Diversity Statement Questions

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
cieltan

New

Diversity Statement Questions

Postby cieltan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:47 am

I came up with a rough draft for my DS focusing on my experience growing up in a single-parent immigrant household and would love to share it with people to improve it. But I have some questions on the format and other problems that could arise from my topic.

• How long are diversity statements usually?
  • I'm a first generation Chinese American (non-URM) and in recent years, my mother has been making around 90k a year but in the past we were struggling to stay afloat paying for the house and extended family members. Would it reflect poorly to state the economic struggles I faced growing up even though I'm part of the lower-middle class now?

KatCoco

New

Re: Diversity Statement Questions

Postby KatCoco » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:52 pm

cieltan wrote:I came up with a rough draft for my DS focusing on my experience growing up in a single-parent immigrant household and would love to share it with people to improve it. But I have some questions on the format and other problems that could arise from my topic.

• How long are diversity statements usually?
  • I'm a first generation Chinese American (non-URM) and in recent years, my mother has been making around 90k a year but in the past we were struggling to stay afloat paying for the house and extended family members. Would it reflect poorly to state the economic struggles I faced growing up even though I'm part of the lower-middle class now?

1. One page is the typical guideline
2. I think it would be totally fine to talk about your struggles growing up if it was an important part of your upbringing and has affected your perspective. Can't imagine how it would reflect poorly on you.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�