Diversity Statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
emilycyoung1

New

Diversity Statement

Postby emilycyoung1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:28 am

What qualifies as a good diversity statement?
Last edited by emilycyoung1 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: Diversity Statement

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:43 am

You can definitely write a DS from the perspective of growing up poor, but this sounds like it's much stronger for your personal statement.

There's no reason to write a diversity statement if you know that you're really not bringing a lot of diversity to the class. No one's going to read your application and think, "Why didn't she figure out how to sound more diverse?" If you really think your childhood gives you a totally unique perspective on life, then do it. But I think you'd be better served by putting the things you mention here in a PS.

emilycyoung1

New

Postby emilycyoung1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:57 am

In my PS I talk about my interest in international law and how it has pushed me to work for the department of defense and develop an organization at my university to raise money to provide education scholarships to girls in third world countries. Is this not something viable for a PS?

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:21 pm

That sounds like a good PS, too. But based solely on these two posts (so I haven't read your PS, and you know what works for you best), I think that your best PS would combine the two. You were a girl who grew up in tough conditions, and you're improving conditions for girls in tough conditions. It sounds like it should integrate pretty well.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�