Should I/ how can I incorporate overcoming adversity into my personal statement/applications

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Should I/ how can I incorporate overcoming adversity into my personal statement/applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:47 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Should I/ how can I incorporate overcoming adversity into my personal statement/applications

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:28 pm

I don't know what it is about adversity on admissions essays. People seem to think that it's the magic key to unlocking the admissions officer's crusty old heart and getting a "Yes" along with a fat scholarship offer. There are plenty of amazing personal statements that don't spend any time dealing with the difficulty of growing up poor/moving a lot/in a bad neighborhood/with a drug addict/etc. And there are plenty of amazing personal statements that do deal with those topics, because the adversity was formative in driving the candidate towards law school. So write what actually works for you.

To put it bluntly: if the adversity you've overcome in your life was really so integral to your attending law school that it needed to be in your personal statement, you wouldn't need to ask how to incorporate it.

Smc1994

Silver

Re: Should I/ how can I incorporate overcoming adversity into my personal statement/applications

Postby Smc1994 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:31 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I don't know what it is about adversity on admissions essays. People seem to think that it's the magic key to unlocking the admissions officer's crusty old heart and getting a "Yes" along with a fat scholarship offer. There are plenty of amazing personal statements that don't spend any time dealing with the difficulty of growing up poor/moving a lot/in a bad neighborhood/with a drug addict/etc. And there are plenty of amazing personal statements that do deal with those topics, because the adversity was formative in driving the candidate towards law school. So write what actually works for you.

To put it bluntly: if the adversity you've overcome in your life was really so integral to your attending law school that it needed to be in your personal statement, you wouldn't need to ask how to incorporate it.

I think I love you.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�