Hard time coming up with PS Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
mstatelawdawg

New

Hard time coming up with PS

Post by mstatelawdawg » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:07 am

I am a straight white able bodied middle class male who has had it pretty easy in life. I appreciate that fact and I am aware of my privilege, but it doesn't make for easy PS writing.

Here's the idea I have right now: Someone very close to me was the victim of a sexual assault in college. As a college student myself, I see the difficulties that victims go through in reporting and the harshness of the legal system towards these particular crimes. This is one area of the legal profession that I feel called to make a difference.

How does that sound as a PS topic?

3.94, waiting on LSAT, PT average was 166 (if it helps)

beckettbuddy

New

Re: Hard time coming up with PS

Post by beckettbuddy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:14 am

Last edited by beckettbuddy on Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:19 am

beckettbuddy wrote:This a really "hot" topic. I don't mean that in a good way. If you're set on addressing it, be sure to demonstrate that you understand both sides of the issue. You never know who is reading your statement. My guess is that it will be a stodgy, older white man. Keep that in mind.
Have you met anyone from any admissions department at any law school in the country?

OP: Write a statement and see how it feels. The topic needs to be personal, so make sure you're tying it back to your personal investment in wanting to help victims, not focusing on their story. And with something like this, it really should be one of the core reasons you want to go to law school. If it isn't, pick something else.

beckettbuddy

New

Post by beckettbuddy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:23 am

Last edited by beckettbuddy on Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

mstatelawdawg

New

Post by mstatelawdawg » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:25 am

beckettbuddy wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
beckettbuddy wrote:This a really "hot" topic. I don't mean that in a good way. If you're set on addressing it, be sure to demonstrate that you understand both sides of the issue. You never know who is reading your statement. My guess is that it will be a stodgy, older white man. Keep that in mind.
Have you met anyone from any admissions department at any law school in the country?

OP: Write a statement and see how it feels. The topic needs to be personal, so make sure you're tying it back to your personal investment in wanting to help victims, not focusing on their story. And with something like this, it really should be one of the core reasons you want to go to law school. If it isn't, pick something else.
Sorry Cavalier, I was being too cavalier / cute in my word choice. It seems more likely to me that a law school admissions committee member will be a centrist establishmentarian than a SJW. That's all I was trying to say. You're right that I haven't met any.
So wanting victims of sexual assault to receive equal treatment by the legal system is an SJW stance or somehow a controversial opinion??**

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:26 am

beckettbuddy wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Sorry Cavalier, I was being too cavalier / cute in my word choice. It seems more likely to me that a law school admissions committee member will be a centrist establishmentarian than a SJW. That's all I was trying to say. You're right that I haven't met any.
I guarantee you that, with a few exceptions, no admissions officer in the country is conservative enough to even use the dumbass "SJW" acronym. Law schools are, by and large, havens of progressive thought. Any school that even pays lip service to public interest law will love a statement dealing with a desire to help victims.

beckettbuddy

New

Post by beckettbuddy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:27 am

beckettbuddy

New

Post by beckettbuddy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:30 am

mstatelawdawg

New

Post by mstatelawdawg » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:39 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
beckettbuddy wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

I guarantee you that, with a few exceptions, no admissions officer in the country is conservative enough to even use the dumbass "SJW" acronym. Law schools are, by and large, havens of progressive thought. Any school that even pays lip service to public interest law will love a statement dealing with a desire to help victims.
So if I am passionate about it and it is one of the core reasons why I am going to law school, I should use that topic?

PS. One of my professors is looking over the statement so I know it won't be garbage.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:02 pm

mstatelawdawg wrote: So if I am passionate about it and it is one of the core reasons why I am going to law school, I should use that topic?

PS. One of my professors is looking over the statement so I know it won't be garbage.
Absolutely.

The PS doesn't have to focus on hardship and adversity in your life. It's just supposed to let the admissions officer(s) known more about who you are and what drives you.

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:05 pm

I wrote mine about a long-time hobby in my life and loosely tied it to law and curiosity.

SlippinJimmy

New

Post by SlippinJimmy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:45 pm

beckettbuddy wrote: Have you met every admissions officer in the country?

Edit: The case for an extremely onerous process for victims is the prevention of possible wrongful accusation. I'm very liberal. Using the term SJW does not connote my opinion about such people. My girlfriend is one. I have only been suggesting that there are two sides to this issue and treating it as black and white might not be to OP's advantage. Hang me if you like
SJW is a term of ridicule. The "warrior" part is ironic. I doubt there is an admissions officer working at any law school worth applying to that views this topic as a ding against the applicant. If it's written terribly and OP comes across as self-serving or a dilettante, then yeah, but that's different.

beckettbuddy

New

Post by beckettbuddy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:41 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”