Topic about not knowing what specialty of law I want..

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ggnobbq

Bronze

Topic about not knowing what specialty of law I want..

Postby ggnobbq » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:57 pm

is writing about not knowing what specialty of law I want to work in a bad idea? I've worked in several types of small/midlaw (if you will) areas of law (think bk, family law, personal injury, work comp) for a few years now, and can say I don't want to work at any of these types of firms after graduation. I was thinking of writing about some of the things I saw that I enjoyed from working at these firms, tho. some reoccurring similarities i found at all of these firms that I liked about the legal field. Then write about a few specialties that I think I may want to pursue, but ultimately state that I'm undecided and think that taking multiple classes in law school will help me solidify what I ultimately choose.

I just don't want it to sound like I'm indecisive, but at the end of the day I think most 0Ls don't really have a 100% definitive specialty of law they absolutely know will be for them.

idk, let me know if you think it'd be a waste to spend too much time on something like this and I'll think of something else.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Re: Topic about not knowing what specialty of law I want..

Postby Mr. Archer » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:02 pm

Yes, this is a waste. You would just be describing that you want to go to law school and eventually practice some type of law.

ggnobbq

Bronze

Postby ggnobbq » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:04 pm

I was at the same time going to relate like two or three life examples to bring up two areas that I would possibly be interested in. this would also get the admissions committee to know me as a person, as well. u still think no?

sweets91

Silver

Postby sweets91 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:18 pm

There are so many applicants who seem to forget that every piece of your application should be convincing adcomm why they should pick you. Especially the PS!

Basically, you don't want them to read your PS and have them think - so this person doesn't know what he wants or has trouble making decisions

If you're interested in a couple areas, give specific areas why, and spin it in a way that makes you seem flexible and interested in 1-3 areas rather than just undecided

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Postby Mr. Archer » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:26 pm

ggnobbq wrote:I was at the same time going to relate like two or three life examples to bring up two areas that I would possibly be interested in. this would also get the admissions committee to know me as a person, as well. u still think no?

This would make sense. Like the other poster said, you can make yourself be flexible instead of undecided. Your statement would be a "why law" statement with specific practice area examples, instead of just saying you'll go to school and take classes.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�