside potential. There are obviously so many Jews, even observant ones, at just about all top schools, and I don't think an admissions officer would read and think, oh, yes, this is an additional compelling reason to admit.

It may be a fine topic for the personal statement, but I just don't know that I'm sold that it feels like a type of diversity that is really going to impact the law school experience and what you can contribute to the class to justify the separate statement.

Thanks so much!!

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Postby ZVBXRPL » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:34 pm

jtawil wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Hahaha we don't. Mostly marrying successful real estate moguls and wholesalers...

Sephardic (OP, BUT NOT THE NORM) vs. Ashkenaz (dr/lawyer). Lol an SY named Tawil. Smooth.

jtawil

New

Postby jtawil » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:41 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:
jtawil wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Sephardic (OP, BUT NOT THE NORM) vs. Ashkenaz (dr/lawyer). Lol an SY named Tawil. Smooth.

Hahaha bingo

Go Nats!

New

Postby Go Nats! » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:48 pm

Instead of asking about whether a diversity essay is a good idea, how about you just write something, post it, and we can tell you whether or not it's a good piece of writing?

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:24 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:27 pm

zeglo wrote:You're not diverse. Don't write one. I am basically the same as you.

I think you're confusing diversity with uniqueness. Nonetheless, don't write one.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�